Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Posting this from a brand new blackbook... 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram, 250gb of hd space :D :D

This is my first mac computer and i'm still trying to learn the ropes and especially get used to the diff font rendering.

Also, I noticed that the new MB/MBA keyboard keys are softer and "looser" then new pc keyboard keys. They feel the same as my years old thinkpad that's worn whereas new keyboards usually have a crisp feeling. is this normal?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Posting this from a brand new blackbook... 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram, 250gb of hd space :D :D

This is my first mac computer and i'm still trying to learn the ropes and especially get used to the diff font rendering.

Also, I noticed that the new MB/MBA keyboard keys are softer and "looser" then new pc keyboard keys. They feel the same as my years old thinkpad that's worn whereas new keyboards usually have a crisp feeling. is this normal?

It's kinda like paying 500 bucks for those jeans that are cut, acid dipped, prewashed, etc. We get that comfy broken in keyboard rather than a 'clicky' keyboard.

I like the MB keyboard with this style. Especially since I have the alum kb on my iMac so it feels the same but my alum kb does seem more 'clicky' on some keys where as the mb kb is pretty soft. I still like it. It has that comfy jeans feel.

G4brat

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2007

Congrats on you purchase! I pulled the trigger on the same MB as you last night. I'm also a first time mac buyer (except for my Iphone). It is cool that keyboard is not noise as my old HP was. I did notice that the optical drive seems to be pretty noisy. When I insert a cd or dvd, it might be because the MB itself is so quiet. Have you noticed if the MB was closed in sleep mode when you open it and comes out of sleep mode the optical drive makes a quick "electric motor/servo" sound? Mine does that and im not sure if its normal or not?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Congrats on you purchase! I pulled the trigger on the same MB as you last night. I'm also a first time mac buyer (except for my Iphone). It is cool that keyboard is not noise as my old HP was. I did notice that the optical drive seems to be pretty noisy. When I insert a cd or dvd, it might be because the MB itself is so quiet. Have you noticed if the MB was closed in sleep mode when you open it and comes out of sleep mode the optical drive makes a quick "electric motor/servo" sound? Mine does that and im not sure if its normal or not?

My girlfriend's one does that too, so did my iBook (although that wasent as loud as the slot loading drive). Its normal.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Have you noticed if the MB was closed in sleep mode when you open it and comes out of sleep mode the optical drive makes a quick "electric motor/servo" sound? Mine does that and im not sure if its normal or not?

Yeah they all do it i think, i think it's a cool noise....kindof like a robot (i'm such a geek, haha)

OP: Enjoy the new MB, you're gonna love it, hopefully.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
how long is it suppose to take between closing the lid on your macbook and then the led pulsing? it takes about 15 seconds for my new macbook but my impression is that it should take only 5 seconds or so?:confused:

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Yeah, i's day about 15 secs too....not too bad when you get used to it. And my sleep is quick to recover when i open it, which is what i really like! Much quicker than my hibernate on my HP

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK

Perfectly normal.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The delay is the "safe sleep" feature - its writing the contents of RAM to the HD, so should the battery go dead while the machine is sleeping, it'll pick right back up where you left off when you restore the power. Similar to Windows' Hibernate feature.

Personally, I used a terminal command to turn off my safe sleep. The machine goes to sleep instantly when I close the lid. And I'm both very careful not to let my battery die when the machine is sleeping and I always save my work before I close the lid.

iamnotmad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001

Hey Weizilla, congrats on your black macbook! Can you do me a favor and go into System Prefs -> Displays -> Color -> Click Open Profile and scroll down to #13 "mmod" and tell me what the Manufacturer and Model Numbers are?

Thanks a lot!! And Congrats again, enjoy. I love the black macbook.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Can you tell me what kind of battery times your getting?

i havn't used it for one session straight but i had to drain the battery yesterday to calibrate it and i got a total of about 4.5 hrs with some pretty intense compiling and downloading via wifi for 1.5 hours

Hey Weizilla, congrats on your black macbook! Can you do me a favor and go into System Prefs -> Displays -> Color -> Click Open Profile and scroll down to #13 "mmod" and tell me what the Manufacturer and Model Numbers are?

i'm in lab right now and my macbooks at home so i'll check it out when i get home.
what's does this manufacture and model number tell you?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've got your numbers...

on my BlackBook 2.4 250Gb bought on Wednesday night, Feb 27, '08:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C5B
Serial Number: 00000000
Date: C054C480

Hope this is what you are looking for!
:cool:

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
congrats on ur purchase, i just purchased my whitebook 2 weeks ago. i like it but its not giving me the wow factor. i think im gonna sell it and go for the macbook air.

future macnerd

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Can you tell me what kind of battery times your getting?

it definately depends on what you're doing, if it has anything to do with intense video, I wouldn't expect more that 2hrs. (maybe), but I usually get around 3-4 hours of batter life on mine, although I think I usually lose a bit, because I have it just sitting in my backpack a lot (stupid teachers think I'm not paying attention..... well they do have a point >.<), and congrats on your new blackbook, I reccommend getting something to wipe it down with though, as it shows all dirt/grease marks >.<

iamnotmad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
on my BlackBook 2.4 250Gb bought on Wednesday night, Feb 27, '08:

Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C5B
Serial Number: 00000000
Date: C054C480

Hope this is what you are looking for!
:cool:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and if I remember correctly that is the same that is on the blackbook i had and returned (long story). I purchased a new blackbook (arriving today!) I guess it will have the same one.

My wife has an early SR white MB and it has a different model for display, and I think it looks better, but oh well - Apple switched some time ago, though after the initial shipment of SR macbooks.

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Thanks, that is what I was looking for, and if I remember correctly that is the same that is on the blackbook i had and returned (long story). I purchased a new blackbook (arriving today!) I guess it will have the same one.

My wife has an early SR white MB and it has a different model for display, and I think it looks better, but oh well - Apple switched some time ago, though after the initial shipment of SR macbooks.

I just checked that setting on my computer and it's exactly the same as SFStateStudent's. I brought my macbook on Tue, Feb 26 at 8 pm.

Other than a few quarks that I'm trying to get use to (some of which are actually really annoying), I'd have to say, I really love this computer and using a mac. And the black tax was def worth it!! :D

weizilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
The delay is the "safe sleep" feature - its writing the contents of RAM to the HD, so should the battery go dead while the machine is sleeping, it'll pick right back up where you left off when you restore the power. Similar to Windows' Hibernate feature.

Personally, I used a terminal command to turn off my safe sleep. The machine goes to sleep instantly when I close the lid. And I'm both very careful not to let my battery die when the machine is sleeping and I always save my work before I close the lid.

so when the computer is sleeping, it keeps everything in ram (which drains battery power) AND makes a backup on the hd just in case the battery dies?

Has anyone used this app? SmartSleep
It's suppose to go to danger-sleep if your battery is above a certain percent and safe-sleep if it's below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.