New Banner Ads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by macking104, Mar 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Noticed this today, a popup banner ad at bottom of Mac Rumors screen (the Lake Tahoe ad) [shows up after a few seconds], or is there some evil malware for ios 6.1...?

Attached Files:

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you can grab the URL of the ad, the admins can see about having the ad removed from the site.

What do I do about annoying ads?

3. macrumors regular

This pop up ad really blows when reading on an iPad. It is large and when dismissed it scrolls you back to the top of the page.

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you want to make the ad go away, see my post above yours for details. But basically, if you can grab a screen shot and get the URL and post it here, the admins will see about removing it from the ad pool.

5. macrumors demi-god

Please, please, PLEASE get rid of this *#%!!{.

6. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Please see my post (#2) above on how to report and get rid of particular ads.

7. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think I got rid of it.

arn

8. macrumors 68020

I don't mind.

9. macrumors G5

Macman45

A Thought About Ads

Whilst ads can be annoying at times, it's worth remembering that without them MR and sites like it would not exist. Advertising revenue is what maintains the site, so if you see one that bothers you from time to time, it's worth bearing in mind that without them, we wouldn't have the board at all.

10. macrumors demi-god

Thank you, thank you, thank you for fixing this!

11. SandboxGeneral, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Attached Files:

12. macrumors regular

Nand

I see the same ad..
    Annoying ad.

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm getting the oz ad too. It doesn't link anywhere. It's fully contained on the MR page. When you click it, it expands fullscreen. When you dismiss it, it stays in the mr page.

14. macrumors 6502

Oz advertisement annoying

Hey,

I understand MacRumors need to make money and I usually don't have a problem with advertisement but today I noticed this new "Oz" advertisement in MacRumors when browsing the site with my iPad and the advertisement keeps being active even when I visit other sites. I have to completely close Safari and open it up again for the advertisement to not show up. This is really intrusive and I hope it gets fixed.

15. macrumors G3

Night Spring

It's happened again. The ad was for Grid2. Unfortunately, I don't have a quick way to upload screenshots from my iPad.

Isn't there a way to reject ads by format? Because this is going to be a whack-a-mole situation if we have to report banner ads each time they pop up.

16. Oui
    macrumors 6502

This one for grid 2 is paticularly annoying.

Attached Files:

17. macrumors 65816

myrtlebee

The exact same thing just started happening to me two days ago. I am considering not browsing the forums anymore because it literally shows on every page for me. They are all different ads, not just an "OZ" ad. The most annoying thing is how it brings you back to the top after it is closed by the "x" as you mention. They don't load fully until you've probably scrolled half way down the page already. I rely mostly on my iPad to surf nowadays, and this is discouraging me from being an active part of the forum.

18. macrumors newbie

Count me in as one who is REALLY annoyed by this bottom banner add on my iPad. Seriously considering leaving the site because this is so annoying. I'll give it another day or two...

19. macrumors newbie

Annoyed by add

Just to be clear here, the annoying banner ad is on the main macrumors page and really dicks up the lading of the page.

20. macrumors newbie

At first I was worried that this was a virus, the slightly paranoid person that I am. Do these banners only pop up to iPad users? It also appears that engadget is using them too. Just to be clear it's not a virus right?

21. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

New banner ads as people have mentioned above are definitely annoying when browsing on an iPad. Dont care for them one bit.

22. macrumors regular

Nebulance

Adds at Bottom of Safari

Hi all,

I didn't see a thread for this, so I'll make a new one.

Recently, I noticed every so often that when I browse forums such as this one on my iPad (3rd gen, no jailbreak, iOS 6.1.3) using Safari, I sometimes get an add sprawled across the bottom of the screen. I can tap to 'x'-out of it, but it's still annoying. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't recall this happening until about the beginning of the month... unless this is some new feature of forums that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

23. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We are working to stop these from appearing.

arn

24. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Arn, please get rid of that traveling Grid 2 ad, it's crashing my iPad1:mad:
    Tried to get an URL, all it shows is macrumors.com#

----------

I understand that, we have had ads before, but this new crop is damn annoying!
    When they crash my iPad,that's wrong!:mad: I used to financially contribute to this site so I wouldn't see them, then they started to appear anyway, so I quit contributing, if MR needs to annoy me for money, I'm outta here! I know, I know, don't let the door hit me in the a$$ on the way out

25. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Which ads? they aren't supposed to appear (on front page, or forums) if you are a contributor.