New Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zeke, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Zeke macrumors 6502

So I'm looking at buying a new car in the 18-20k range. At first I thought Honda Accord LX or EX. But now that I'm looking around there are a lot of nice Sedans that are pretty cool (Mazda 6 for example). So I'm not sure sure...what are you guys opinions?

Thanks,
    Zeke

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

save and get an Audi TT. :p

no, actually what i would do is make a run for like a 1997-1998 BMW 540. standard transmission. blue with a tan interior. or whatever you can find. that car rocks. V8 with close to 300 horsepower. who needs a new car?

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I like the new accords too, and they are priced pretty good, too, IMO. Like shadowfax said, you could go for a used BMW or mercedes. I also like the new nissan altimas, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

about those BMW 540's in the range i mentioned. if you didn't notice, unlike the Audi TT (joke there ;)), they are spot on right in your price range. maybe even under 18K if you find a nice deal.

5. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

2 Problems I see with the BMW 5 series. First, a 1999 is going to start having problems (I know it's a BMW and reliable but things happen and the parts are EXPENSIVE). Also, financing a 5 yr old used car is tough. I would rather have something reasonable with low mileage than something that used to be worth a lot but it hads depreciated due to mileage into my price range (Example: my 1994 Corvette but this I can fix and it's just plain cool).

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

no, i wouldn't say your 1994 corvette is too cool... Corvette's sucked it up in the 90s, till like 1998 or something they started becoming reliable and classy. sorry, i don't think your corvette is comparable to the style and reliability of a BMW 5 series, but i do see your point. it's your call, for sure, but don't think a new car won't have upkeep. the overwhelming majority of severe car problems come from 1-2 year old cars that idiots don't think to keep in order. with a used car, at least you will be more conscious of the need for maintenance.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why do you want a sedan? I just got a Honda Element and absolutely love it!

As evoluzione, eyelikeart or moxiemike - they've all driven in it and loved it. Take one for a test drive and see for yourself - they're in your price range.

D

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Used '99 Camry for $10K, the lots are crawling with them, and they're reliable cars.

Honda Element is cool, but can't carry much weight. Also, it's the first year. But it's all the versatility we wanted from a minivan or PT Cruiser and didn't get - and it's a Honda besides.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

actually, Toyota has redone teh Prius and it looks a whole hell of a lot better - the Honda hybrid still has those rear wheel covers that just don't work for me.

The nice thing about having a hybrid around the DC area is that you can go in HOV lanes during rush hour even if you're the only person in the car....:D

D

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well beyond the looks, the prius also gets better mileage now, as well as having more power. i think it runs more like the civic does, though i can't say for sure. i personally have no problem with the way either of them look.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The civic hybrid looks like a normal civic, I believe you are thinking of the insight, that one has those funky wheel cover things.

I had good luck getting a 2 year old civic from a rental car sales lot, paid $14,000 for it with under 35,000 miles. It was a good experience, the cars are well maintained and in good shape, come with a 30 day warranty in most cases, and there is no pressure from a salesperson.

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My mom just got a Subaru Outback Legacy wagon. They're pretty cool.

If you want a small car with good power, and the ability to go where no other small car can go, you an get a low-end Subaru Impreza, or even a legacy sedan, although I think the prices are up in the 20k-25k range.

I'd say for reliability, nothing beats a Toyota. Nothing.

I have a 12 year old Toyota Truck that has been running fine, without an engine rebuild or anything.

The choice is up to you, I'd just say be sure to shop around, and talk the dealership into the best deal you can get...

15. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

A new VW GTI, VR6 if you get it. I love the way they look, and the hatch is very useful. My first car's going to be one!

However, I would alos take a look at a used Audi. The S4 is nice, and I know a guy who used to have one, and he loved it.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't know if they are available in the states but check out the Seat Lean Cupra (and the Cupra R if you have the cash). A friend just got a Cupra and it's amazing.

The VW group own Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi. So the Leon is basically a VW Golf with an Audi interior. But it costs less than the Golf due to the badge! The Cupra has 180bhp and more standard equipment than the Gof GTI. It's a bit lighter and handles better.

17. iGav macrumors G3

If you could track one down, how about a late 90's Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, 278BHP, 4WD.... :D true it's not new... but it looks cool, and goes like a bomb!! If it wasn't for Audi's 'Uber' sedan's, then it'd be the daddy!! :D

How about an Alfa Romeo 156?? or don't Alfa's sell stateside??