Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Apple registered three new trademarks: Morph Pad, Ultrabeat, and Sculpture. They were registered on Jan. 15. They are all under the description of:
Computer hardware and software; computer software for use in authoring, editing, synthesizing, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio data

Maybe these have already been announced as features and I just haven't heard. But if not, let the speculation begin!

17th Hole

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2004
State of Oblivion
I read that Ultrabeat and Sculpture have to do with Apple's acquisition of Logic and a upcoming release of it, I believe. I saw those names mentioned, actually, in this month's Macworld magazine in an article about Logic, but I can't remember the specifics and I don't have the mag in front of me. Not sure what Morph Pad is...maybe it morphs your iPod into a musical instrument!

Actually, I do remember now. Ultrabeat was a software drum synthesizing tool and I think Sculpture was a Guitar amp/synth type thing.

Somebody find your copy of Macworld and get the specifics.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah, these are shipping products (see above link)

arn

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
takao said:
hm then the only thing to wonder about is the "morph pad" can't imagine anything under that name

My money is a software add-on to Garageband. Altho it is an anagram of "Mr Poh-Pad" so it could be a device to support the needs of any elderly people with less digestional control than they used to.

I'm only guessing, you understand, don't go and think that I've got the skinny on all this ...

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
g30ffr3y said:
am i to assume then that one who buys logic pro 6 gets these nifty apps/add ons right in the box???
They are NOT included in Logic Pro 6, and they may or may not be included in Pro 7. There is some speculation that they may be sold individually, as the previous set of plugs were, in spite of how weird that sounds- why bundle everything together only to start selling things piecemeal again. Even the folks that are heavily involved in Logic development and marketing don't really have an exact idea of which way it will be done. I certainly hope they will be included in 7, but the main thrust of 7 that is certain will be an updated GUI.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
takao said:
hm then the only thing to wonder about is the "morph pad" can't imagine anything under that name
My guess would be some physical (most likely) or virtual X/Y controller for crossfades, filter sweeps, anything where you can assign properties to an X/Y axis (maybe even X/Y/Z with touch/velocity sensing capability for the Z axis) and control a "morph" between the properties. I could see this being something that would have functionality in a variety of apps- audio, video, graphic arts, photography, and be usable like a trackpad on a laptop the rest of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.