New car advice (yes, another thread on this)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sutekidane, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Hey, I'm planning on getting a new car soon, since my current one isn't holding up too well unfortunately. My parents want to spend as little as possible of course, and my current car has a trade in value of around $6000.

I do a lot of commuting to school work, here and there. I don't usually travel with anyone, and if I do it's usually 1 person, so a 2 door would be nice. I'm looking for something new under around $15,000.

So far I have looked at a 'loaded' Toyota Yaris liftback, and that's looking rather nice, but I'm afraid it'll feel either cramped or unsafe. I like the look of the Honda fit, but it's a bit expensive compared to the yaris.

Any advice? My dream car would be a hyundai tiburon gt, but it's not very practical or affordable right now.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If I were in your position, I would go with the 2-door yaris. It's not AS small as it looks (I saw one in traffic today.. SO CUTE!!)
    They get excellent mileage, they have audio-in, and are really cheap new.

if you don't need a new-new car, head on over to carmax.com and see what's near you. I got my 2001 Hyundai Accent for $9588 with 49k miles. Pretty sweet deal.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What car are you driving now, and is it worth fixing?

4. iShane macrumors 6502a

I like the Honda Accords, and Civic. I think you MAY be able to fit the Accord in your price range. But definitely the Civic. When I get my first car I may be buying my aunts Accord off her, or a used BMW or Mercedes(hopefully.):D Or some SUV. But I want a SUV or convertible. Too bad they're probably the most expensive body styles.

5. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I like the Yaris. Small doesn't neccesarily mean unsafe. And it's Toyota who has an excellent track record with safety. Sure, if you slam into a concrete at 80MPH, you may not survive, but I don't think someone in an H2 would survive either.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can also look at the new little Dodge Caliber, because its motor isn't built by Dodge -- Mitsubishi and Hyundai.

If you don't get an auto, no problem there either. But if it's an auto, run from the Mitsubishi unit.

Lot of small cars these days.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Caliber is ugly. I'd get a Hyundai Accent instead if I wanted the Hyundai engine (they're great cars, I own a Hyundai, as do my parents and sister and they're very reliable)

10. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I like the honda fit, but actual dealer price is usually much higher than stated on the site, so I'd expect it to a good amount over $15k

I currently have a 2004 hyundai elantra which I love except that some animal in my old neighborhood (I just moved) basically scratched all over the car in the past months. literally all over, even on the roof. I need a new paint job, but with over 40k miles on it already, and the warranty about to expire, I'm not sure if I want to invest anymore into it, and instead trade it in while I still can and get something different.

I have no idea what a nissan versa is, and if they are available here, I haven't seen one yet.

I love love love Hyundai, but my elantra left me just a bit dissapointed. If I was to get another one, it would have to be a Tiburon GT. I test drove one this morning and fell in love with it.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

GET THE TIB!!!!

I have a 2004 4 banger Tiburon and LOVE it. Awesome car.

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai. Stick with Toyota, if you don't go for the Yaris then what about the Scion Xa? My wife had on from 2004 and recently traded up to a 2006 Rav4 Sport, she loved her Scion but with both of us having small cars (I've got a Mini) she wanted something bigger.

13. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

14. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Ack, not a good thing for me to hear right now...
    I'm just so worried that I won't be able to afford gas for it, or that it'll have issues. I'm not sure if I want another Hyundai. With my elantra, I got it with 19k miles. I had to replace all 4 tires, the speakers, the brake pads, the transmisson fluid (tranny was slipping) I also had to get the peeling decals on the door frame removed, and the windshied washer pump got clogged. Besides the scratches, the paint is starting to come up. I think I got a bad paintjob from the factory, but I dunno.

to me, the tiburon is my dream car, but I just don't want to stress out so much over a car again.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My Tib is at 22k and haven't had any problems except a busted power window motor which was under warranty. Maybe you just got a lemon?

And gas....I get 28ish MPG on the highway. Not spectacular, but not a gas guzzler either. The 4 banger has the same engine as your Elantra, so whatever you got with the Elantra, you'd see very similar results with the Tib.

18. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The only thing odd and possibly costly there is the slipping tranny.

The slipping tranny and peeling paint make me think repaired wreck, possibly something wrong outside the tranny making it overheat.

If you could pinpoint the cause of the hot tranny, it would probably be an ugly looking and reliable car. Probably costing about a car payment or two at most per year in maint.

I doubt it was an animal, clearcoat delamination looks about the same.

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Because everyone I know that has or has had one experienced problem after problem and I can't think of any that stuck with the company. I've owned Toyotas and can attest to their quality.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Older Hyundais had their problems. But in the past few years, they've been excellent cars, and I think I linked to an article in a previous post where JD rated them as #1 among non-luxury brands. For compact sport, the Tibby was #2, behind the Mazda Miata

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Did you hear that guys? The Yaris is now officially a girl's car. :D

23. Sutekidane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm gay, so I guess this counts for me then. ;)

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Argh. Reminds me of my ex, "Ew, women shouldn't drive SUVs or trucks." :rolleyes:

Anyway, if the Smarts were available, I would have gotten one over my MINI. :D The smaller the better... for cars, people, cars...

25. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Heh, my wife drives the SUV (rav4) and I'm the one that drives a MINI.

What color is your MINI?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.