New Blizzard Game to be annouced

Discussion in 'Games' started by Durandal7, Sep 11, 2002.

1. macrumors 68040

2. macrumors regular

You know, Blizzard commented on making a Starcraft 2 a long time ago, when there was an interview with one of their developers, and when they asked him about it the developer basically said "Sigh, yes, we're making the game, sigh, everyone asks, please care more about Warcraft III."

Oh well. It is all I care about. Once Starcraft II comes out, I will be reduced to the fetal position, vomiting and seizuring on the ground. Hopefully it'll be their next announcement...not some boring "OTHER" game...

And while I liked Warcraft III, make Starcraft much better than that! MUCH!

3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't know, making a sequel seems more or less a given - this for some reason, seems to be something new. I'll be very curious, although not biting my nails till the 20th.

D

4. macrumors regular

Re: New Blizzard Game to be annouced

guess what...go to their site...WORLD OF WARCRAFT! its looke pretty cool, diablo to the tenth on the internet. if it was Starcraft 2 ala W3 style, i'd nut myself

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

World of Warcraft was announced a long time ago. There have been rumors of a Blizzard FPS. It could be Starcraft 2 but I really dobut it. I don't think it will be a RPG because of WoW.

6. macrumors 6502

its probably either an expantion to wc3, or a totally new game - possable a fps. I wouldnt mind playing a SC fps - maby something similar to counterstrike.
    I doubt they would make a SC2 just yet because it would probably take sales away from wc3.

7. zed
    macrumors 6502

I dont think an announcement of Starcraft 2 would hurt sales of Warcraft III considering that blizzard usually takes about 2 to 3 years to complete a game after it is first announced.

They are generally worth the wait though.

8. macrumors regular

war3 sales will never be hurting, because they'll drop the price on it as they sell less of them to pick up sales. did any else notice the hints that war3 would be on consoles eventually? its in the war3 faq. i dont think an entirely NEW line is in the works, either a new version of a game (SC imo) or a new twist on a previous line (like the FPS version of SC, which would suck balls imo) and it wont be diablo because they have WoW so wh oknows...

9. macrumors 6502

My vote is an expansion pack for WC3...thats most likely or WoW.

10. macrumors regular

altho it does seem a little early for an expansion pack...remember that wc3 originally had 6 armies, 2 got cut, they added the Burning Legion, and then cut that too. So in essence they've developed 7 races and are only using 4. With that in mind an expansion pack seems inevitably right around the corner (and in time for the holiday season hah). Well I can't wait to play as the Burning Legion (they're huge in the one quest u fight them)

11. job
    macrumors 68040

job

WoW has already been announced, so it cannot be that...

An FPS would be a major break with what Blizzard has done in the past; however, it is still possible.

It is far too early to consider an expansion for WC3 and/or SC2. Hell, why would they announce an expansion for WC3 as an entirely new game?

I don't really have a guess myself...

I'll just wait and be surprised.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't know why people keep saying that it's WoW, WoW is not a new product.

13. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Bingo.

They would not announce WoW two times. :rolleyes: :p

I'm not convinced it is an FPS. Blizzard has always been more RTS/RPG oriented.

I would be pleasently surprised if it was an FPS based off of another Blizzard game.

Although a SC based FPS would be too similar to AvP...

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't think it will be an RTS, can't take any attention from WC3. RPG is doubtful with WoW underway. FPS seems very unlikely from Blizzard, though they may be licensing the WoW engine. I have no clue :confused:

15. job
    macrumors 68040

job

It could be the start of a new franchise...

And after reading the article it is likely that it will be available for consoles as well.

16. macrumors regular

Why are you guys saying that it will not be a RTS?

Blizzard practically made the RTS type of game popular overnight with Warcraft. Blizzard of all companies can handle another RTS game, and if it is another RTS, it will not steal sales away from WCIII. As has already been mentioned, they take 2-3 years to release games.

It's not like people will hold back from buying Warcraft III because a new game will come out in 3 years, unlike the G5s, which I might add waiting for is kindof pointless. Mark my words, we will not see a G5 until after the first half of 2003, probably at the expo at the end of the year.

The nice thing about saying that is that I'll win regardless of what happens. :D

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

Not everyone keeps up on Blizzard. Most people will think "I can buy WCIII but I heard Blizzard was coming out with Starcraft 2" Another problem is that the RTS team is probably still busy with balancing Warcraft in patches and gearing up for an expansion.

18. job
    macrumors 68040

job

It could be a RTS.

After all they are only announcing it...

I would like to see a new franchise though...

The current 3 Blizzard worlds are getting a bit old...

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

Here are what seems to be the likely possibilities:
    1. Warcraft 3 for consoles
    2. Warcraft 3 Expansion
    3. Starcraft 2
    4. An FPS
    5. An original RTS
    6. An original RPG
    7. Continuation of Diablo franchise
    8. The whole event is a misquote that was taken out of context

20. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Now that would be ****ing funny. :D

21. macrumors regular

Impossiblility. Well, okay, it could happen, and it would be pretty funny (This whole thing being just a quote taken out of context). But I'm pretty sure it was at just this kind of convention that WoW was announced, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't build up the tension for no reason.

"We here at Blizzard, have decided, with the support of the entire team, that our next step here should be a 3 year long paid vacation. We'll send postcards from Maui. That is all."

22. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Starcraft2

It has to be starcraft 2! Starcraft is getting mighty old and could use a new release. So on 9/20 they will announce that they will begin developing starcraft 2.
    A long time ago blizzard had a huge survey about what people wanted. It went like this.
    Which game do want us to develop first.
    Diablo 2
    Warcraft 3
    or Starrcaft 2

Diablo won so it was made first, then War3 was second so now they will make Star2. I bet you a million dollars its Star2!

900 posts!!!!!! 100 till 1000:):D ;) :p :cool: :eek: :)

23. thread starter macrumors 68040

I hope it's either SC2 or an entirely new franchise.

24. job
    macrumors 68040

job

I would like to see a new franchise.

Maybe a new game that follows the lead of WC3 and mixes the genres.

25. macrumors member

Warcraft 3 expansion 3-1
    Starcraft 3 5-2
    Original RTS/rpg/combo 8-1
    some thing else 25-1