Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Alfred
Applejack
Transmit
Candybar
Chat Transcript Manager
Flickr Uploadr
FontExplorer X Pro
Magical
MenuCalendarClock
MPlayer OSX Extended
Temperature Monitor (personally I prefer the iStat Dashboard widgets)
SuperDuper
VirusBarrier X6
VLC

I still use AppZapper, Transmission 2.22 (12099) the last version before it went Intel only.

As already been said, ClickToFlash but the extension is so much better than the plugin. I mainly view everything in HTML5.

Extensions:
AdBlock
JavaScript Blacklist
Ghostery
Ultimate Status Bar
Middle-Click AutoScroll
A Cleaner YouTube
Shortly
FacebookBlocker
Cloudy

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I haven't seen anyone mention these:

Carbon Copy Cloner, IMHO, is essential for those who enjoy maintaining older PPC machines. It makes transferring your entire drive to a new drive or RAID setup an absolute snap. CCC is pretty much "pay what you can afford" software. I'm ashamed to say that I used it for nearly a year before paying anything.

HandBrake is pretty handy for encoding video for your iPod or ripping DVDs. The preset toggles make it a no-brainer for people who don't work with video daily. However, there are also plenty of options for user-defined parameters if one feels so inclined. I believe that the last PPC version is Handbrake 0.9.4. HandBrake is open source GPL.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I like the idea of TenFourFox but it seems slow on all my PPC computers.. from my PowerMac G4 to my Pismo. Maybe it performs significantly better on faster ones though.

I still like Camino, and the new beta version is pretty great.

Though my favorite browser right now is Omniweb 5.11, it's very fast, pretty light weight.. the only issue is the tab bar is on the side...

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
you guys all forgot about:

Bean, it's a word processing app. opens in a second

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

I can't forget about apps I don't use. The only good thing you think to say about it is that it opens fast. Thats great and all but that is a very silly reason to give as a positive. How about how it works/runs?

I have been a Word user since 1996 and recently upgraded to Office 2011 (Intel only) on my MacBook. Office 2004 and 2008 are very solid on PowerPC though.

Nova77

Original poster
May 12, 2011
I like the idea of TenFourFox but it seems slow on all my PPC computers.. from my PowerMac G4 to my Pismo. Maybe it performs significantly better on faster ones though.

I still like Camino, and the new beta version is pretty great.

Though my favorite browser right now is Omniweb 5.11, it's very fast, pretty light weight.. the only issue is the tab bar is on the side...

Tenfourfox 4 was slow on my PPCs too... But Tenfourfox 5 is a fast beast!!

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Tenfourfox 4 was slow on my PPCs too... But Tenfourfox 5 is a fast beast!!

Hmm, odd I've got 5 on all my Macs and it still seems sluggish.. even things like the control panels are sluggish for me.

I see 6 RC is out now so I'll probably go ahead and try that soon.

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
I'll list all of the apps I'm using:

- iTunes
- Photoshop CS3
- Candybar
- Handbrake
- iBank
- VLC
- Rucksack (unzip / unrar)
- Office 2008
- uTorrent
- MacTubes
- Cloud
- Toast 10 Titanium

evilcat

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
For HD video playback

I had an HD rip of the first Star Wars movie in MKV format and while QT could play it (so long as you didn't want to ffqwd and didn't mind waiting for the thing to buffer), the best app I discovered for playing that video was Movist, which is available at http://code.google.com/p/movist/

I don't think it's been updated too often, but it does the job. It's ridiculous that 4 cores at 2.5GHz can't play back 1080i because of the way the regular apps are coded!

I would go with Safari over TenFourFox at this point if you browse Flash-heavy sites and are using Leopard. Flash just kills 104fox.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
FlashtoHTML5 is a Safari extension that automatically makes Safari play Youtube videos in HTML5. It works great and it's free.

I know you can opt into the HTML5 trial on the Youtube page, but if you clear your cookies you have to go back and re-opt in. This solves that and in my experience seems to work better anyway.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34428/flashtohtml5

It does require 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0 or later.

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Here's some more apps whose latest versions still support PPC:

OpenOffice (office suite)
LibreOffice (offshoot of OpenOffice)
ToyViewer (lightweight imageviewer/editor)
Seashore (another image editor)
Burn (disc burning)
Vox (music player)
SABnzbd (Usenet downloader)
Celestia (astronomy simulator)
Mini vMac (Mac Plus emulator)
Sheepshaver (MacOS 7-9 emulator)

jimyjoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
I am new to macs and have just got myself a dual 2.0ghz ppc and i am looking for a peice of software that will copy a dvd for me a bit like dvdfab would for windows but on mac. I have handbreak but its not really what i am after i want to make an identical copy of a dvd.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be a great help.

Many thanks

Joe

Nova77

Original poster
May 12, 2011
I am new to macs and have just got myself a dual 2.0ghz ppc and i am looking for a peice of software that will copy a dvd for me a bit like dvdfab would for windows but on mac. I have handbreak but its not really what i am after i want to make an identical copy of a dvd.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be a great help.

Many thanks

Joe

I think Mactheripper is what you're after! Takes me about 15 min to rip a DVD on my G4 1.67ghz laptop for a complete copy (menu and all the stuff...). Works well.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This truly is laughable. The lack of power of my PowerBook G4 cost me a night of sleep once when I was in college. I had to edit and export a video that I shot, all in 1080p. It edited decently, but it was still slow. When it came time to export, it took 3 hours to export a video 7 minutes long. My MacBook that I have now (which would have been about a year old at the time) can do the same video in about 1/3 of the time.

No compatibility issue there, as the software was running perfectly.

I have a lot of respect for the PPC Macs, and my wife is currently quite satisfied with my PBG4. They have aged very well. But to say that the problems you get on PPC Macs are not related to power but to compatibility is simply not true or accurate. YOU may be content with a PPC Mac, but that doesn't mean it fulfills the needs of others.

Trying to edit 1080p video on a machine with only 2 GB of RAM is a bit silly. Of course it's going to be slow. Also please note that the PowerBook G4 wouldn't support Core Image, which would slow it down considerably in many instances, no fault of the CPU's.

Comparing a PB G4 to a new MacBook is somewhat silly, though... higher clockspeed, loads more cache, an actual memory architecture, and oh, two cores not one.

You probably would have done okay on a Dual 1.42 GHz G4, and fine on a Dual or Quad G5.

victoral.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Puerto Rico
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This truly is laughable. The lack of power of my PowerBook G4 cost me a night of sleep once when I was in college. I had to edit and export a video that I shot, all in 1080p. It edited decently, but it was still slow. When it came time to export, it took 3 hours to export a video 7 minutes long. My MacBook that I have now (which would have been about a year old at the time) can do the same video in about 1/3 of the time.

No compatibility issue there, as the software was running perfectly.

I have a lot of respect for the PPC Macs, and my wife is currently quite satisfied with my PBG4. They have aged very well. But to say that the problems you get on PPC Macs are not related to power but to compatibility is simply not true or accurate. YOU may be content with a PPC Mac, but that doesn't mean it fulfills the needs of others.

What codec did you use? The one that came with your camcorder? Thats weak. You should have exported the files that came from your camera to the Apple Intermediate Codec, then use either iMovie HD or Final Cut (Pro or Express). And Exporting to the final MP4 or h.264 MOV file would have taken no more than a few minutes. Serously! I'm not kidding! This is my workflow.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
What codec did you use? The one that came with your camcorder? Thats weak. You should have exported the files that came from your camera to the Apple Intermediate Codec, then use either iMovie HD or Final Cut (Pro or Express).

Hey man, look who's so awesome! This is exactly what I did, don't presume to know how my workflow goes from one single post! I went to college for this stuff, and while that doesn't mean I know everything, it does mean I know way more than you think I do. If you must know, I captured HDV, converted to AIC, edited in FCP 5, and then exported to MPEG-4.

And Exporting to the final MP4 or h.264 MOV file would have taken no more than a few minutes. Serously! I'm not kidding! This is my workflow.

Now look who knows so much. H.264 is a very slow codec to encode, much slower than MPEG-4. My MacBook can't encode H.264 at real-time, so there's no way my PBG4 can. I exported to MPEG-4, but it still took forever because of the filters and video it had to process.

I don't know how you think you can determine my entire workflow from a single post. I'm not going to detail my entire workflow for everyone, as most people don't want to hear it, nor is it relevant to this thread. That was an assumption on an incredible scale, you basically didn't use much information from my post and assumed that I idiotically don't know how to edit video. Try again.

kevin242

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2006
thanks, this thread is great. I have picked up quite a few applications (most recently celestia!) another great app I've used with my power book is Playback. It lets you stream (or upload) music and videos to a ps3 or xbox 360. It worked like a charm with my ex's ps3. I would upload videos to her ps3 and watch them on the big screen.

Nova77

Original poster
May 12, 2011
Again, catfight is stupid. Just post some PPC apps or get out. Thanks for those who took their time to give a list of apps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.