New At Mac Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac.head.high, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Hey people. So I'm a sound designer, mac user, and an avid console gamer. But I just got my new G5 Dual-core 2.3GHz with the NVIDIA 7800 GT and Apple Cinema Display 20' Flat Panel, and I need some advice.

I'm new to non-console gaming and high(er) end video cards, so I'd love any advice on what are the best video settings for Halo. And/or any video games advice in general for a newbie to the mac gaming scene. I'm just looking for the smoothest game-play possible with no screen distortion.

Let me know. Thanks.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

trial and improvement....

make sure you always have pixel shaders on the game is not worth playing on a system like yours without them.

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Best settings for Halo?

Everything on maximum. Whether your 7800 will shine or not is another question. :D

4. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I have an iMac 2.1Ghz and this set-up works pretty well for me:

Pixel + Vertex Shaders

Detail Objects
    Model Reflections

FSAA: x4
    Lens Flare: Medium
    Model Detail: High

Resolution 1280 x 800

However, given the power of your set-up, I'd try it at 1600 x 1050 and see how well that runs - maybe upping the FSAA as well.

Be warned though, although you're running a system which should be able to handle all settings on max, Halo (as pointed out to me in another thread on this page) has been badly optimised for Mac and won't run as well as it should.

Let me know how you fare - I'm interested.

Qoxiivi

PS: You should try Unreal Tournament 2004 - that's a beautiful game and should fly along on your Mac with everything on max - it's a much better quality port that Halo.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Considering the power you got there, I would recommend:

Advanced Pixel Shaders - makes everything a bit shinier, improves the detail on most objects (particularly grenade explosions), improved lighting effects and makes it more pleasing to the eye. If its too slow, Pixel + Vertex Shaders.

FSAA - 4x (possibly 6x depending on how smooth it runs) Reduces jaggies, hits framerate hard but definitely worth it.

Lens Flare: Medium or High, you might not notice it much in game (although every Covenant weapon uses this to some extent) but in cut scenes it really adds to the mood.

Model Detail: Definately high, you'd be mad not to.

In-game setting menu

Texture Quality and Particles - High! Looks beautiful like this.

Specular (like a glowing effect) and Decals - On, definately add to the mood of the game.

Shadows - I play without them, as they hit the frame rate quite hard, but you might want to keep it on.

Resolution - As high as possible. This probably has the biggest effect on framerate. 1600 x 1050 sounds a bit ambitious but there's no harm in trying ;)

Sound should be fine on default.

As Hector says it can be a bit of trial and improvement, but this should be a good framework to start off with.

6. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Oh, and go to System Preferences/Energy Saver/Options and set your processor to 'Highest'.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I was playing Halo on my G5 last night and MAX out all the settings. Had no problem playing the game at all. :D

Multiplayer, though, might be a different story...

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With your hardware, you should be able to crank the settings up as high as you want and still get good framerates.

My G4 (see sig) can handle Halo at 1024x768 with just about everytyhing turned up (except FSAA, which I have at 4x). I haven't played it for a while though, I could probably get better framerates if I did some fiddling.