New Apple TV Runs iOS 4.1 and Jailbroken Already!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by newagemac, Sep 28, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

From Apple Insider:

Well that didn't take long. It will be interesting to see what apps the jailbreaking community can come up with.

Now that we know that Apple TV is running iOS 4.1, I bet it is a certainty that an App store will be released. My bet though is this app store will be more like "channels" of content sort of like podcasts.

A MLB, NBA, and NFL app would be awesome for starters. Add some live news apps and you now have a $99 cable cutter device.

2. macrumors member

Fantastic, never really hacked my previous one (I did hack it to try, but I didn't keep it that way), but I'd definitely give it a shot with the new one.

3. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I presume you'll have to install it using the USB port?

Get ready for loads of threads asking "where can I get a micro-USB adaptor?". :D

4. macrumors regular

exatly what will jailbreaking an apple tv do to it? allows you to download and watch movies such as from netflix for free from the app store???

5. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

6. macrumors 6502a

Veetle (limited channels for iOS though) will rock on this thing.

7. macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

If it lets me run Hulu, I'm in. Otherwise, not much point for me personally.

8. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Ditto. Though I hiiiiiiiighly doubt they would let that happen without a Plus subscription. It's clear Hulu intends to start monopolizing on multi-device users, as they have with iPad/iPhone/iTouch, Xbox, Playstation, and Vizio/Sony TVs. I don't think they'd let the little AppleTV slide.