New Apple Switch Ad: Alex Schoknecht

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arn, Nov 27, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's okay.. not really anything special.. one of those which is going to be forgotten (really soon)

irmongoose

3. macrumors member

I think it's pretty hard to differentiate Alex Schoknecht and Jeremiah Cohick. I mean, they both talk about being switchers and their dads not willing to switch. They're the same age and sex, as well. I personally hoped Apple would try something new rather than just mentioning the same just with another person.

I do like the ad, however, and the funny thing is, I'm in pretty much the same situation myself (although I've never had a PeeCee). I guess there are lots of similar potential customers (switchers with unenlightened dads) out there, which probably is why Apple is emphasizing this a bit. As long as Apple has today's market share, recommendation is still the most effective advertising method, IMHO.

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm thinking that the regular people ads are getting a little long in the tooth. They paved the way for the new marketing stategy - but it will most likely fall to the celebs to continue it and make it note worthy. There are just only so many unknown people you can watch - the celebs bring to it a different, more powerful presentation that link familiarity outside the Apple context that works better - it always does, no matter what the product.

D

5. macrumors newbie

Re: switch ads...

Booorrrriiiiinnngggg. I'd forgo any and all celebrity ads (except maybe Will Ferrell) for Ellen Feiss any day... "Beep beep, beep beep beep..."

Save the celebs for more in-depth, "feature" articles, movies, etc.

6. macrumors P6

wdlove

When do you think the Will Ferrell ads will show up? He definitely lightens up the screen!

7. macrumors newbie

re: will ferrell

check it out:

http://technojunkie.org/berniec/ferrell_switch.html

I guess it's a "spoof" ad--played before one of the recent Steve Jobs keynotes. Ya gotta love Will Ferrell--wonder if he made all of that up...

8. macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you Tim, that's the one that we saw at MWNY last July! Saving it to a CD!

9. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: switch ads...

Ah, I don't think you're going to see Ellen in anything Apple anytime soon - if you read her interview you'd know that she's going to be possibly doing something with MTV - and I'll stand by my celeb comment - that's going to be the future of the Switch ads.

D