Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmackle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Just bought a new car (2017), plugged in my 80 GB gen4 iPod classic via USB port but the car never recognizes it (but it charges it!). My wife's car (2013) does the same thing. The car I just sold (2009) always worked great but now I find myself with a hard drive of all my tunes that will not work. I've found male 30-pin to female Lightning adapters but their descriptions state they don't support data, only charging. Apple no longer supports that iPod. Is there any way to fix this?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just bought a new car (2017), plugged in my 80 GB gen4 iPod classic via USB port but the car never recognizes it (but it charges it!). My wife's car (2013) does the same thing. The car I just sold (2009) always worked great but now I find myself with a hard drive of all my tunes that will not work. I've found male 30-pin to female Lightning adapters but their descriptions state they don't support data, only charging. Apple no longer supports that iPod. Is there any way to fix this?

I would say no. Being your vehicles software isn't compatible. That said, you could Contact your auto manufacturer for assistance.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
If you can't get it to work with USB, I'd imagine that the car stereo has an auxiliary input, that will definitely work with the iPod. Granted, you won't get playback controls from the steering wheel/stereo, but it'll play your music.

Good luck! :)

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Speaking of iPods only, there is at least one big cliff in iPod software. I believe it happened when the iPod video was released. From my personal experience (across two cars) The ipod mini and iPod3 (first 40gb with the row of buttons across the top of the scroll wheel are "old" ipod software. Anything after that is "new software."

I picked up a few broken iPod mini's on e-bay, and did a memory card switch to solve for my situation. The mini is a good choice as a lot of people break the headphone jack trying to change the battery. (No judgment there, I learnt on my first one, too.) My car audio uses the 30 pin, so i couldn't care less if the head phone jack works.

A 64 gb memory card is reasonable now, too. I'd also make the comment your 120 gb Classic is too valuable to be used/left in the hostile conditions of a car. Of course, this is from an envious person that wishes he purchased one before they were discontinued!

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Had the same issue with my iPod 80GB Classic on my GTI. So my only option was buy a new iPod or just use the SSD card reader. I chose the latter. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.