New Aussie tourism campaign - bit controversial....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK guys, what do you think?

The new campaign aimed at overseas would-be tourists shows some stunning footage of various places around Aus, mostly the outback and beaches, has some funny commentary and is based around the catch-phrase "So, where the bloody hell are you?"

My question to you is, are you offended by this? Our PM says it's fantastic, the ad itself is gorgeous but there's a bit of umming and ahhing in the press at the moment as to whether foreigners would be offended.

It begins in an Outback pub with a man saying, “We’ve poured you a beer”. Then follows a sequence of idyllic images including a boy at the seaside saying, “We’ve got the sharks out of the pool”, and partygoers watching Sydney harbour fireworks saying, “We turned on the lights”. A traditional Aboriginal dancer says, “And we’ve been rehearsing for more than 40,000 years”. The advert ends with a bikini-clad young woman stepping out of the sea asking: “So where the bloody hell are you?”

I like it, I reckon it's a great ad. I can't be bothered posting the ad, I just wanted to know if any of you are offended by the phrasing?
    Personally I think anyone offended by it is a pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boy.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I just saw the ad on the news before, and I think it's great! Here's a link if you want to check it out. It looks good, the dialogue isn't too cheesy and it conveys a bit of that great Aussie humour.

I might add that I think the lady that says "we've turned on the lights" should be used in EVERY ad campaign for Australia.

As for the controversy of the phrase, I read in a news article before something to the effect that if Harry Potter can say it in movies, there's nothing wrong with it being in an ad. And I totally agree.

3. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Good ad, I like it, should work well, and if anyone complains they can cram another pickle up their tight @ss

4. kjwebb macrumors regular

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Haha, I like it! If I was an Aussie I dont think I would find it offensive.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Uhhhh, I have no idea whats so controversial here. I just watched the ad (which was great) but I couldn't find anything that someone might find offensive. Is the version I saw some edited version or something?

Can someone please fill me in?

7. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

The usage of "bloody hell" is in question. Nobody here gives a rat's arse about it but the press are questioning whether people in other countries would find it offensive. I know some Americans who would definitely cover their ears and I don't know how well the translation would go down in China or Japan.

I love the ad, finally something that's not blatantly catering for the seppos (Paul Hogan tossing another "shrimp" on the barbie - we don't call them shrimp, they're prawns) or trying too hard to be cosmopolitan and mature. This is fun, colourful, funny and really does have some amazing images.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you guys really want anyone who may be potentially offended by this to come and visit you anyway? Strewth...

9. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, it's fun corrupting the easily offended. Send em down and send em to me......:D

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm offended. Not by the phrase (you can "bloody hell" all you want ;)), but by the assumption that Aussie-land's climate is automatically better than here, simply because it's warmer, and there are more chances for hot women to wear bikinis. Pff. :rolleyes:

11. Lau Guest

I think the point is would you find it offensive as a non-Aussie? Tourist campaigns are usually aimed at people who don't live there. ;)

I think it sounds great - and I don't think the kind of people that are offended by that are the kind of people who would enjoy Australia, really.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm not offended...

...But I can see how parents with young kids watching it might be. It's probably best left off of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, but other than that, it's fine.

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Brilliant - Looks like such an awesome place - is it really like that?

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Buying my tickets now!

I'm sold. That was a great ad, makes me want to go there! Seriously, I don't have any problems with the language or content. Just remember, don't go swimming in the ocean and you're all good :)

15. mpw Guest

Id have gone further with something like:
    "So where the bloody hell are you? ya flaming gala!
    Australia: Give it a burl."

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It sounds great to me. Audacity and humour are what's needed. Being reserved hardly ever works with the majority of people. Fun isn't quiet. :D

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the ad understandably embellishes aspects, but it's not far from what it's actually like. Anywhere that'll put up with a madman such as myself must be pretty special. :p

The vast majority of our coastline is safe. :cool:

18. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, that girl that says "we've turned on the lights" at the NYE fireworks in Sydney would not be able to stand, let alone speak in a coherent sentence.
    Good. It appears there are no pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boys on MR.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

She'd be on her knees? I saw a pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boy here once but Chuck Norris fly-kicked him in the head and then Boonie drank all his nancy beer.

20. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I was going to say "drunk off her head" but that will do just fine.
    Boonie turned Chuck Norris into a pasty, soap-dodging, nancy boy.

21. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Stupid political correctness.....

Who bloodly well cares what the f**k people say on tv.

After all swear words are sentence sweetners they make stuff sound totally sweet:D

22. bgd macrumors regular

I think the rest of the world will realise that is pretty tame for an Aussie :)

23. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Sure is, you hear 3 year old kids who can barely talk say worse than that.

24. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

On review, the only thing I don't like about the ad is, "we've shampooed the camels". Camels aren't exactly Australian, even if there's millions of them out there and I don't really care if they've been shampooed or not.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Watching the posted ad, I rather enjoyed it. My only issue was that it got a little tired a little fast. I could see airing a shortened version of it with more more than three of the "we did this for you" comments before popping the question.