Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
No Movies or Tv shows within folders.

When selecting a genre under music and select all albums it displays the whole entire library no just from that genre.

No date shown in the Music metat data or comments displayed.

No itunes or Movie Extras.

Subtitles don't work on movies with a resolution higher than 1200.

Can't select the output resolution.

Air Speakers has vanished.

These things need to fixed as of yesterday.

Im seriously pissed off that it's such a huge step backwards over the original.

detoxguy

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009

When selecting a genre under music and select all albums it displays the whole entire library no just from that genre.

Guess you shouldn't buy it then. Aren't you glad you did your research before purchasing this product? Imagine if you bought it before knowing you wouldn't like it!

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida

Want to know the reason?

The Apple TV is smaller and it's more of a streaming service now so many options and extras that was in the first Apple TV has vanished.

Updates are needed and we will see a gradual uprise in the software.

I personally love it and don't need all that, maybe because I never owned the 1st gen Apple TV.

I am only waiting for an update to introduce apps on the Apple TV to take it beyond.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Guess you shouldn't buy it then. Aren't you glad you did your research before purchasing this product? Imagine if you bought it before knowing you wouldn't like it!

One would expect the features of the original to be carried over.

Why would any company make an inferior product? and called it version 2. it's more like version 0.5

There is no way in the world any owner of the original can like the new model better, i can't see one thing it does better, Maybe netflix, and thats only useful to the U.S

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida

Why would any company make an inferior product? and called it version 2. it's more like version 0.5

There is no way in the world any owner of the original can like the new model better, i can't see one thing it does better, Maybe netflix, and thats only useful to the U.S

They like to switch from the first gen to the 2nd one because it's smaller. No hard drive to store your movies/tv shows, just rent and buy. And for the fact that soon there is going to be apps on the device that you can download. Yeah and also Netflix, Flickr, YouTube.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007

Its got a faster CPU. If they ever allow a Plex or even XBMC app, I would get one and move one of my aTV1's to a SDTV using the composite output patch. I use aTV as a front end to MythTV and to play DVD rips. I tried playing HD mkv files and it stutters in XBMC and Sapphire, so I wouldn't mind having one with a little more horsepower.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

I'm sure all of that is coming eventually. Most of it is a limitation of iOS (AirSpeakers, iTunes Extras, etc).

Streaming (and buffering) is drammatically better on the new Apple TV since it uses QTKit and not the old QuickTime 7 framework, and AirPlay will be a unique feature (once it actually arrives). And Jobs has pretty much said apps are coming soon.

Porting the old Apple TV's UI to iOS had to be a big job. So, I'll withold judgement until iOS 4.2 ships for the Apple TV.

It took three years to get the old Apple TV's software where it was when they ported it. If you're an Apple TV owner you should be used to waiting.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is due to the complete rewrite that had to occur to move it from Tiger based Quicktime 7 to iOS 4.

I am not happy with the missing features, but I am sure a fix will be in place soon.

The new Apple TV otherwise is MUCH better than its predecessor. Much faster, less issues.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
I never owned an original Apple TV. They were too expensive for what they were, and I had plenty of other devices that did the same thing.

But the Apple TV2 absolutely schools the Xbox 360/PS3 at media streaming and I'm happy for it to do just that.

PwnageTool has other things in store for it, however, and I think that's where many potential Apple TV2 buyers were coaxed into picking one up.

Furthermore, I invite you to point out exactly where Apple refer to the Apple TV as the Apple TV 2. Certainly not on the box, the store, or the promotional website subsection dedicated to it. It's known simply as "Apple TV." The "2" is just the communities way of differentiating it from its predecessor. They certainly didn't call it "version 2," unless you know better?

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
The user interface i could put up with until it's slowly made better with updates.

The video stuttering that us Pal countries are experiencing is not aceptable.

The #1 point of this device is to playback video and it does a poor job.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
To be fair, all I'm not liking about the Apple TV so far are the following:

-No RCA audio out - This is more a complaint at myself and the poor audio on my hdmi monitor, I'll probably get an HDMI AV receiver to fix this.
-TV Shows should be sorted so you can click into them and look at the seasons, but this appears to be a problem that is in iTunes too.
-No Volume Control - But this is a problem with my Monitor...

i really am enjoying the Apple TV so far. I liked the original, but I wasn't prepared to spend the amount Apple asked for. £99 is that magical number for a purchase, it's where games consoles go to as they are reaching saturation.

Hopefully apps will appear, I'm watching ESPN Gamecast on my 2nd monitor right now and I would really love to pay for an NFL App that streams my teams game and lets me see the scores of the other games in progress.

It was enough for me to sell my PS3!

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I also hate that the "In Theaters" under movies shows them all alphabetically instead of most recent first, unless I am missing something.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Ridiculous that iTunes LP and Extras aren't supported out of the box, but I'm sure its coming soon.

Airplay will remedy the remote speakers, it should come when the next update to iOS 4 is released next month. This WILL be an upgrade, because it will work with audio AND video.

I feel it's a decent upgrade. I consider it a decent improvement over the first-gen, even if a bit imperfect.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
I never owned an original Apple TV. They were too expensive for what they were, and I had plenty of other devices that did the same thing.

But the Apple TV2 absolutely schools the Xbox 360/PS3 at media streaming and I'm happy for it to do just that.

PwnageTool has other things in store for it, however, and I think that's where many potential Apple TV2 buyers were coaxed into picking one up.

Furthermore, I invite you to point out exactly where Apple refer to the Apple TV as the Apple TV 2. Certainly not on the box, the store, or the promotional website subsection dedicated to it. It's known simply as "Apple TV." The "2" is just the communities way of differentiating it from its predecessor. They certainly didn't call it "version 2," unless you know better?

^Couldn't agree more.

I love my new Apple TV and I plan to get one for every TV in my house. This version most definitely will have more mass appeal. I can't wait until AirPlay for iOS and for a possible App Store.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
One would think that Apple would add additional features not take them away.

If you look around you can by the Original 160gb Apple TV for the same price as the new one. It's superior in every way.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
If you look around you can by the Original 160gb Apple TV for the same price as the new one. It's superior in every way.

There won't be any future software upgrades or new features for the original.

I think it depends on how you are using it. Most of the things you've listed are software changes that are easily added or fixed. The entire interface had to be rewritten for iOS, so I expect it will improve rather quickly.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
One would think that Apple would add additional features not take them away.

I'd disagree. The original cannot stream Netflix, will not support AirPlay, it is larger/louder/consumes more power and will no longer be issued software updates.

I understand that you are disappointed, but I don't think it's fair to say it's a lesser product. For me it's a better product for the things mentioned above as well as the future possibilities with an iOS based TV device.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Airplay we have no idea how it's going to change anything. So one can't say wait till that comes.

To remove AirSpeakers was criminal.

NextFix the only added feature that 99% of the world can't use.

It used to be great to buy Movies Tv Shows & Music from the Apple TV, now i can't do that. I have to do everything from the Computer.

In Australia we can't rent Tv shows, i was happy buying them now i can't.

Movie rental prices here are so high i might as well buy the movie, i can't do that anymore. Same with music.

I was watching a movie the other night and my modem re synced loosing the connection for a minuet and the Apple TV lost connection to my Shared Library. This surely can't be the case ? No internet one can't watch stream anything ?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
To remove AirSpeakers was criminal.

I am not at all surprised that Airspeakers isn't featured due to the differences in what the new Apple TV does compared to the old one.

As there is no content on the Apple TV, it is not the unit which will lead Airspeakers. Using the remote App, you can now stream from the iTunes which has the content to other speakers. It is possible when the iOS update happens we find that we can control this from an Apple TV.

It would have been a very odd decision to spend development time on a feature which was going to be made obsolete by the first firmware update a month after the unit was released.

Personally, having bought an Apple TV when released, knowing that a fairly major update was due so soon, I'm going to wait for that update until I start complaining about any missing features. We effectively haven't got the finished product yet. Maybe Apple should have waited for the update before releasing the unit, but then we'd have been complaining that we have got iPhones and iPads with Airplay but no Apple TV to use them with.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
I agree with you, in the future the APple TV 2 will turn out to be superior than the original.

I agree with that they should of held it back until it at least had the same functionality as the original.

Lucky i kept my original so the wait till the update start coming it wont be painful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.