New bill rates countries on treatment of Jews

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Oct 12, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

I hope the US isn't going to stop with the Jews. I'd like to see the same thing set up for Mexicans, Muslims and maybe the French.

How would the US rate?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Too many long posts today and not enough work being done...

So I will just say this seriously rubs me the wrong way.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Entagling our government like this is a bad idea. We're already in a ******** becuase of our unquestioning backing of Israel.

Here's an idea. How about we treat every crime as a crime, regardless of who commits it, who is targeted, and why?

Naaaaahh.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What exactly does it mean when it talks of "state-sponsored anti-semitism in Syria"? Anti-semitism = terrorism? Apart from the painful fact that the Arabs are semitic as well, so you could say that the US is involved in "state-sponsored anti-semitism"...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sounds like a resource allocation problem ;-)

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I agree that there are plenty of other groups being wronged out there and persecution of Jews shouldn't be highlighted at the expense of others.

And you would think that Jewish advocacy groups would be more sensitive to the whole Zionist conspiracy stuff. Even though it's not true, these kinds of efforts give fuel to their enemies.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'll volunteer to be politically incorrect here:

Blind backing of Israel hurts everyone involved, Israelis included over the long term.

You want to talk about Human Rights? How about the fact that other than the DeBeer family it's the diamond cutting/polishing industry of Israel making the most money on diamonds.... Blood tainted or otherwise.

It's becoming entirely too convenient to keep pointing to the attempted Genocide of Jews in Europe as a rationalle for every questionable thing Israel does.

It's infuriating that special treatment is given when Genocide of Gypsies, Jutus, christians in some areas, muslims in others and countless other groups has been going on nonstop since WW2 with nobody saying anything in any meanigful way.

What it really does is re-enforce anti-Semitism by way of underscoring the relationship between jewish affluence and their ability to draw attention. If there's to be an end to anti-semitism there had better be more of a thrust from the international Jewish community towards anti-genocide as a broad category and a whole lot less obvious self interest.

How about some inter-ethnic organizations working internationally to stop ethnic oppression worldwide eh?

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Guys I'm not anti anything so please don't take this the wrong way. I personally get pissed with any group of people that play the "boo hoo look how we've been mistreated throughout history" card too much. I actually had some black dude call my mom a racist because she saw him hitting his girlfriend in a parking lot and she told mall security. Told her she was racist right to her face for doing that – which she isn't. That kind of **** just burns me up.
    Anyways. This smack of that whole boo hoo crap. I know a bit of Jewish history. I understand since the beginning they have had a raw deal. I feel for them but for the love of God do we have to have a freaking new gov department made for this?!?! What next?
    Office of Anti-carbonated beverages
    Office of Anti-Apple Inc
    Office of Anti-Microsoft Inc.
    Office of Anti Bill's in the world.
    Office of Anti John's in the world
    Office of Anti-Karen's in the world
    Office of Anti-[insert every person's name who exists here]

This is just stupid. And like this is going to make our standing in the Muslim world any better. Do you think this is going to make us look in any way shape or form impartial?

9. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

That reminds me of a time about ten years ago when a black guy came up to me in a parking lot asking to borrow some money so he could fix a flat tire. He had a wad of cash, like he'd hit up other people for a little each time. He swore he would mail me the money by the end of the week and he only needed five more bucks. I agreed, but told him that if he reneged, then I would never trust another black man with my money ever again. (Not true, of course.) He swore up and down that he would pay me back. I gave him the five bucks and my mailbox address, which didn't indicate the actual place I lived.

Never heard from him again. Even shaming him into being honest for the sake of every other black man I'd ever meet wasn't enough. It was only five dollars, and I felt like I'd conducted an interesting experiment.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Where do you live? I got scammed by a black guy going door to door with an eerily similar schtick here in Santa Cruz with the same result. It turns out (after talking to the local PD) that this guy has been doing this for years to pay for his heroine addiction. He never scams enough from any one person for it to qualify as more than a misdemeanor (petty theft) so he never gets any real time. If I see him again I'll be kicking his ass. He had a better story for us than the one he gave you and my wife gave him a bit more than the five bucks he asked for. We really didn't have it to spare but he was running a really effective scam about a dying mother and needing bus tickets. :mad:

It seems to me that African Americans have a double hit in the raw deal department: They've been very thoroughly institutionalized with the rhetoric of the raw deal, skewing their outlook and approach. They've genuinely been screwed in this country and are still hunted for sport in some parts of it. So on the one hand they're often brought up with persecution as part of their identity and on the other there's just enough persecution left to keep a lot of them convinced they're hopelessly screwed. Suck situation and I feel for them.

It still doesn't excuse theft. In fact it makes it worse because it re-enforces negative stereotypes on both sides of the issue.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Just curious, if it had been a white guy would you have threatened to never trust "whitey" with your money ever again?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You got that right! we are getting a little crazy on this are we not? And we know those islam/muslim countries hate israel so whats new in 2,000 years?

13. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

That's a good question. It would not have occurred to me to say anything like that if he had been white. My intent at the time was not to single him out for his race, but to see what might keep him from lying to me. At the time I got the distinct feeling that he was hoping I'd feel some white guilt because he was black and in need of help. Your point is well-taken.

This reminds me of yet another time when I was coming home from a business trip with a bunch of equipment. The porter at the airport offered to help take the stuff on a cart out to my car and I thanked him. On the way to my car -- and with no provocation -- he complained about his ex wanting more money for their kids. He was giving out strong hints that he needed a big tip to make ends meet because of his bloodsucking ex.

He picked the wrong guy to try this on. I used to work in a child support office and saw thousands of cases where kids were on welfare because their deadbeat dad didn't want to support them. I gave him no tip and told him why. He cursed at me and walked away.