New Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by robbieduncan, Jun 25, 2003.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My old car has died. It was 11 years old and done 137000 miles so that's not too bad. It's stuck in 2nd gear so no real use. Going to get it scrapped.

Anyway I've bought (well agreed to buy once I arrange a loan) and nice Citroen Saxo VTR. 1.8l 16v engine, air con, ABS, 6 disc CD changer. Pretty good for £3450. Unfortunatly I have to wait to a week on Saturday to get it.

Still pretty happy :)

2. void macrumors 6502

You mean this car?
    [​IMG]
    edited

ok man... u are really pushing it...

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Here is a pic of the actual car i bought:

[​IMG]

I'm so happy!

4. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's a Saxo - older, smaller, nastier. The peddles are so close together on those they are difficult for a bloke to drive!

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Eek, that looks like my dad's Mazdaaaa 323 Coupe, it has like 10 million miles on it and it leakes...

I hope that care is better tho, good luck.

(Not trying to diss your car, it just looks so similar)

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Cool!

It looks really cool man, congratulations!

I wish we could get some of those Euro only cars here in the states. I am a sucker for compact cars.

7. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This ones 5 years old, but has only done 20000 miles. Seems to be in good shape too. Still on the original tyres!

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, i guess europeans don't tend to take their cars as far (over a given period of time). my honda was 7 years old and had about 86000 miles on it! ah well, good luck man, it looks sharp ;)

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

haha, living in London I'm not suprised what-so-ever. Takes 3 hours to get from one edge of the city to the other (but it isn't really one city).

When my family went to Europe we spent a lot of time driving especially NOT when in England. The traffic was too bad, and it took FOREVER to get anywhere.

But London was REALLY cool. I would love to go back there and piss around. It was fun to just walk around town, lots of interesting places and people.

Congrats on your new car. Red is such a classic color - I love it. :)

scem0

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

congrats on the new car - good luck with it. And from experience from my new car thread a couple months ago, ignore anyone who doesn't like your choice - it got really bad in my Element thread. Everyone has different tastes and means, so if you're happy with it great! Its not like you're asking everyone else to buy one ;)

D :D

11. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I hope everyone else doesn't buy one. You don't see too many of these on the roads and that's the way I like it. I don't really care what everyone else says (although words of encouragment are always nice :) ). I bought this as it makes sense to me right now, not because it's perfect for everyone! Hows your Element working out for you?

To those who said it takes 3 hours to drive from 1 side of London to the other, that's probably about right, but i tend to only drive around the eastern side and the roads are mostly OK here (not like the US, but OK). I can get to the Channel Tunnel terminal in about an hour from my front door if I want to go to France so that's pretty cool!

12. Tommy! macrumors regular

What about Saabs? Are those generall considered good cars in the UK? They are here, at least in new england, where about one out of 5 people have one haha. Kind of off topic, but it's cars right?

13. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

i love the styling of the saab 9-3. glad to see the hatchbacks go. my only problem with the saab is the vector model's power output is like 200 or 220 right?
    that seems a bit low for a car in that price range.
    i was hoping more for a naturally aspirated i-6 than a turbo'd 4 banger.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

they're just jealous D...that Element is so damned cool... ;)

as for the new car in this thread...congrats man...hope u enjoy it! :D

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Remember that in Europe:

extra cylinders/displacement = extra insurance (like, a lot extra)

16. Tommy! macrumors regular

The current saab lineup is hideously expensive. Comprable Volvos have much better prices- expecially comparing the 9-5 to the volvo s60. For very similar options you will pay about 7,000 more for the saab. I have a '99 9-3 with a LP turbo ... It's not the best at climbing hills, but when youre trying to move through intersectionss that thing can move! It gets great mileage too, about 27-31 average. And if they're used, there's no beating the value. Congrats on the new car robbie, what kind was it that died?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Citroen make good cars and have had many technology breakthroughs, especially with the DS, SM, and XM series.

The Saxo looks nice but it also looks a bit much like the Peugeot 205 (206?).

Odd that the pedals are too close together, but it was probably never engineered for RHD.

18. iGav macrumors G3

It's like the 106, but that's because it's the same car...

Pugly's and Citroens share the same bed if you get my drift!! ;) :D

And robbieduncan, I take it you mean Xsara and not Saxo..... You're not trying to scam your insurance co. are you?? :p :p

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oh, I get your drift. I just can't remember which are which since I don't see either brand in the states in real life. I believe the Citröen BX was the first Pugöen.

I thought that the Citröen/Maserati combination was much more interesting.