New Bose iPod Speakers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Phat_Pat, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

3. belair macrumors 6502

belair

The sounddock looks amazing tough.
    Has anyone read any reviews on this one?
    I would like to buy a small speaker system for my bedroom and I wasn't shure of the soundquality of previous systems.

Would you think that the bose dock could rock my socks off?

4. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

yeah, i was looking at the bose sounddock as well. i'd like a speaker/dock stand for my ipod and i think the bose one might suit me well. jbl has one that is $100 cheaper, so i'll probably look for some comparisons before i go out and buy one.

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

Ive heard the altec lansing speakers and they sound pretty decent
    anything made by harmon kardon/jbl is usually good

bose has a tendency for decent but not exceptional quality and exorbitant pricing

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Are you kidding? Decent but not superb? Bose is expensive, but it is like a mac in that respect. You usually get what you pay for. I have heard a Bose mini boombox thing that is the size of a few college textbooks on top of each other that produces such rich sound I was amazed I wasn't looking at dedicated bookshelf speakers with 4-6" woofers. I can't stand the small audio that most people settle on when they go for ipod speakers. Who cares how many 1" speakers they put in a row, you just can't get sound like you can from more dedicated speakers. For this reason I don't think I will buy any of those speaker/dock combos for the ipod. I can't listen to Wagner without some boom and presence.

7. Maxicek macrumors regular

Apple Store UK £249 GBP.
    Apple Store US $299 USD.

Obviously the extra cost is for fitting the UK mains plug. :rolleyes:

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

why dont you just get a 20 dollar dock for your iPod, and a 5 dollar stereo minijack to RCA cable from radioshack and plug your ipod into your stereo? the dock has a line-out for a reason.

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

hehehe...thanks for the laffs

:D :D :D

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

not a fan?

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

this guy whose locker is a few down from mine at high school has a stereo setup in his locker. it's pretty cool. he has a sony md player and some sony speakers connected in there. some people hang out by the locker in the mornings and listen to music. i thought about doing something similar w/ my ipod and a dock and some speakers but couldnt think of how to get power to that?

12. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Bose is not the best...by far not the best. On the basic consumer level, yes, I suppose you could say it is the best, but not out of everything.

[​IMG]

I do NOT think that this is well designed. It is just so odd looking. It's just a speaker with a dock superglued to it...literally. The iPod covers the speaker too, which is just awkward. Am I the only one with these views?

13. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I like the old fashioned look of it.
    It reminds me of those old bulky radios my grand parents used to have.
    I don't know if this can fill a small room with some fine sounding music.

14. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

I agree. Just seems weird to place something in front of the speakers and block some of the sound. I know the iPod is small but you always try to keep your speakers clear of obstructions.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I put the Altec Lansing InMotion set-up in my office at work, which is a room about 8' x 14'. I can't really crank in here, so I didn't need anything too powerful. I can't even crank this up too high. It sounds great. True, the bass suffers a little from the small size, but not as much as you'd think. If you're looking for a small system that includes a dock, for about $100, you could do a whole lot worse.

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Bose products sound really good for their size.

Take out that qualifier and they're expensive for the quality of sound they produce...

17. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Remember, just because the entire front is covered with a mess, doesnt mean that there is a speaker behind it. there could be the speakers on either side of the iPod, and they put the mess covering the whole thing for the "cool factor"

18. Illmatic macrumors member

I agree that for the size of Bose speakers they are well priced but come on 300 for that ugly ass thing. I have used Bose in the past and truthfully I will never buy them again. Overpriced for their sound quality is an understatement. Unless you are in desperate need of people being like wow is that a bose system then dont bother at all.

19. coconn06 macrumors regular

That's exactly what I was going to say. And knowing Bose and their care for sound quality, they wouldn't put the iPod right in front of a speaker.

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Funny, I was at the Braintree Mall today and they have a bose store there, they said it won't be availbe until the end of Oct. She said its availibe in europe now... well that nice...cause i live in europe.....
    I guess she's a dumb person......

I agree for the price its better then any sony product (I think) I love my quite comfort headphones. But you can def. buy better....I mean i would love to have a mark levingson stereo in m living room but don't feel like spending 50 G's.

21. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Thats what I do....
    Cheaper and better quality, I dont care how my ipod looks or how its accesories look, as long as it plays music.

22. encro macrumors 6502

encro

BOSE products are cheap and nasty!

If you appreciate poor sound quality and cheap components then you will be very happy with their range:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

23. acj macrumors 6502

Bose

Ethical values aside, Bose is an amazing company. Any company that can take so much money for such a mediocre product really knows what they're doing. A triumph of marketing over engineering. How else can you have a 1500% markup after materials, assembling, and distribution costs?

24. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Umm, isn't the ipod made for portability?!

Why not just get some new speakers for your computer and play your ipod songs through them!

Jeeze!

25. amtwwg macrumors newbie

Sound Dock DOES NOT work with MINI

I just bought one and it doesn't work with Ipod Mini. You must have software version 2.2 or higher for it to work and the IPOD mini software is version 1.1. It's too late to talk to anyone from BOSE or Apple but I'm not confident it will work. Anyone have any suggestions?