New BMW 3 Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 11, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I have to admit I was expecting something alittle more exciting, especially after the refinement in the 'Flame Surfacing' aesthetic of the 5 Series.

Looks a tad... ho-hum... boring, the snout ain't bad, but that rump looks 5 years old already! :eek: :p

Here's some spiel...

Thoughts??

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

And here's that rump... welcome to the 1990's! :eek: :p

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nice, I like it. It fits in well with the new design theme that will now run through out the range.

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Agreed. In fact, the 7-series, in my opinion, is the only one that doesn't look really cool. But I'm even starting to get used to them.

Squire

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It looks like a grand am mixed with a saturn. I dunno, never been a huge fan (except for maybe the E46) of BMW's styling, I always like Audi or Saab much more (obviously saab :p).

BEN

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I like the 7 Series... :) though that's getting a facelift at the moment. :rolleyes:

The front of the new 3 is okay, like a scaled down 5 but the further you move back the more bland it becomes, that rump just looks unresolved and half hearted.

I think the 5 Series remains the only BMW to really hit the spot though. :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Let's wait an see what they make the new M3 look like ;) :D

8. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Both the 5- and 6-series models make me stare.

I have this fantasy about driving from Vancouver to Newfoundland in a 4-seater convertible with my wife and kids. The 6-series convertible usually pops up in this dream...until the reality demons throw a Toyota Solara into the picture. (A MINI or Beetle convertible might do the trick.)

Squire

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

one word: YAWN
    i guess after the 1 series everybody was expecting too much from the '3er'

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

iGav is right-on... that thing is hideous. looks like a ford torus to me... yikes. bmw has really been putting out some fugly cars lately... :rolleyes:

11. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

sure the new 3 series looks a little bland for my liking but you're right the m3 will be awesome no matter what it looks like! When the released the first shots of the last m3 they had that gorgeous metalic finish. It was like a polished engineblock on wheels!!

12. noel4r macrumors 6502a

it looks similar to the previous models, but it looks nice to me. now, if they only lower the price about a few thousand dollars, i'd consider getting one.

13. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I like the E46 body style better.

I don't mind the "Bangled" 5-series, but the "Bangled" trunks of the 3 and seven series cars od not look nearly as nice as the previous body styles. I think Bangle's designs are starting to make BMWs look like several cheap cars that i have seen (fords, and a few others). They are not nearly as identifiable as the previous designs were from far away.

I will be sticking with my E46 model.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Still won't do anything to that rump... :eek: :p I remember when the current model was launched, and it already looked 'aged', I guess I was expecting something alittle dynamic after the 5 Series.

I do understand why they've played it safe, if the 3 Series goes radical and doesn't sell (like the 7 Series) then BMW are properly screwed!

I'm more intrigued to see what the A4 looks like after it receives it's Auto Union snout... now all they need to do is an RS4 version... :D

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Bangle didn't design the new 3... Adrian von Hooydonk did ;)

16. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

:D :D YES PLEASE! I'd much rather have an RS4 over an M3 any day! :D

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Nice Ford Mondeo. Have BMW lost their minds?

Will people buy their vehicles (I refrain from calling them cars or automobiles) when they are so generic? In the U.S.A., I think most of the new users simply buy them for the status of the name.

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Looks like a Rover 75... :eek:

I can't stand any new BMW from the rear apart from the X5, I think they have a real problem with their rear styling.

I think BMW are being eclipsed by the likes of Alpha and Honda, and I'd take an RS6 over any M-series BMW.

...and whats with the 330 taking 7 secs to get to 60? My Toledo does it in less than 6, and it's only a 2.3 with one less cylinder, BMW always cripple the performance of any car without an M-badge on it.

(Yes Gav, I had AMD re-map the Tolly, 180bhp and an extra 35 ft/lb of torque)

19. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Thats even worse. That means that BMW has another designer with bad taste.

I love my 2002 3 series, but i would not buy one of these new ones simply because of the styling. I guess i'll have to start looking at other european manufacturers since BMW is so commited to changing their designs for the worse.

20. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The new designs seem to be either hated or loved by those that i have talked to. One of my friends loves the new designs of the 5 and 7 series, but i cannot stand the funny looking trunks. I think BMW's designs are getting too plain, too common, but apparently BMW is satisfied with them and their design team.

Some people do just buy them for the name, but those are the people who don't use them to their full potential. I live in a hilly area and have alot of fun driving mine, but some people i know just buy 330s just to have a BMW and never even use the power.

21. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

They say that a good design is both loved and hated. Not that I'd call that BMW good design!!!!!

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

The 3 just looks so banal, especially if it was unfortunate enough to be parked next to an Accord, with it's sharp Alfa-inspired lines. :D

That said, the Accord isn't perfect for a saloon car... close, but the interior is drab as a tweed jacket!! The Japanese can't do interiors... Honda should have ripped the Lamborghini Muira interior like Alfa did for the 147-GTA :D that would've finished it off perfectly! :D

23. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

This may be off topic (but its still about cars) check out the Audi Nuvolari Concept car. cool isn't it?

Attached Files:

24. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

25. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Tis a sweet looking car is that! :D

Here's the daddy though... Rosemeyer. :D