New breed of Spam is getting through

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cooknn, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's always addressed to my e-mail address with someone elses name. ex: Ysac <me@mydomain.com>. I've tried a couple of different spam app's, including Spam Sieve, and Junk Matcher. Neither will stop these - and I can't figure out how to get Apple Mail's Junk filter or Rules to do it either.

Please help :(

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

How about adding a rule along the lines of:

"To" - Contains - "myname@mydomain.com"
    AND
    "To" - Does not contain - "My Name"

(be sure to specify "If all of the following conditions are met:")

then sending those to a "questionable" folder.

Put that rule at the end, so it'll only process things not caught by other rules.

It'd be nice if Mail rules could contain more advanced logic, but maybe a rule like the above might help you.

3. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Sounds good to me :p I just added it. THANKS in advance. I hope this works! You'd think it would, eh?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good luck - but, of course, any email with your address but no name would be affected, so you'd need rules above it to catch those situations.

What is really needed is the ability to some more complexity - IF the email is to "my.name@my_isp.com" AND there's a name specified AND IF it isn't one of mine ("My Name" or "My Full Name") THEN junk it.

Maybe in OS X 10.5! ;)

5. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm hoping that the rules actually look at the text part of the To: field and not just the e-mail address itself. I'll find out soon enough...

[EDIT] It WORKS! Thanks jsw. I failed to consider the solution to my spam problem so simplistically. Great job buddy :)

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm fortunate in that my ISP (CableOne) blocks all viruses and any possible spam. They hold it on their server for me to check. It's 99% effective...the one percent is sometimes a friend or acquaintance that doesn't get through.

Entourage does a good job of recognizing junk, also.