New Career Path?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xli_ne, Nov 9, 2006.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I currently work as a Graphic Designer for a local company. I like the work but sadly it seems that the job offers around the metro are not what I would like it to be and I have no real desire to move to a bigger city. Seems that the top career paths would be something in the lines of a network admin or computer programming. Programming really isn't my forte but I do enjoy working on computers, setup up networks, stuff like that.

Right now I have a Associate Degree in Information Technology. With that and the many different certification that are required in the field, could I get looked at by future employers for any type of tech job? Or would I have to go the help desk route for awhile before anybody would give me a call for an interview?

Any ideas or stories would be helpful.

2. groundstrike macrumors newbie

Do what makes you happy, in the long run that is all that counts.

I spent 5 hellish years as a Sys Admin before I realized this to be true. IT jobs such as Systems, Database and Network Administration require you to be on call 24/7/365 and really limits your personal time. I used to joke that my girlfriend was my mistress because I was "married to the servers".