New Car Advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Dec 24, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hi everyone,

I'm think of buying a new car in 2005. I usually buy a new car every 2-3 years and since my 2004 Range Rover was bought in 2003 (you know how it works) that means in 2005 my car is 2 years old.

I've been searching around and saw the 2006 Range Rover Sport with a 390hp supercharged V8 which is supposed to be priced between the LR3 and the Range Rover. The only thing is I don't know if I like the look of the Range Rover Sport- I think it is Land Rovers Image. To me the R.R.S. is a sports car in an SUV body.

I also like the VW Toureg/Porshe Cayenne which I think are ok looking. Also there is the BMW X5 which I like. Maybe even the Land Rover LR3.

I need a SUV because of the four wheel drive and the cargo room. I am looking for something with good gas mileage, for an SUV of course.

Also- are there any diesel SUVs out there (except for the ford excursion and chevy/gmc suberban/yukon XL 2500)?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Mercedes diesel is supposed to make a showing in the Jeep line sometime, maybe.

But people are stuck with a lot of these complex/expensive hybrid SUVs instead right now or the huge motor diesels.

Or the few diesel station wagons on the market (think it's two right now the VW Passat/Jetta wagons with the Mercedes diesel E320 CDi few and far between.)

Of course there's the Hemi Grand Cherokee for fun and laughs...

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The nicest looking SUV on the market is the VW Touraeg, in my opinion. However, if you're one of the rare people who uses your SUV for off-roading purposes, then it may not be the best choice. Actually, Range Rovers are one of the best at handling off-roading, so it's cool.

I'm looking at getting a car in Australia, but since I'm still a student and it's my 'rents money, I don't want to go overboard. No Range Rover for me, but it's cool. :)

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Buying a used offroader with real capabilities and investing the money that would otherwise be spent on a new vehicle would yield the best results. That would, however, negate the appeal of having a new SUV. Though it would provide arguably the best bang for your buck. And offroading capabilities, as older SUV's were designed more for offroading.

SUV's these days are designed more for the onroad buyers.

Reference the Jeep Liberty thread. It can go offroad, but doesn't seem to be its intended use.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

4WD on a Porsche, X5? I've seen some lovely pictures of the Porsche in the ditches when it snows :). To help us out why don't you define where you will need 4WD. Also the BMW and Porsche are AWD, depending on where you will be going, it will not be as good as a SUV with 4WD. That is just my opinion and I think most off roaders would agree with me.

If you are going to do some offroading that Land Rover will be the best. The VW being next in line. It is a real nice car, but for hardcore offroading it does have it's limitations, a lot in articulation and keeping most of the wheels on the ground.

If you want speed and a really nice off roading vehicle take a look at the new 05' Grand Cherokee. 350HP V8 Hemi, not to bad if you ask me.

As for diesel vehicles. The Jeep Liberty CRD is out now and gets great gas mileage but probably not your type of car looking at what your used too.

jon

6. Poeben macrumors 6502

The VW Touareg is available with a V10 TDI diesel.

7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Ohh yea- maybe I'll look into that- 60K is a lot for a VW though,

4x4 or AWD- as long as the 4 wheels move. I just need to get through snow and slush

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In that case try the Dodge Magnum, one of the best power values around -- and also comes in AWD Sport Wagon starting at $33k.

However it's rock crawling abilities leave a lot to be desired, which is where the Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in.

9. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Heres a european opinion. I just dont know what cars you get over there though so bear with me.

Jeep Cherokee suffers onroad. Offroad its still pretty good though.

Do you get the Volvo SUV? I believe they have a good diesel and also an AWD system, the actual machine is great too. Rock solid reliable, unlike alot of yank tanks or Mercs. It is though, questionable off road. Bit of a suburban runaround.

Mercedes - Womans car.

The Disco is a great machine offroad. But it is a disco. Build quality will also be a little suspect.

The Touareg, well its meant to be pretty decent off road. Got a fantastic diesel. And its not nearly as ugly as its sister cayenne.

Frankly im not impressed by true american SUVs, the engines are pathetic innefficient lumps. Engineered in the dark ages. Fuel economy is nearly as bad as the power output and torque. Where you lot call them "bling", us Brits just point and laugh at them.

Oh, and two more things, Mercedes build quality is at best patchy. Im afraid they are not rock solid as their reputation would have you believe.
    If you buy a Porsche Cayenne you will get hand gestures/verbal-abuse, and im normally a well mannered person.

The sensible and respectable decision would be the Touareg.
    The more interesting choice would be the Disco.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

How does the GC suffer on road, just out of curiousity.

Also a nice thing about the GC, the new engine dubs itself down to a V-4 on just plain highway drive to increase fuel economy. Just a nice little tid bit.

jon

11. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Thsi is why i was hesitant to post, sometimes our european cars differ from the american equivalents. But assuming that they are the same;

The grand cherokee isnt especially bad around the twisty bits, it just cant keep up with the X5, Volvo, touareg. It wallows a little in corners, its softer, so it doesnt stay as level. Ofcourse that means its pretty good off-road.

The GC doesnt have as advanced a suspension as say the touaregs or X5s. Frankly i hate BMWs, but after a workmate sneered at my car and then took me in his X5 to show off just what a dickless **** he can be, i was rather impressed. Its much better on tarmac than i expected. I doubt its much good off road though.

Also i dont think there is a GC with a diesel lump. If i was going off road i would want a diesels power delivery.

Must say though, i have a very soft spot for the old cherokee. Its just respectable and dignified.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Oh ok, well I agree with that. Despite its Hemi model, thats only going to go so far. One some turns kick in those BMW's w/ AWD will beat it. When we were having our BMW serviced they gave us a X3 to drive around. My friends and I drove the hell out of that car, drove it like a race car and it never scared us one bit. An impressive SUV at that.

Now with offroading, the X5 would not be ideal. If I were to get an X5 I would probably have two sets of tires and rims. Performance tires for the summer and spring, and if you have a heavy winter with snow and ice I would get some tires better geared for offroading. I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and they are exceptionally good for all weather conditions including snow.

jon

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Then you don't need an SUV. Or 4x4.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I pointed out 3 different station wagons, the FWDs with traction control do quite well in the snow -- some owners say the VW FWDs with the traction control were better in the snow than the people's 4wd SUVs.

They were smaller and easier to control... unlike some SUVs which tend to play possum on the side of the road with their wheels sticking up in the air much more often than cars/wagons which just get stuck.

Of course Audi has a bunch of AWD wagons, and the Volvo VR70 wouldn't be a slouch if you don't mind the manual tranny.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Sun Baked

Forgive me if I appear to be a little rough with my feelings on the Dodge Magnum. And it is a little silly I guess, and not even the car's fault.

But! I really hate marketing sometimes.

The Magnum is a friggin station wagon! Not some original-idea-fusion-crossover-suv-car-gee-look-at-us-original-thinking-engineered new vehicle. And I wish it weren't marketed as something so original.

Sorry, I really find marketing to peeve me often. I think Ford just came out with a station wagon too. At least Subaru was honest about it.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There's nothing wrong with a station wagon... all the interior room of an SUV, with a low center of gravity.

The only thing that is novel about the Magnum, or it's other Chrysler RWD brothers, is that they're the first vehicles in a long time that will be eyed as serious Ford Crown Victoria replacements in the police forces as soon as Dodge decides to offer a service vehicle package.

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Sun Baked

Never said there was. It was the marketing.

18. iGav macrumors G3

My mum lives on the test route for Jaguar/Aston Martin/Land Rover/Range Rover ;) I got to see one of the new Range Rover Sport's last week go whizzing past when I was walking the dog, not a bad piece of kit at all, very dynamic looking and made a great noise as it went past, half muscle car half low flying jet!

Anyway... buy a Disco ;)

19. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

My votes go for the LR3 (MTSUVOTY), ford freestyle or hybrid escape (good fuel economy with capable AWD), or volvo XC90 with the T6 (or the new yamaha V8 if you want power, but you said you wanted economy).

20. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hey Everyone thanks for the responses,

I honestly think the dodge magnum by far the most repulsive looking vehicle I have ever seen in my entire life. (I am not a chrysler fan).

I do like jeeps, but not the 2005 Grand Cheerokee or Liberty- ugh- they are starting to look like chryslers and dodges.

I have narrowed it down to

another Rangey
    maybe Range Rover Sport- I have to see it when it comes out
    Land Rover LR3
    V8 Toureg (gets about the same MPG as the V10 Diesel)
    XC90 T6
    BMW X5

I think I really like the X5 the most aside from the Range Rover. I went to BMWs website and built the X5 for about 15,000 less than the Range Rover.

21. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

lol.

the touareg V10 diesel is meant to be so damn good. For offroading u wud want a diesel too thanks to the torque and power delivery.

Well my vote goes to the volvo.
    But i suspect youre a bit taken by that BMW, cant blame you either its a great machine.

and thats my 2 pence

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In that case, can I interest you in a AWD 2005 Pontiac Aztek?

23. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow thats a tuffy- how 'bout not!
    (do they even make that anymore)- OMG i just checked and they still do- who would buy one.

Which is uglier: Magnum, Aztec, Rendezvous, or Element.

I don't know about spending 60,000 on a VW, not that they are bad cars but it just seems redonculous.

I have been taking a liking ot the the Jaguar S-Type and XJ- maybe i should sell my Audi instead....

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Stay away from the VW Toureg if you plan on keeping it longer than the warranty or do a lot of slow tight turns (hit the stop type.)

Some of the early ones suffered from some horrible frond-end problems that showed up in the parking lots, and tended to chew up the front tires, then the stepper motor, then the front differential, then the tranny.

VW Vortex Toureg Forum

25. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile