New Battery Install?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by d4m1r, Dec 29, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

d4m1r

Hi guys, I ordered a new battery for both my primary iPhone 4 and my secondary 3GS. I will be doing the swap myself and it seems fairly straight forward but my question is, will it affect my jailbreak/unlock on the phones and is there another software component I must/should do after replacing the battery?

It might sound like a weird question to some but I've had devices in the past where the battery was a key component of the jailbreak/unlock, Sony PSPs for example. Both phones are running untethered redsn0w 5.1.1.

2. thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

700 views and nobody knows if it will affect my jailbreak/unlock? :(

3. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Ask in the jailbreak sub forum and you'll likely get an answer.

4. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't see why it would. The os is still the same after replacing the battery.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

Yes, but for certain devices a bootloader exploit that targets the battery is actually used to jailbreak the device. And I don't know how redsn0w works so...

6. macrumors 6502

I've never repaired a jailbroken device, so I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

7. d4m1r, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

Well, after doing a bit more research, I still can't find an answer...I'm surprised this hasn't come up before but I guess people don't realize that sometimes the battery is used as part of the jailbreaking process (depending on the device).

I don't know if redsn0w does or does not use the battery but I'll be replacing the batteries in both my 3GS and 4 and I'll post back if it affected any software component.

8. macrumors 6502

What in the battery is used to jailbreak? From the looks of things the connector just disappears inside the seal, no electronics seem to be on the battery.

9. macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Replaced the battery in my jailbroken iPhone 4 a few weeks ago, its fine. Its the same as turning it off? Nothing is gunna affect the software if the hardware has no juice.:p

10. thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

Finally got around to doing this on my iPhone 4 and I can now confirm it does NOT alter any software nor does it affect the jailbreak one way or another :)

Only thing I am now worried about is the 3rd party replacement battery blowing up or otherwise causing damage to my phone....Oh if only Apple would pull its head out of its #($ and start selling replacement OEM parts :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't think so,
    When I sent out my iPod touch 2g. JAILBROKEN, it was sent back JAILBROKEN with a new battery.

12. macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Ive never heard of any iOS jailbreak that used battery circuits to store JB information.