New BMW M5 leaked...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 29, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I remember in one of the many car threads on MR at the mo :D that someone mentioned they really wanted to see what the new M5 looked like.

Well last week BMW leaked a low-res image on their site ahead of an official announcement this coming week, that was duly jumped on by Auto Express (UK car mag).

Here's the image, small yes... but Auto Express seem to have gotten a 3D artist to model it's in frontal view for the second image. :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hmmmmmmm....500BHP. The current one has 400 and does 0-60 in about 5.2, this thing is gonna fly! :D

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

and here is a better one.... looks quite mean... :D I wonder if it'll have the same 'glowing ring' headlights like the previous gen 5... as they looked eriee as when on.... :D

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I must say, I love the current 5... looks dandy to me... even meaner in M5 form! :D

Loved it in BMW films where Clive Owen canes it and gives Madonna a damn good thrashing... that alone made me want one!

500BHP will rocket, and it's not the only one, Audi are working on a Twin Turbo Lamborghini Powered RS6.... there's just something naughty about havin' an estate and whooping pretty much everything on the road, whilst carrying your entire family, + the dog, a boot full of El' cheapo Euro Lager, 2 bikes on the roof and the 'Adventurer Caravan' hitched to the bumper!! heheheh

*crosses fingers and prays that come Wednesday, I'm the only winner of the double-rollover lotto* :D

6. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i drove me mates 330ci over the weekend... nice. makes me want an M3 even more... i'm still too young for the M5 heh.

and iGAV ... there's been some classics for sure, the T5 is one, the original mind, in yellow with the anthracite wheels. i remember racing round the one way system in town one day and i'm coming up to this quick tight s bend, chicane if you will, and i'm not going slow, and all of a sudden this alfa sportwagon flies past me, i have no idea who was driving it or where it appeared from, but boy, did i have a hard time even trying to keep it in view. superb :)

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That thing is HOT! :D

I was pacing around with an M3 last night. Tempted I was to push the pedal a little to get him to hit it, but didn't wanna come off so foolish in my Matrix. ;)

8. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Very interesting to know is that the rev limit comes at 9000 rpm. That s not far from Honda's S2000.

The next generation BMW M3 will get an 8 cylinder engine. Actually the 10 cylinder engine of the M5 shortened a bit.

BTW: the new forum rocks.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody see a Pontiac Grand Prix in that design? Ugly....

BEN

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's nuts. My Matrix redlines at 8200 rpm, which is still insane to me. What's really cool about those high rpms is there's minimal power loss (if any at all) when up there in the red. Of course, I would imagine that's how a motor gets blown. :eek: ;)

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

looks like a VERY nice car... i loved the old ones, something about going that fast in a full sized car is cool :D

12. synergy macrumors regular

I wonder

I wonder what the new M3 will hold when they revamp it.
    Seeing as how Audi is putting a V-8 in their S4, BMW will have to come up with something to meet/beat.

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

In a word, NO!

There is nothing Pontiac about BMW's design. The look of the new M5 is very impressive. Another excellent design job by BMW.

And speaking of cars, has anyone seen that new Saab 9-3? I saw one in person today, and it has to be the fugliest automobile I've seen since the Pacer. The backend just looks horrible. It sticks up WAY to high.

14. isus macrumors regular

looks good, can't say i am surprised though... i mean, what else would an m5 look like, but a 5-series :p

15. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Looks alot like our Holdens we have down here, nothing I haven't seen before.

16. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I owned a 1991 325i BMW for a while (2.5L, 172hp, 0-50mph 5.9s) and it had the same pull to high RPM. Yes, High RPM is what can hurt an engine. BUT, BMW makes their engines to take that high RPM (to the limit they set) and suggest in the manual that you "clean out" the engine by taking it to red line. You can run a BMW red line all day and not take all that many miles off the car.

My 325i could pull 55mph - 80mph in 5 seconds in third gear going from 3000RPM-6000RPM (into redline) without feeling ANY loss in power at the high RPMs. It could pull right through to red line hard.
    That's what I miss most about it :(
    84 chevy s-10 doesn't do nearly so well in the high RPMs :D

Tyler
    Earendil
    91' 325i RIP 277,000 miles, red lined every time I shifted gears.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hear that. I don't do it too often, but I like to get my motor into that sweet spot & top it out every couple weeks or so for good measure. 100mph at 4th gear is pretty damned cool. :D

18. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

The motor isn't powerful enough to get very high speeds in 5th gear, so you have to use 4th gear to hit the top speed of the 91' 325i, which I hear is 122mph :cool: not that I would know ;)

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thats Hott (Yes Hot with Two T's).

:D

Thats gonna be Smoking Hott man... crazy... :cool:

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just found this pic of it over at Spymac, a decent res as well (800x600)

Attached Files:

21. VincentVega macrumors regular

A bit... the front end looks a bit GP-like (well, the front grill does, anyway).

A few more high res photos here.

I want! I saw a "normal" new 5 series at my local BMW dealer when I took my Mini in a few months ago for some warranty work. The new 5 looks a lot better (for want of a better word) in the flesh... :)

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wow! Those are some great pics! It looks f**king awsome!

23. russed macrumors 68000

russed

24. neut macrumors 68000

neut

the top grills remind me of those cheap unmentionable so-called luxury sedans...no thanks.

but i will take a seven series. ;)

peace.