New Aston Martin DBR9

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 22, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

This will moisten Mr ed's pants! :eek: :p :p :p

The spec speaks for themselves ;)

600+bhp
    V12
    6 Speed Semi-Automatic.
    Lots and lots of carbon fibre.
    Road going version of new Le Mans car.
    Fast as *$@! as well. :D

Now listen very carefully 007! :p :p :p

Thoughts?

2. thread starter macrumors G3

It's wild it's brutal, it's British! The country's most famous supercar builder has just unveiled this ultimate evolution of the DB9 - a car that will not only be seen on the road, but on the race track at Le Mans.

The newcomer promises to be one of the most extreme cars Aston Martin has ever built and draws heavily on the firm's history, resurrecting the DBR badge first used on the DBR1 in 1956. Conceived as a racing car, homologation requirements mean that a small number look certain to be built for Aston's best customers. As yet, there's no word on price.

Set to join rivals including the Maserati MC12 and still-secret roadgoing version of the Lamborghini Murciélago GT-R, the DBR9 is tipped to offer a 600bhp-plus evolution of the 6.0-litre V12 that powers the standard car, plus a new six-speed semi-auto gearbox.

Lightweight composite panels will be combined with the car's advanced aluminium and carbon sandwich chassis, while uprated suspension will be developed to ensure the DBR9 can handle the rigours of some of the world's toughest race tracks. Bigger carbon composite brakes will guarantee huge stopping power, while massive alloy wheels and super-sticky tyres should increase the amount of grip on offer. However, while the technical specification of the newcomer will be massively uprated over standard, it's the wild-looking exterior which is sure to generate the most debate among fans.

Virtually every body panel has been modified to improve performance. At the front, there's an enlarged radiator grille for better engine cooling. The tarmac-scraping bumper, meanwhile, is designed to force air around the car, rather than underneath it, and sports extra brake-cooling vents to force fresh air through the front wheels. The bonnet is expected to be made of carbon fibre, while the sweeping roofline is likely to get extra cooling vents not shown in our pictures.

The doors remain near standard, however, while massive side sills widen the car's track, and have also sprouted high-performance side exit exhausts.

At the rear there's a new wing, as well as a huge under-body venturi tunnel designed to suck the car to the ground at high speed. Inside, the car is likely to sport a stripped-out interior and roll cage to help stiffen the chassis further. Bucket seats and race regulation fire extinguishers will replace the leather and aluminium trim of the standard machine.

First examples of the car are likely to hit the road in 2005, and will spearhead the marque's return to international motor racing. 'Works' cars will be built by Prodrive, the racing outfit based in Banbury, Oxfordshire, which is currently responsible for the design, development and management of the car's entire racing programme.

At present, Aston plans to field two cars at the Le Mans 24 Hours and up to six others in a variety of events across Europe and America.

"The design of the DB9 lends itself to be translated perfectly into the DBR9 race car," explained Jeremy Main, Aston Martin's Director of Product Development and Motorsport.

"While the DBR9 has been planned for outright performance, every surface sculpture and design detail has been developed to the same high standards as seen on Aston Martin's road cars.

3. macrumors regular

That thing is hot!!! :eek: :eek:

I kinda see it as what the Ferrari Challenger Stradale is to the 360 Modena.

4. macrumors 6502

Ever since i saw jeremy clarkson's review of the Aston Martin DB9 on Top Gear it has been my dream car.

5. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Holy jesus, "mr ed's" pants are officially moistened! :eek:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    *waits for rotten veggies*
    I dont think it's very attractive at all. Specs are wonderful though.
    *ducks*

7. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You best be pulling my chain boi. No one talks ill of the DB9 in this little corner of the intarweb!!!! :mad:

:D :p ;)

8. macrumors 65816

krimson

I was getting my hotpocket out of the microwave, and i realized why... it looks like the Chrysler Sebring to me.. a car im not fond of :p ;)

9. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A Crysler!?!?!?!?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

10. macrumors 65816

krimson

heh, i work with a few ex-pat's, i know how to get you brits riled up ;)

11. thread starter macrumors G3

same kind of thing... although it's competing more with Lamborghini's Murcielago R-GT and Ferrari's 575 GTC.

12. macrumors 68020

mymemory

I am agree, the rear look better than the front. The car that I liked the most was the Lotus Sprit and of course some of the Lamborginis.

13. macrumors regular

Yeah, I saw this car a few days on some auto enthusiast website.

I just stared for about 30 seconds, without moving a muscle.

This car has VERY aggressive styling, but I really think the asphalt-scraping front bumper could use more practicality, if this car is indeed becoming road-worthy in its unmodified form. The styling is even more impressive considering it's an Aston Martin. I mean, look at the larger body lines of the Vanquish and DB7, then look at the Audi Le Mans supercar. There's absolutely no comparison in how fast the car LOOKS. THIS car looks absolutely supersonic.

Okay... that was rather gushy. Still, very nice car.

P.S. - Now that I look at it again, it actually reminds me of a stylish ricer (almost an oxymoron), with the exaggerated skirts and high rear spoiler, but oozing Aston Martin style.

14. macrumors regular

sorry, double post.

15. macrumors regular

So looking at this thread has prompted me to go on a Web foray into new supercar concepts, and I dug up this. Can you tell what this is? It's SUCH a radical departure from the previous generation.

[​IMG]

16. macrumors 65816

krimson

17. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

that new aston kicks some serious arse. nice wheels! bellas rodders!! :D
    that pic 2 posts up is the latest concept for the skyline, i think it was unveiled in tokyo a while back. nice but the next skyline won't look anything like that! its a shame but its true! (krimson hinted but not everyone will know what a gtr r35 is!:D:D)

18. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just looked at the pictures again, and still, god damn that looks good, and it has the POWAR to back it up, so, so, so sweeeeet! :cool: :D

19. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

beautiful car... amazing specs too...

anyone know a price yet? (i'm sure i dont wanna know...)

20. macrumors 65816

krimson

i believe the phrase "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies here. :D

21. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Better pic (no watermark) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 65816

krimson

k, i retract my statement from before.. it looks more like a CLK

23. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It looks nothing like a CLK!

CLK 55AMG, you think the DBR9 looks like this? :confused:
    [​IMG]

24. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no kidding i cant afford it yet, but i can still be curious right now... does anybody know a price? has one been set?

25. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think he meant this CLK:

[​IMG]