New 'Books benched against G5 (link)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by keysersoze, Apr 23, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

This was on MacBytes so you've all probably seen it. Quite interesting, I thought. Please leave your thoughts and beefs...

Benchmarks:
    Rev. A AluPowerbooks
    vs.
    Rev. B AluPowerbooks
    vs.
    G5 DP 2.0

Click here:
    http://www.barefeats.com/pb11.html

2. iAtom macrumors member

It's interesting how the 1.33 PB performed better in one of the tests than the 1.5. I only wish they would have compared them to a 1.6 GHz G5 also.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Doesn't come as any surprise that they're not really 'power' books....

Apple really has to get a G5 into them.

What would have been a better comparison that I would like to have seen would be one between the iBooks and PowerBooks.

D

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I think that we need to also see the 1.6G5, and the new iBooks.

Some comparisons with pc laptops in the same weight and screen sizes wouldn't go amiss either

5. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I don't know about that...they were only 2-3 times slower than a powermac g5 MP. That's a lot less of a gap than I expected. Plus, they are portable!

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i agree that more suitable tests would include ibooks, similar PCs, and a 1.6 g5. DP 2.0s should not be anywhere in the same league as a SP 1.5 g4. where are the tests that will tell us what we really want to know?!? :confused:

7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

You're right -- they need a G5. This is especially true when you consider that a lot of people, myself included, would love to use a PB as a portable video station. The software Apple is introducing supports this concept. But I'm certainly not going to invest in a new PB until they go G5.

I still like the design of the PBs (although I hate slot loading opticals), and they are the fastest Apple PBs yet -- but they are not where they could be with a G5.

8. SL20 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if all things are equal but here are two "similar" test of the new powerbooks and a 1.6 G5 (and others)

Attached Files: