Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's it going to be?

• Diablo III

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Starcraft 2

Votes: 75 76.5%
  • Warcraft 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something new altogether?

Votes: 12 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
MN
Article HERE

omg omg omg

Even Blizz confirms it!

Starcraft 2 anyone? It looks like a new MMO is in the works, as well!

/EXCITED

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Still don't know to believe if it's true or not... but if it is... that'll make me quite happy.

SC2... mmmmmmmmm

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
If it's another MMORPG then I'll be VERY dissapointed.

I'll be super happy with anything except World of Starcraft or World of Diablo...

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
MN
There is some speculation that they may be doing a port of WoW to nex-gen consoles. Not the wisest of moves imho.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Not to be a dick, but this was already mentioned on the recent SC2 rumor thread.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Not to be a dick, but this was already mentioned on the recent SC2 rumor thread.

A gamespot link does lend this some more credibility although they may just be parroting information. There was some confusion as to the original source at blizzard korea.

Personally I think its Star Craft 2. I remember reading a thread a year or so ago asking what the players would like in a star craft sequel. And the fact that its in korea.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Siiick...

Let's just hope Apple ends up sticking in the Mobility HD2600 in the SR MBP so it will play this thing... Full 3D graphics??? In an RTS??? Sounds very demanding. Oh well, it seems CNC3 doesn't take too much, so we'll see.

Yum Yum! Starcraft 2! Pity I've only played the demo of Starcraft. But it's good that Blizzard likes to port their games to OSX. But... Are they just gonna announce it, to be released in a year or so, or are they actually gonna pop out and release it???

Oh, and MMORPs Blow. And suck. And should be discontinued immediately.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Sounds like any other RTS released in the last 5 years. Including an ancient game called Warcraft 3. ;)

--Eric

I suppose in practise, it's no more demanding, but you can't pan around in WC3.

And I believe CNC3 struggles a bit with the X1600. I mean if you buy a game, you're gonna want to play it with great framerates on the highest graphics settings, right? I mean, whether you CAN or not, that's a different question, to which the answer is hopefully yes.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I think its Starcraft 2, because lets face it, if they went and announced something else in South Korea, I dont think the Blizzard guys would make it out alive from there. So, I dont think they'd announce anything but SC2 in Korea. Besides, it'd be smart to announce in Korea, where its practically the national sport of the country.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004

You can tilt the point of view so you're looking out across the ground instead of (mostly) straight down. Basically a first-person view. And yeah, it's useless, except so you can go "look ma, we're in 3D!" ;) Plus you can rotate 90 degrees left or right, which is even more useless.

Any potential performance problems would be the result of excessive whiz-bangery rather than 3D per se. Although, believe it or not, a lot of people really don't care that much about running on max settings. But personally, the first thing I usually do with a new game is go into preferences and yank all the quality settings as far right as they go....

--Eric

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.

And I believe CNC3 struggles a bit with the X1600. I mean if you buy a game, you're gonna want to play it with great framerates on the highest graphics settings, right? I mean, whether you CAN or not, that's a different question, to which the answer is hopefully yes.

If you think CNC3 is hard on a X1600, try playing Company of Heroes.

That game makes video cards cry in pain, unless they're pretty high-end, then they cringe, unless your Mr. 8800SLI, you just laugh at the tickling.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
You can tilt the point of view so you're looking out across the ground instead of (mostly) straight down. Basically a first-person view. And yeah, it's useless, except so you can go "look ma, we're in 3D!" ;) Plus you can rotate 90 degrees left or right, which is even more useless.

I disagree that the 3d thing is useless. I haven't played starcraft, but in something like CNC Generals, where there are large buildings, there could always be something hiding out of sight behind a building, waiting for your tanks to roll right into it... Without 3d you're screwed, cut and run with half the tanks that you did have. With 3d, you know it's there, and you can call in an airstrike or something to make it not there. Just one example.

I will admit that I was a bit too quick to assume that the 3d thing will make the game slower. I believe that RTS are usually not too demanding on the computer, unlike FPS.

Hmmm, I wonder how Crysis will run on a Mobility HD2600XT? : )

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I disagree that the 3d thing is useless. I haven't played starcraft, but in something like CNC Generals, where there are large buildings, there could always be something hiding out of sight behind a building, waiting for your tanks to roll right into it... Without 3d you're screwed, cut and run with half the tanks that you did have. With 3d, you know it's there, and you can call in an airstrike or something to make it not there. Just one example.

I will admit that I was a bit too quick to assume that the 3d thing will make the game slower. I believe that RTS are usually not too demanding on the computer, unlike FPS.

Hmmm, I wonder how Crysis will run on a Mobility HD2600XT? : )

Crysis is so uber-awesome it'll probably need a SLI 8800 or 2900 setup to run smoothly and look beautiful. :(

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I disagree that the 3d thing is useless.

Sorry, I meant specifically in Warcraft 3, the tilting/rotating was useless. Not that 3D itself was useless. Especially in a RTS like Homeworld 2, where the playing area is spherical and up/down is as important as left/right/in/out.

--Eric

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
Screw starcraft. I want a diablo 3. Honestly, that would be SO cool. Hopefully its not 'too' 3d tho. Something about the two dimensionality i liked of D2.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Pity I've only played the demo of Starcraft.

What?!? Stop whatever you're doing, take a $20 bill and go to the nearest Walmart, Best Buy or other electronics or game store and buy the Starcraft Battlechest. You won't leave your computer for a while.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
What?!? Stop whatever you're doing, take a $20 bill and go to the nearest Walmart, Best Buy or other electronics or game store and buy the Starcraft Battlechest. You won't leave your computer for a while.

I'll second that. The game's a classic, the demo doesn't really do it justice.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I am 90% certain it is going to be Starcraft 2, but honestly it really doesn't matter what it is. I will buy whatever they release the day it is released and will likely not leave my computer for a week once I get it home. Blizzard has yet to disappoint me going back as far as Orcs and Humans. I have no reason to believe that this will be any different.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Will Starcraft even work on a current Mac/OS? I'm another who's never tried it - when it came out it was during one of my few periods of not owning a Mac.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
If you think CNC3 is hard on a X1600, try playing Company of Heroes.

That game makes video cards cry in pain, unless they're pretty high-end, then they cringe, unless your Mr. 8800SLI, you just laugh at the tickling.

Lol! And I thought that noise from within my computer was the graphics card fan. I didn't realize it was screaming in pain. :)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Will Starcraft even work on a current Mac/OS?

Yes, it's OS X native. (If not on the CD, then you can download a patch.) It's not Universal, but it works under Rosetta as far as I know, although I seem to remember something about the movies not playing well or something.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.