Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRomero

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
Three things that I would LOVE to see in the new Apple TV:

1. Digital tuner I can connect my OTA antenna to
2. DVR for said OTA antenna
3. SDK and App Store

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Apple television 2015

If this new Apple TV set-top box really does have an App Store, built in wireless router, tv tuner, and gaming capabilities I think this is the final test to see how it all works out before it's incorporated into an actual Apple Television with new UI to be released in first half of 2015.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I been saying for ages, long before Xbox One, that AppleTV should have HDMI in as well as out. That way instead of putting it on a secondary TV input, it goes inline with the cable box on the main input. This lets it overlay or hijack the cable signal - send AirPlay video to it and it pops on the TV without having to fiddle with the TV source. Or overlay scores or stocks or a guide on top of the cable TV.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How about Movie streaming service through iTunes like Netflix or Amazon Prime? Also would be nice if they could fix the Netflix streaming issue where it buffers and starts streaming in SD instead of Super HD for no reason which the problem has been going on since December 2013.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
If only they would be open to supporting all of the video formats, they could gain a MUCH larger percentage of the market. As is, I will be sticking with my jailbroken Apple TV's.

Just get air video on your iPhone and that plays all video formats to your Apple TV. Or get Beamer on your iMac.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Really the biggest thing I want is for it to be able to be jailbroken/FireCore, If the AppleTV3 was capable of that then I'd have a couple of them, but as it is I make due with an AppleTV1 (Silver) and and AppleTV2 (Black)

Better integration for local/LAN storage solutions would be great. I'd still love to see a companion Home Media server product to go with it for Local (network) Media.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
If you use Beamer it does all the conversions for you on the fly. I haven't found a video format that hasn't worked to date!

The XBOX One doesn't descramble the signal but rather overlays it's own UI onto the screen. I could see Apple doing something similar. I would absolutely love this feature.

Right but the cable isn't plugged into the Xbox One- its still plugged into your box. You just HDMI out from the box to the One to the TV. I think what the person wanted was the ATV to have the actual input to take a feed to replace the box, which as others and you have suggested, as a LOL. :)

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Three things that I would LOVE to see in the new Apple TV:

1. Digital tuner I can connect my OTA antenna to
2. DVR for said OTA antenna
3. SDK and App Store

Even better than support for an OTA antenna would be built in local channels via the internet, where you can watch the past X episodes of any show Apple could capitalize on it by allowing for previous episodes/seasons to be purchased on iTunes, much like iTunes Radio does. The can call it, wait for it, iTunes TV. :apple:

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
"AppleTV4,1 appears to be a reference to an entirely new device that is more than just an iterative update to Apple's existing set-top box."

??? Says who?

Wishful thinking amd no evidence whatsoever!

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Apple....I hope you've listened to the overwhelming demand for an app store on the apple TV. Things like a cable tuner, built in wifi router, etc are all very much secondary to content: give us content, or fail miserably. We want apps.

Frankly, I just want Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, PBS, and Plex and I'll be content. The first four for streaming, and Plex for all of my backpacking videos, recorded OTA broadcasts, and assorted media I've purchased from multiple different services over the years - NONE of which is in an apple format, and none of it will ever be since it's a lot easier to give my money to Roku, who supports PLEX, rather than spend hours and hours converting everything.

If you can manage a built in OTA antenna with DVR, I would appreciate that too.

What would be really killer for Apple is to come out with a netflix/hulu competitor with a subscription rolled into itunes match for <$120 a year. Keep the cost low with a couple ads per hour (similar to hulu plus) and have access to popular shows next day as well as a library of older content.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
"AppleTV4,1 appears to be a reference to an entirely new device that is more than just an iterative update to Apple's existing set-top box."

??? Says who?

Wishful thinking amd no evidence whatsoever!

Says the fact that an update to existing hardware is usually noted by the second number "3,2" while new hardware is marked by the first number "4,1"

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
If this new Apple TV has a digital tuner and sufficient storage to save >6 hours of HD content, I would pay *significantly* more than $99 for it.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Recent rumors have indicated Apple is planning to release a redesigned set-top box in the near future, and hints of the new hardware have already appeared in iOS 7 software builds, according to 9to5Mac and developer Hamza Sood.

There is a reference to the AppleTV4,1 listed in the iOS 7 Apple TV framework that handles AirPlay. AppleTV4,1 does not correlate to an existing Apple TV device, thus pointing to new hardware.

The current Apple TV (which was tweaked in 2013) is listed internally as AppleTV3,2, while AppleTV3,1 refers to the 1080p device released in 2012. AppleTV2,1 references the first ios-based Apple TV released in 2010.

According to 9to5Mac, references for AppleTV4,1 first appeared in the original version of iOS 7 released in September, but were not discovered until recently. AppleTV4,1 appears to be a reference to an entirely new device that is more than just an iterative update to Apple's existing set-top box.

An updated Apple TV has been expected for quite some time, as Apple's last refresh of the device was a minor tweak last year that saw the device upgraded to a smaller A5 chip. The device has otherwise retained the same look and functionality since the third-generation Apple TV was released in March of 2012.

Rumors have suggested that the revamped box might include game support, an Apple TV-based App Store, and support for Bluetooth controllers. Apple is also said to be testing a set-top box that combines the Apple TV with wireless router functionality and the company may also be testing a version of the device with a TV-tuner component allowing users to pull in content from their existing cable boxes, overlaying channels with an Apple interface.

Recently, Apple revised its online storefront to give the Apple TV greater prominence, suggesting it has moved past the "hobby" status that Apple executives have long assigned it. Over the course of the last several months, Apple has worked hard to boost the content it offers on the Apple TV, adding a number of channels including ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, KORTV, Redbull TV and The Beatles channel, which was just added today.

Article Link: New Apple TV Hardware References Found in iOS 7 Software Builds

This is intressting..

iHobby

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Why there hasn't been a new Apple TV yet...

Why there hasn't been a new Apple TV yet...

SOFTWARE

* The UI needs a complete update to handle Apps, yes like iOS

BUT

* The UI and the Apps need to be designed, adjusted or tailored to work for a 10 foot interface style and the methods of control worked out

* The App Store for Apple TV needs to contain Apple TV specific apps only to create the best customer experience and I'd wager all this time has been (and continues) to rewrite key apps to be amazing on a 32" or larger screen with a HDTV aspect ratio, properly scalable graphics, and reworked layout.
Look for AT LEAST 50-100 Apple TV 4 10 ft. interface ready apps at launch.

* These apps will definitely include 'channels' as we have now but improved and likely to be more uniform in UI.

* When searching for a show or movie, like the Tivo, will find the content and tell you which service has it for streaming, rental or purchase (maybe Apple will buy CanIStreamIt) and let you pick and play immediately.

* A Live TV App could allow you to see what Live TV options each other app offers to you in one place and to 'flip' live channels. The live content NOT available would be shown as an color muted option with the chance to add service or app from within the Live TV app.

* The Apps could be divided by what you do with those apps:
* See (video content, TV/Movies)
* Hear (Music, audio podcasts, white noise)
* Play (Games)
* Communicate (FB, Twitter, Google+, FaceTime, iMessage,
Instagram, Pinterest)

* Know (weather, sports scores, stocks, Flipboard, Maps)

I believe Apple has also been holding out for more content arrangements and to figure out how to incorporate more Roku/Plex level choices without killing iTunes content sales. Amazon does both content sales AND a Netflix style streaming service. Apple needs to offer a similar service or partner with streaming services.

HARDWARE

Also, to run the next generation TV settop box requires more horsepower.

Responsiveness to user interaction, better buffering, smother graphics transitions require not skimping on processor, RAM and buffering storage.
A new Apple TV would work well on current iPod Touch hardware with maybe a little more graphics processing thru a separate onboard chip.
One of the biggest frustrations with current settop boxes is the slight delay between selecting options and other interactions when we've been accustomed to instant responses from our smart phones and tablets. Also, an App Store and environment require far more storage than the current AppleTV offers. This won't mean the Apple TV size radically changing...maybe an extra 1-2 inches.

My predictions (with a sprinkle of hopes thrown in) for the Apple TV 4.

CONTENT/MONETIZATION

Maybe a partnership with Aereo to get local programming......

Maybe a partnership with content providers (give them a very small piece of hardware sales as an incentive, ad revenue, customer consumer profiles (MINUS names and addresses, more demographic info and content choices), a measuring tool for ratings measurement.

What do you guys think?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
There won't be a cable tuner in this. A cable tuner does more than tune to a station. It also descrambles a signal. There is no way Charter or Comcast would allow a 3rd party device do the "initial" descrambling. It could receive the descrambled signal and place a layer on top to show a grid of the stations available though.

CableCard.
Every cable company has to offer them and their internal boxes have to run off them.
If Apple decided to go that rout the cable companies would have no choice.

However, it would make more sense to simply stream content like channel apps do on other iOS devices.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
Things I don't need and won't pay extra for:
  1. AirPlay
  2. DVR
  3. Tuner
  4. Games
Things that might entice me to upgrade:
  1. UI upgrade with search across all subscribed channels. Roku does this already.
  2. iTunes search finds all my purchased video content, not just my currently active season passes.
  3. Second-screen and remote control from my iPad.
I'm sure that Apple will support Amazon Prime streaming just as soon as Amazon supports streaming from iTunes. So no matter what Apple does next (or just after next), the Roku box will stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.