New Burton iPod Jacket

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chaszmyr, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Burton has announced a new line of jackets called Audex. The jacket costs $600 and has ipod controls on the sleeves, speakers on the collar, and the ability to connect to Bluetooth-equipped phones. What do you guys think?

http://www.burton.com/gear/audex/default.asp?cat=jacket

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

novelty item. i don't see much point personally.

3. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Interesting..

Also,

"The AUDEX jacket is not intended for sale in France and the United Kingdom"...

does not apply to me (thankfully) but why would they exclude these two countries?

4. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Well, I've been trying to decide how convenient this jacket really is to operate, and if it is convenient if that makes it worth the money. I don't know if you ski or snowboard, but when going down the mountain and wearing gloves and such, it is not easy to get to an iPod or cell phone that is located in one of your pockets.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm wondering what happens when you fall on that fancy arm display.

6. readandjudge macrumors newbie

They also have a jacket called the Burton iPod Shield Jacket that uses soft controls on the sleeve, but it doesn't have bluetooth. Still is pretty neat though, I would check it out on their website.

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

The price is actually not that high. A Burton Jacket usually runs you around 200-400 dollars anyways.

I think it a good idea but how functional really is the phone support and like mentioned before how durable is the interface?

8. Megatron macrumors regular

This could be fun if you are the most conservative boarder ever and only go down green slopes.

If you're carving down anything remotely challenging, I wouldn't be wearing this jacket, because if you fall on that control panel and it breaks you're out $600. I know at least for me, I fall enough not to buy something like this.

It is pretty fun to board with some music though.

9. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I know that Burton is a company that makes gear designed for boarders, but I'm a skier, and as a pretty good skier I seldom fall.

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hell I still want an iPod shield. I dropped my iPod in the today whilst out on the slopes.

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Possibly because skiing/boarding with earphones in is illegal in France. Not sure about Scotland though (the only place with genuine slopes in the "UK").

Hitting the mountains with music does add another level to the greatest past time ever though, and it's not like they police the headphone thing.... :D

BTW, these jackets aren't new. They've been doing the iPod integration since 3G, maybe even 2G iPods.

12. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Eh, only burton I have is boots. I'm not so into 'boarding that i'd buy a 400 dollar jacket though.

And generally, I'm so into scanning what's in front of me and how I'm going to avoid those bastard 14 year olds...that I don't really have the concentration to enjoy music or anything else.

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You live in Banff. No complaning allowed!!

Signed,
    Jealousy

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because as an American we buy novelty items more often than not. Easy targets no doubt......for example, the HUMMER.

15. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

iPod jackets aren't new, these ones are.

16. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Even still, it could be cool for the lift lines/ride, but not necessarily $600 worth of cool.

17. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Burton iPod Jacket

Do all the Burton iPod Jacket work with the iPod 5G Video 30GB? - Please reply back :)

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It's using the "Dock Connector." So my reply is, "Yes it will work." :)

19. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

having just persuaded my folks to get me, for christmas, around £750 on a pair of skis and boots, i don't think i'll be going for one of these, because now i've got to pay for the holiday myself (admittedly, it won't cost nearly as much as that jacket, buuttt...)

i think it's quite cool but the kind of skiing i do (avoiding all risk of sane slopes and slow people on those easy black runs), it wouldn't be too clever to be trying to phone a mate/change song while jumping out of a helicopter / off a cliff / into a ravine // etc etc.

music would be good but i can't really see even an ipod improving the fun i have out there.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

If they would just do some pants! You could control the pod by clinching certain muscles or by leaning side to side while seated. Perhaps the I would go for it?

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

haha sure I can, for instance, we have recieved over 20cm of snow in the last 3 days...but I'm stuck at work :mad:

23. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, Burton is HUGE in the snowboard scene - and there were a lot of iPods on the slopes when I was in CO last week. I can see how this would be very popular. That company must be making BANK because about 99% of the snowboards I saw were Burton :eek:

24. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

Burton is the largest player in the snowboard market with nearly 50% market share in a billion dollar industry. They also innovate like mad and continually promote and support the sport. Burton is the only snowboard company that has the R&D dollars to put products out the door. Motorola would not work with some of fly by night companys that tend to appear in the snowboard biz.