"New Bad Boy Truck Dwarfs the Hummer"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vwcruisn, Feb 13, 2005.

1. vwcruisn macrumors regular

link

great... i cant WAIT to see this out on the road with me... driving alongside me in my little jetta on the freeway doing 80 :eek:

whats next... semi trucks for the soccer mom?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay now, that's just insane. [​IMG]

Oh. I thought it was some kind of special peacock repellant. :rolleyes:

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I can see a law suit coming from P.Diddy in a hurry.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it comes w/ a free Support Our Troops decal, right?

assuming this isn't a joke, and this question applies to Excursions, Hummers, etc. anyway, do the insurance rates for these things reflect liability for the damage / death caused to others in a collision?

if not, i think it should be legislated.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Before any given fad flops, you'll often see excesses like this. Not only is this beast absurd, at $225 grand and up, who exactly is the target market?

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Well....

Given that it's a flatbed, milspec diesel more akin to a towtruck than an SUV I'd say it's aimed at the "How do I get my new Enzo home without scratching it?" crowd.

Not to worry. This fad will go the other way soon. I'm sure I'll start seeing Astin Martins with suspiciously thick windshields here soon.... :rolleyes: :p ;)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

* Ahem! * It's not an Aston Martin, but it does have the bulletproof glass....

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

With this vehicle who need laws and rules of the road, get out of my way everyone if you want to live. Muhahahaha ;) :)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm really disappointed that P. Diddy is not involved in this project, in any way, as far as I can tell. Or at least a little Mase. Come on, people!!!! :rolleyes:

12. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Look's and proberly sound good but I don't think that it will take over for the Hummer.
    The Hummer is a very spesial car and will proberly not be squeezed out of the market, same as McLaren F1 it may not be the fastest-most powerful road car but it will still be the icon ;)

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perfect. 1 tank of gas = 1 mile.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

No but it does come with one free instance of Close Air Support for those who can afford truly decadent road rage. Nothing says "get the **** out of my way!!!" like an airstrike.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I bet the driver of one of those Idiotmobiles would yield the right of way to my dumptruck, though. :D

People are free to waste their money however they want, but I hate to have to play "dodge'em" in town, or have to try to park next to one of the overly-wide Queen Marys. Of course, I feel the same way about 1-ton dually 4-opor pickemups and Suburbans as well.

How can you really enjoy driving one of those barges, compared to something like a Lotus Elan or a Corvette-powered Austin-Healey? Anybody who thinks one of those bargemobiles is a Good Thing probably works in the Office of Navel Contemplation.

'Rat

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or some other part of the anatomy that I am far too polite to mention.

Driving over-scaled vehicles isn't about fun, at least not the way many people would define fun. It's about aggression, it's about intimidation, it's about taking up more space and using up more stuff, just because you can. IOW, they're a pretty reasonable barometer of our culture.

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Why is this thread in Political and War Discussions?

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

As a car guy, I can appreciate the need for large vehicles. Towing, hauling, transport... sure. Are they fun to drive? Never.

In fact, the surest way to turn my VW into a Ferrari is to rent a nice big 32-ft 5-speed (and I use the term "speed" very cautiously) International diesel U-Haul and drive it around for a day, then hop back in my car.

This "bad boy" is an overpriced, marked up utility vehicle. In taming it, I'm sure they've removed much of the utility. Leaving the buyer with an overpriced truck that's no fun to drive.

As a co-worker who owns a Hyundai V-6 SUV told me, "it's a dog, but it looks good getting there."

Let's just hope General Dynamics doesn't test the waters to see how many people think they'd look good driving a Stryker.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Lacero, it ties in to previous threads about SUVs and CO2 emissions and the politics of the awl bidness.

pseudobrit, a buddy of mine built a "best of both worlds" pickup to tow his travel trailer. 8,000 pounds of one-ton running gear, 4WD. 460 motor. Empty, I don't think it will top 150, but I don't really want to find out. He did discover that the rolled-up awning won't survive a 100 mph windspeed.

Not sure if that's fun or raw terror.

:), 'Rat

21. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

$20 says that Shaq buys one once he's recovered.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

davecuse, for Shaq the proportions would be righteous.

There used to be an ex-pro wrestler in Austin, Texas; "Big Gil". He was about Shaq's size, but heavier. Had a 1964 Pontiac Gran Prix convertible. With the top down he looked OVER the windshield.

:), 'Rat

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

The Humvee was built for Iraq in the first gulf war. I guess this is what you need to survive in Iraq today. :)

Now it's a political discussion. :p

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I always wanted something better than a hummer.