New Career Path?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xli_ne, Nov 9, 2006.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    I currently work as a Graphic Designer for a local company. I like the work but sadly it seems that the job offers around the metro are not what I would like it to be and I have no real desire to move to a bigger city. Seems that the top career paths would be something in the lines of a network admin or computer programming. Programming really isn't my forte but I do enjoy working on computers, setup up networks, stuff like that.

Right now I have a Associate Degree in Information Technology. With that and the many different certification that are required in the field, could I get looked at by future employers for any type of tech job? Or would I have to go the help desk route for awhile before anybody would give me a call for an interview?

Any ideas or stories would be helpful.
  2. groundstrike macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    Do what makes you happy, in the long run that is all that counts.

I spent 5 hellish years as a Sys Admin before I realized this to be true. IT jobs such as Systems, Database and Network Administration require you to be on call 24/7/365 and really limits your personal time. I used to joke that my girlfriend was my mistress because I was "married to the servers".