New Batteries or New Camera???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, May 21, 2006.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

As you might have seen from a previous post, I'm getting ready to film my first wedding for some relatives. Thanks for all the great tips.

I have a 7 year old Canon Elura. It was one of the first consumer cameras to come out with miniDV/Firewire I believe, as I was waiting for those features. It came stock with a little 750mAh battery, and I bought 2 extra 1650mAh at time of purchase.

The small battery and one of the big batteries are pretty much toast....only hold a few minutes of charge. The last one seems to be holding out OK, but again, it is 7 years old.

I just started pricing out new batteries for this camera. The 1650mAh(BP-617) ones are going for about $150 Cdn. Woah.

So, this has me thinking...(always expensive). Should I bother investing in more batteries for this Canon, or just go ahead and purchase a new camera. It has been OK, but shoots poorly in low light. Also did not have much for image stabilization back then, so things can get 'jerky' (yes, my fault, but still....)

I dont need an HVX200 or anything in that range, but I would like to get there some day. I dont need HD, but having it could be fun, as at some point I will be getting a new Intel mac, and would like to get into doing some FCP editing. HC3 looks kinda decent, but what do I know....

So, that is the question. I could spend up to $2K Cdn at this point to get a decent camera for home shooting, and exploring into the 'pro' side of things. Should I wait, and just spend $300 on batteries and keep my Canon limping along, or ebay it, and get a new one.

Any advice and recommendations appreciated

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

New camera without a doubt.

If the canon can run on AC adaptor (some can't) then use it as one of the static cams plugged into the wall.

OTOH, I am finding CDN prices WAY lower than $150 on the batteries -- like CDN$58 for a 1900 mAH -- which model Elura is it exactly?

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Buy a new consumer camera for now.

A Canon ZR500 runs u $300 US.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd use the money you were planning on spending on batteries or a new camera and hire a videographer for the event. That can be your wedding present for the happy couple.

5. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey CanadaRAM.
    It can run on an AC adapter....so that is a plus.
    It is just a Canon Elura. First one they made, so no other model designation other then that. Bought it in spring of 1999.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ya... quote I got for an event here - 1 camera, talking head type event - was $2,200 for the day.

Hmm... I'm seeing a 1.9 AH battery (third-party) for CDN$41

7. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hmmmmm is right. Where are you seeing that? I would need shipping within a few days or so, but that might work out for now....

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

This is just a tip, but if you want everything to be easy to edit, make sure it's not a DVD camcorder. You could get a really nice camera for their wedding, but there is also that option to have a pro-videographer to put it all together.

Heres some options I looked up, both in different price ranges (one is tapeless, not sure how it is to edit it)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...498&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...560&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

9. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks.
    If I do get another camera, it will definately be miniDV. I've been holding off on buying one, as I would like to get a pretty decent one. If I could swing it, I would pickup an DVX100b, but I'm not quite there yet. I might have to get something before I move to that level. We'll see.
    Patience is a virtue.......but waiting sucks.....

10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Vx2100 is also an option, it has the best low-light shooting than most cameras in its price range.

11. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

ooooh, dvx100b.... sexy!

I love the DVX100a- shoots some of the best DV i've ever seen. But i have a question... without being condescending in any way, I want to make sure you'd know how to use the main functions of the camera before the wedding. Like manual WB, exposure, etc?

It would be horrible to have such a nice camera and not have had enough time with it to use it properly.

12. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.
    Thanks for the comments. No insult taken whatesoever. Good advice, and I would be sure to allocate sufficient time to understand the workings and main functions of my 'weapon' before taking into 'battle'.

They reality of me getting such a camera this week is slim to none. It is however the next 'level' of camera I would like to get to, and in researching some of the 'boards', it seems to be a pretty decent camera. I would look forward to playing around with such a device.

I will likely be getting some third party batteries for my existing camera, and saving my pennies for something like the dvx100b. I would prefer this approach as to buying another consumer level camera now, and pushing my desired purchase further out into the future.