New budget has oil industry crying foul

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(My bold.)

I'm amazed that for once I should find myself supporting Bush on this issue...but the irony of those last two paragraphs is hilarious.

At least it will be until they raise gas prices for what they say is a cut in government assistance.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Bush budget if it didn't have something reprehensible in it:

Link

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The oil industry is mature, established, and rolling in dough. They don't need any more subsidies. On the other hand, dumping money into clean, safe, "alternative" coal kinda pisses me off. It's like trading the chopping block for the guillotine.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yeah, but just wait and see if these subsidy cuts make it through the budget process.

Place your bets.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly. I'm guessing we'll get the tax cuts and not the spending cuts, further worsening the US fiscal situation. Then we'll HAVE to cut all those entitlement programs and eliminate the Dept. of Ed. and the EPA, along with maybe BLM and the whole Interior Dept.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Please. Don't they realize this is all talk? Or is this part of the show? So we didn't get as much oil as we thought we did in Iraq, we don't want to drill in Alaska, and gas prices are going so high people are thinking of voting democrat. Bush puts on a big act pretending he's fighting those big, bad oil companies he pretty much works for even though nothing will change until long after Bush is out of office and probably already dead. Especially since he is one of the people who helped set things back a couple of years in the first place. The greedy oil companies should pay for it themselves. Stupid corporate welfare.

Call me a cynic, but there it is.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This group has campaigning down pat, but they can't for the life of them figure out how to govern effectively.