Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I agree that the new Apple TV should at least replicate features that were in the original one, at least up to the point where said feature can be accomplished without internal storage. AirSpeakers should work, though I understand how purchasing content would be problematic.

I have 3 original Apple TVs and like them very much. I'm thinking about adding 3 more new Apple TVs for my kids' rooms - for them it'll be perfect since all they're going to do is stream content already stored in our main iTunes library.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I read more than once in this thread that there will be no more software updates to the original AppleTV. However, no one knows if that will prove to be the case. Apple has stated that it has no plans to bring the new features of the AppleTV 2 to the original model. That does not mean they won't issue any new software updates. In fact, since they're still selling them (albeit in Clearance), I feel it is likely that the original will at least get some update, if only to handle changes in future releases of iTunes.

There will undoubtedly come a time when Apple will, indeed, cut off the old units. However, since they are still selling them, they will continue to support them for some time to come. Whether this support entails any software updates, however, is up in the air.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
It's funny to watch a movie stutter free i need to use the original Apple TV. The new one is driving me nuts with subtitles. Trying to work out how to get the to display.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
To be fair, all I'm not liking about the Apple TV so far are the following:

-No RCA audio out - This is more a complaint at myself and the poor audio on my hdmi monitor, I'll probably get an HDMI AV receiver to fix this.
-TV Shows should be sorted so you can click into them and look at the seasons, but this appears to be a problem that is in iTunes too.
-No Volume Control - But this is a problem with my Monitor...

You must not have your metadata tagged correctly. I have two seasons of a tv show and on the main TV Show screen there are two buttons, one for each season. I choose Season 2 and then have a list of shows in that season, in episode order. I keep it on the Unwatched tab so as I watch an episode, it leaves the list so I know where I'm at. Perfect!

If you have a mac, use the TV tag Automator script to tag your shows, found in the How to sticky at the top of this forum. It works great! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/242398/BatchRipActions-1.0.4.dmg

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
You must not have your metadata tagged correctly. I have two seasons of a tv show and on the main TV Show screen there are two buttons, one for each season. I choose Season 2 and then have a list of shows in that season, in episode order. I keep it on the Unwatched tab so as I watch an episode, it leaves the list so I know where I'm at. Perfect!

If you have a mac, use the TV tag Automator script to tag your shows, found in the How to sticky at the top of this forum. It works great! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/242398/BatchRipActions-1.0.4.dmg

I'm pretty sure that isn't what he meant.

What people want is to just see the show name on the main menu and then, when you click on that you see the episodes. I'm sure that will be coming fairly soon, and hope so as it does make the list very long at the moment.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I'm pretty sure that isn't what he meant.

What people want is to just see the show name on the main menu and then, when you click on that you see the episodes. I'm sure that will be coming fairly soon, and hope so as it does make the list very long at the moment.

That's EXACTLY what I see. In COMPUTERS/TV Shows menu I see two buttons: True Blood Season 2 and True Blood Season 3. I click on True Blood Season 2 and I get a list of all the episodes in that season, in order.

What else do you want? Three levels of menus like True Blood/True Blood seasons/episodes for that season? I suppose that would be nice if you have a huge library but do most people have a huge library of TV Shows they watch over and over again?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
bah, it's just a little black small streaming thing that is quiet, doesn't get hot and is good for streaming netflix and itunes shows. cheap and boring. i most likely buy one after we buy a new TV. seriously, it's a worryfree streaming device and it's good at that.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
That's EXACTLY what I see. In COMPUTERS/TV Shows menu I see two buttons: True Blood Season 2 and True Blood Season 3. I click on True Blood Season 2 and I get a list of all the episodes in that season, in order.

What else do you want? Three levels of menus like True Blood/True Blood seasons/episodes for that season? I suppose that would be nice if you have a huge library but do most people have a huge library of TV Shows they watch over and over again?

I meant what you describe in your second paragraph. A typo probably didn't make it clear.

It would be very handy as some of us do have very large collections, and if you have a show that has many seasons then it would be much tidier if they were stacked like this.

As I understand it, that is how the Original Apple TV worked and the amount of feedback that Apple must have received on this issue makes it fairly likely that it will be added.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Yes it is how the original worked. The new Apple TV is pathetic for organising tv shows, now i have a list from here to mars and back. Same goes for movies.

jajohns8

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Have to agree with BlackMango on this one.

The stuttering playback of HD material (Itunes store bought or encoded with Handbrake) has been a huge disappointment that gets to the core of what the device is supposed to do.

Throw in how Itunes Metadata is now being handled (actually ignored or mishandled), subtitles not working, Home Sharing not working consistently and yes, you have a completely inferior experience to the Apple TV 'First Generation.'

I have shelved my ATV2 in favor of the first generation one until Apple fixes these issues.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
jajohns8, what part of the world you from ?

The subtitles not showing and stuttering are the biggest 2 issues they are the core of the machine and the part that should be performing perfectly.

I can't believe that i have wasted 2 weeks trying to resolve subs and stuttering issues.

Like jajohns8 i have gone back to the original until these issues are fixed.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
I'm afraid I'm the same.

I'm a bit of a tech geek and love to get the latest gadgets to play with. The original ATV suits the family needs perfectly (two young kids), but there seem to be so many things not working properly with the ATV2, I'm holding off from buying one until I see evidence in the form of software updates that these bugs are being looked at.

At the moment it does seem like a product hastily thrown together with software which hasn't gone through an awful lot of testing. Poor show Apple.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Yeah, Scrolling through 9 seasons of Family Guy is a bit of a drag. I like the Unwatched tab in order of air date and for that I'm glad that I bought iFlicks!

I've found 720p to play really well but only on N networks or ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.