New Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by robbieduncan, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Picked up my new car this morning. Jaguar XK8 :)

It's totally great. Second hand (obviously), but looks totally mint. In sports mode it just goes like a rocket when you put your foot the the floor. I'll take some pics later in the weekend (it's a bit rainy at the moment). I "only" hit 120 (mph) on the way back home.

2. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

very nice, my old man had a dark blue one, convertible. he had it from new when they first came out and sold it just recently...yours isn't an "R" reg is it???

i remember going for a test drive in it, guy on a ducati comes flying past and gives us the thumbs up (remember this was when they were "just" out) :)

enjoy it mate :)

3. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Awsome, I remember talking about this in another thread. Lets see some [​IMG]

4. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I love the XK8, best Jag shape since the E-type, I looked at one a few months ago before I bought the SEAT, but a) wouldn't have got the family in it and b) couldn't afford it anyway... :p

Lovely car mate. (Get some pics in)

5. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Ooo, i'm jealous

6. macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Very nice, make sure to enjoy it fully :)

I'm still dreaming of that day I can afford a DB9, I guess it's getting closer atleast.

7. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow. It's not an R plate, it's a P (or will be once it's transfered back to it's original plates). At the moment I still have the previous owners private plates on it (which she wants back as she's called Emma and the plates say EMA). I really want a DB9 too but this is as close as it'll get for a while :D Certainly not a family car, but it is reasonably practical: I did my shopping in it early (and filled it with petrol). I reset the trip computer so I can get an idea of fuel economy. I managed to average over 18 mpg on the way back, but that did only include one section where I floored it. I think with careful driving (especially if I get some long runs) I should get around 20.

8. Moderator emeritus

That sounds wonderful. I love the great shape and the pleasant sound of the engine. I never thought I could say that about a V8. :)

I hope you'll enjoy it for years to come.

9. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I am extremely, ridiculously, unbelievably jealous...That rules, man.

One day, maybe I'll buy a Jag...

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One day, maybe I'll buy a car (of any sort)... :eek:

Gotta graduate first. (sigh)

11. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pictures

Only a few pictures as the weather is still poor.

12. macrumors G3

You need to give it a run upto the M69 and max it on the UK's equivalent to an Autobahn. ;)

13. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

M69? Is that the toll road? If so I might well end up on it in November when I'm planning on driving up to Aberdeen.

14. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hello ladies!!!!!! :cool: :D

15. macrumors G3

It's the road that joins the M6 to the M1... ;) only 2 junctions on the whole 30 miles, is as empty as they come, and is as far as I'm aware speed camera free, and the Police pretty much ignore it. As it's so empty you can get a good chance at maxing your car, without being a danger to other users. ;)

16. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds great. I'm considering a stealth radar detector. If I get one then I can stop worrying about cameras, radar guns and lasers. I think I need it. The car is just too quick to not speed! (Yes it's a lame excuse. Yes it's my fault if I go to fast.)

17. macrumors G3

Makesure you get a detector that can be updated from the internet, that way it'll further reduce your chances of getting a fine through the post. ;)

You should take it to a track day to see whay it can really do ;) good fun are track days. :D

18. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Updates for what? I'm not looking at ones running of GPS as they are not really any good in France/Germany. Most of them have proper radar and laser detection these days.

19. macrumors G3

As far as I'm aware, certain types of camera's can't be detected by radar or laser, only their position via GPS, hence a laser/radar only device won't be of any use in certain circumstances.

You connect the device to your PC and it D/L's the positions of any new or moved camera's from the interweb and then gives you advanced warnings about their locations on top of the usual conventional warnings when you're driving.