New Buyer with questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lazymuoio, Jul 1, 2004.

1. lazymuoio macrumors member

Im currently looking at purchasing my first mac the 12inch ibook, im going to get the memory upgraded to 768mb and get ariport extreme and bluetooth as well as a 60GB hard drive. I plan to use the laptop for photo and music as wells as work such as word docs spreadsheets and email. SHould i get this configuraton or go fro the 12inch powerbook money is a little bit of an issue.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

For what you say you'll be doing, the iBook will meet all of your needs and then some. The powerbook is a great machine but for what you'll be doing, it doesn't sound to me like that you need it, so I wouldn't get it. Enjoy your new iBook.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

General consensus seems to agree - go with the iBook. Various reviews of both in magazines and online (and within this forum) seem to indicate that the iBook is a much better value unless you need some feature of the PowerBook, which is unlikely.

A lot of people buy the 12" PB over the 12" iBook because of perceived luster of the PB. It is a really nice little piece of work. But... the iBook gives you a very, very close substitute for less money. Plus, scratches on the case can be repaired more easily.

If money is no object, get the 12"PB. Otherwise, since your cited uses don't require it, get the iBook. You'll be very, very happy.