Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I wouldn't doubt if the extended battery life is for a focus on sleep tracking - that's a fresh landscape for  Watch.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I am surprised seeing how people think lasting a 'full day' is fine for a battey. Many other wearables last up to a week and i'm expecting Apple will want to get in on the sleep tracking bandwagon which means it needs a battery to last at least 3/4 times the current run.

Reactions: iAmAsar

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
This doesn't make any sense at all. Devs already make apps for the watch, iPhones, and iPads. Making an app that conforms to a circular screen would be no more difficult than making one that conforms to a rectangular one. A lot of apps on the AW already have a circular design, including some of Apple's apps. Most app developers aren't developing for fun. They do it to get paid. If a new source of revenue is available (apps for a circular design), they will go after it. It's called work. It's what people do.

As someone currently involved in it, I feel as though another form factor would not be positive for the Apple Watch/iOS development community.

Apple is already abusing the agileness of its Developer community in my eyes, the last thing we need is an expansion of WatchOS with a radically different form factor in the next few years. They still have to fix WatchConnectivity communication issues which can randomly cripple apps, so when they start prioritize crap like that, they'll get in better graces.

Most developers aren't jumping at new devices and form factors as an expanded audience anymore, unfortunately.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I wouldn't doubt if the extended battery life is for a focus on sleep tracking - that's a fresh landscape for  Watch.

Doubtful .. there are already plenty of quality sleep tracking apps and the battery life of the Series 2 is more than sufficient to wear while sleeping. I wear it while sleeping every night and also use it to track a workout of an hour or more each day with GPS.

I only ever charge mine in the morning while taking a shower/getting dressed and every now and then before bed.

Personally, I am glad to give me wrist a break for an hour of so each day without wearing the watch. Not sure what is gained by more battery life unless it is to power more features.

Do people really want to wear a watch for more than a day without taking it off? When you take it off, just drop it on the charger, just as easy as dropping it anywhere else. For the most part it is fully charged an hour later.
[doublepost=1483457118][/doublepost]
I am surprised seeing how people think lasting a 'full day' is fine for a battey. Many other wearables last up to a week and i'm expecting Apple will want to get in on the sleep tracking bandwagon which means it needs a battery to last at least 3/4 times the current run.

Why? Do you plan to wear it for 3 to 4 consecutive days without ever taking it off? If it last 23 hours a day, that is more than sufficient for sleep tracking. The Series 2 battery lasts much longer than that most of time.

Great sleep tracking data from AutoSleep...

IMG_1128[1].PNG IMG_1129[1].PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueMoon63

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Doubtful .. there are already plenty of quality sleep tracking apps and the battery life of the Series 2 is more than sufficient to wear while sleeping. I wear it while sleeping every night and also use it to track a workout of an hour or more each day with GPS.

First party - Apple probably feels that it cannot advertise something first party related to sleep tracking when their official battery life claim is around 18 hours. Your usage is nothing more than antecedent.

What if that "radically different form factor" improved the popularity of the product and resulted in a big increase in sales?

That sounds like much more than making it round. I moan at the idea of spending time adding support for another resolution instead of working on the direct functionality of an app.

Reactions: Otaviano

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
I think we will see this same design as long as Apple offers a watch. There might be other designs to offer along side it, but the current form factor will stay apples signature when it comes to watches.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, if only battery life improvement, then I'll pass. I get easily two days with my AW2 Nike+ and at night I always sleep without a watch anyway so it charges overnight. No big deal.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
There have been some guys on this forum who have complained the Apple Watches are too small or too unisex in design for them. If Apple wants to, it can cater to them with a big LTE option. If not, Samsung is apparently going to attempt to.
I'm one of those guys. Too small and too unisex. It's not a look that appeals to me. That's not to say it's bad or wrong. Just doesn't appeal to me. Oddly enough, the unisex design doesn't appeal to my wife either. She likes the look of the Pebble Time Round. I primarily wear chronographs so Sammy's S2/3 appeal to my personal aesthetic.

Reactions: iAmAsar

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I'd hazard a guess that it makes sense to those who like round watches.
[doublepost=1483455623][/doublepost]
Sounds like your predictions were off for this thread :D

I would hazard a guess that people that like round watches will be in for a disappointment.
[doublepost=1483458722][/doublepost]
What if that "radically different form factor" improved the popularity of the product and resulted in a big increase in sales?

I don't get what you want from the watch? New bands are the most radical thing they can do to it for form factor. We all know what a bunch of whining that would cause.

You want a round watch with apps designed for square displays?

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I wear my Apple Watch every night for full sleep tracking. Battery goes from 100% to 95% 8 hours later and I get my full sleep pattern and heart rate information when I wake. I also use a silent alarm.

No big deal here and I hate seeing reports that the Apple Watch needs a better battery if it is going to be used for sleep tracking. I still end the day with 60%+ battery life.

The comparisons to other smart watches needs to stop. They are twice the size or at least huge compared to the Apple Watch. Checking specs, they use a battery twice the size and that is why it is so bulky.

It's just hard to compare a Watch that has is much bigger and bulkier and then say it lasts longer for battery. I get the point though.

I charge my Apple Watch only when I shower and wear the Watch 23+ hours per day. Still finish a week with 60% battery with only the charge when showering. I know I know "we're happy for you". :)

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I like the square/rectangular watch form factor. I really wouldn't want a round one because of the wasted screen real estate and the huge size I'd need to shove the current size screen into the round form so I wouldn't LOSE actual, workable screen real estate.

I might not mind if they made it thinner, but it doesn't need to be. I may not mind if it were more rectangular, because it would still be a good form factor for apps (think smaller iPhone screen).

I think we'll see materials and bands updated, but not the actual form factor this time around.

Reactions: Otaviano

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
The upgrade needs to be significant. The series 2 was pointless. The watch now has GPS, so you can track your run without an iPhone? Who runs without their phone? What if they have to make an emergency call during the run? At least the Samsung S3 can make LTE calls if you choose to.

I still have the first version. There was no factor that even entice me to buy the second.

Also, alot of people who don't have the Apple Watch asks me "What can this do that the iPhone can't?" The only thing I can respond to them is that it tracks your heartbeat. Otherwise, the phone can do everything this thing can. Not that it matters to me, I bought it purely for Mickey. If the series 3 only offers slightly better battery and a little faster, I'll continue to stick to version 1.

This is going to feel like iPhone 7. Same design, but just a bit faster. I'll pass.

This response makes no sense. Who would WANT to run with their phone?

Emergency call? How did runners before cellphones survive?

Reactions: curtvaughan

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
That's fine if you like the looks of the current models. A lot of people aren't so keen on those looks.
That's for Apple to worry about, not me. Don't think they don't read these forums and see all the calls for round faces and a thinner design. It'll get a redesign when they decide it's time. I'm just happy that my Watch will not look outdated so quickly. I have over $1,000 invested in two apple watches and bands.

Reactions: BlueMoon63

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
As someone currently involved in it, I feel as though another form factor would not be positive for the Apple Watch/iOS development community.

Apple is already abusing the agileness of its Developer community in my eyes, the last thing we need is an expansion of WatchOS with a radically different form factor in the next few years. They still have to fix WatchConnectivity communication issues which can randomly cripple apps, so when they start prioritize crap like that, they'll get in better graces.

Most developers aren't jumping at new devices and form factors as an expanded audience anymore, unfortunately.
WatchConnectivity (WC) issues and a different form factor are wholly unique topics. You're conflating two separate issues into one unified argument as if they can be solved by the same solution. They can't and a round form factor is not going to change any issue with WC. Speaking of... round is the word I think you were looking for since there's nothing radical about it.:)

That sounds like much more than making it round. I moan at the idea of spending time adding support for another resolution instead of working on the direct functionality of an app.
Looking at this from the outside, I'm not seeing the issue. I would think (correct me if I'm wrong) a dev has to 1. evaluate whether their app has any value on the AW. 2. What elements of their app will translate to the small form factor. 3. Is there a monetary advantage to having an AW app. If a round form factor is present, the question becomes 4. Is it worth it to develop "round" assets? If it isn't you don't. Same with questions 1-3.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
A no-go for me - as long as it still needs the iphone to be 'smart'
The Apple Watch will probably add LTE this year. My guess. However, I can shop and send text messages and emails with my phone at home and me out shopping. I use Apple Pay and my city has wi-fi and everything works fine. But you are right. LTE is your point basically. Not sure I want to pay even $5 more per month when I bring my phone with me most of the time. Shopping in my city and all coffee shops I visit allows me to skip bringing my phone. AT&T free wi-fi also covers me in many places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.