New Camera - Litle help?

Discussion in 'Community' started by P-Worm, Jun 15, 2004.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

As some of you know, I'm going to London for a mission soon. So know the quesition is, what camera should I get? I'm looking for a digital camera that produce some good pictures, preferably has a nice zoom, but isn't that big. I don't know much about this stuff (I've always been a video guy), and I know there are a lot of photography enthusiasts on this board, so I thought I could get some help here. I went to my local photography store and they recommended these two cameras:

DiMAGE Z2
    DMC-FZ10K

The second seems a little pricy to me, but I think it is managable. That would be the most I would be willing to spend though.

One more thing, I'd like to stick to standard memory formats so Memory Stick and that xD or whatever it is isn't ideal for me.

Thanks guys.

P-Worm

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Just a little reminder for you from someone who's been on a mission. How are you going to keep all of those pictures? Sure you could print them out at a some shop in London and then delete them from the card, but the whole point (at least for me) of digital photography is having the actual file that I can use for whatever I want to afterwards. It just seems a little silly to have a digital camera and have the pictures printed out and then have to scan in all the pictures onto the computer when you get home (if that's what you want to do). Not saying don't get a digital, just suggesting you think about the logistics of it all.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't bought a digital camera since 2000 (Kodak 3.1MP something-or-other), but my brother has been very happy with his Canon A80, which you should be able to find for under $350. I've seen some of his pics, and they look quite good to my unprofessional eye. YMMV.

I would recommend completely ignoring digital zoom specs, as they are almost worthless - optical zoom is all that matters.

I'd also recommend going to a Best Buy/Circuit City/whatever to actually hold the cameras. You don't have to buy there, but I think a lot of what makes a camera good for someone is how they perceive the feel of it. Online pics and specs won't help with that.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If P-Worm will have access to a computer, he could download them all. Otherwise, relatively inexpensive 256MB cards will hold a LOT of pictures and can be had for $60 each. I've seen 512MB ones for under $100, and I think those would hold well over a thousand pics at average sizes and compression ratios.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Generally, missionaries do not have access to a computer, that's why I was bringing it up. Also, he will be over there for two years, so depending on the amount of pictures he takes he could fill up a lot of cards (since the cameras he is looking at are 4.0 MP each image could be 2MB in size--depending on compression. That's about 130 pics per 256MB card.). I probably shot 40 rolls of film on my mission (approx. 960 photos), yeah us missionaries like to take pictures. :D

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I believe (others, feel free to correct me), is that they give up a lot of the "technology" of life. I know from another thread that those on their mission can not even touch a computer.

That being said, if they have the Kodak Picture Maker stations in London, that maybe the answer. The shop I work for has these stations, and it allows you to burn a CD of your memory cards. It runs about $8 per a CD at our shop. Hopefully the use of these stations does not violate any mission requirements.

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Those stations would be fine. If they have some over there they would be a great solution to that problem. Of course, the other problem is that will be unlikely that he will spend all of his time in London. Missionaries are assigned to particular areas and the mission boundaries will be larger than just London. The mission is usually named for where the headquarters are at (Mine was Sao Paulo East, for example), but he will likely spend a lot of time outside of London, so they need to be fairly ubiquitous.

Reading this sounds like I am really against him getting a digital :p , but I am not, just trying to think of the contingencies. I was helping my Mom with this problem a while back as my brother is getting ready to go on his mission.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In the $400 to $500 price range you have nice choices.

The Z2 is a great camera, but I am not happy personally that it uses the SD memory standard. I am partial to the CF standard.

If 3 megapixels is OK with you the Canon S1 IS is nice since it has image stabilization.

If you really want 4 megapixels and don't mind shorter zoom ranges, then teh Canon A80 is nice with it using the CF cards. For a nice pocket camera the Pentax s series takes the SD cards, and fits in an Altoids box.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the update on info. I assume in the "greater London area" there are places like Walmart available. The issue would be one if he ends up in smaller villages.

I too am thinking that film makes more sense. Yet I believe that funds for those on their mission are limited. So he is looking at digital to be able to spread those limited resources around a bit better.

To that end I really like the IS-50 from Olympus.

10. Angelus macrumors 6502

The only advice i can give you is to visit these websites:
    www.dcresource.com
    www.dpreview.com

I found them very helpful,especially the forums when i was researching my digital camera purchase.
    Make sure the cam in question has Compact Flash compatibility as you can get large size cards for comparitively cheap prices. If you are looking at a 4+Megapixel camera aim to have at least 256MB as the file sizes can be quite big and you will be there a while. I would advise that you take the Murphy's Law approach to memory cards. Pick the size you need, then buy two cards which are each half that size . This way if one card fails you will have a "spare" and wont find yourself up the creek without a paddle.

Also pay attention, to the power source used. Proprietry batteries are nice but are:
    1)Expensive
    2)As the name implies proprietry, so you can't use AA's if you get stuck in a bind.
    Personally,i favour AA rechargeables since they are quite cheap and if you are in a bind you can by a set of non-rechargeable AA's in the local shop to tide you over.
    Most camera shops and even chemists can burn your photos to disc so you shouldn't have any problems with your memory cards storage being filled up.
    I think thats all the advice i can offer. Oh,also factor the price of a case into your budget on top of the cost of extra memory and batteries.
    Hope i was of some help

Angelus

11. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming, they are apreciated.

As for how I'm going to get the pictures back, my family and I were thinking of having a few of the memory cards and sending them back in forth. My family would unload them at home and I would take the pictures. Of course, there is worry that they will get lost in the mail, but I think it could work.

P-Worm

12. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

dude....

go the DMC-FZ10K. it has a Leica Lens on it. end of story.

what amazes me about some digi cameras is they put all this whiz bang gimmekery into this little tiny box and then stick the optical equivalent of a coke bottle on the front. lens quality matters as much with digi as it did with film. Leitz (read Leica) make seriously sweet lenses. damn, i still need to get a new 28mm for my M6, now i wish they'd make a digi M6, that would be sweet. but excy.

why do i have such expensive habits.....

storage cards - get a camera that takes compact flash cards if poss. they are rugged. accept that you will need to buy a bigger card or two, just like apple screws us with piddly ram as standard, so too do digi camera manufacturers screw us with small memory cards. i say get the largest you can find, supposedly a 12gig CF card will be released later this year. as for mass storage solutions - how 'bout an iPod and a Belkin Media Reader?

or just carry the software CD and usb cable with you, i'm sure you'll be able to find an internet cafe to burn a cd at (it is London you are going on a mission too, not deepest darkest africa, they have computers in London) :eek:

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

most of the mini labs / 1hr photo shops will copy your memory cards to cd rom. If you are in London or the south of england you wont be to far from aclick here to find a store

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't think you should spend a lot. Pick a camera that feels comfortable to you and has the type of memory storage you favor (for which you should buy some extras). Best Buy or another mass market retailer will have enough choices, and the cheaper end of the line might suit you fine. If you are talking about simple snapshots ("hey look - a double-decker bus!") and not photos that you are likely to enlarge into big prints, then a minimum number of megapixels will do and you won't need a lot of fancy effects either. Optical zoom of 3x is low-end but probably good enough. Don't consider it to be the last camera you will ever buy, so don't pay for more than you need right now.

15. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, I have a Coolpix (the one that has the lens 'flip around'). I like it okay, but I want something that takes some better pictures. My biggest gripe was the lack of manual options on the coolpix. Low light shots and such just didn't turn out right.

P-Worm

16. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I have a canon powershot 3mp its small & takes very good pix $250. they also make a 4mp & 5mp ver for more $$$