New Case Supports Rumors of Imminent 9.7-Inch iPad Pro With Smart Connector

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Less than two weeks before Apple's rumored March 21 media event, where the company is expected to announce a new 9.7-inch iPad, more aftermarket cases for the iPad Air 2 successor have appeared on Chinese commerce website Alibaba.

The case below, like others before it, has openings for a Smart Connector, four speakers, and a LED camera flash, lending credence to rumors claiming the tablet once tentatively referred to as "ipad air 3" will instead be a miniaturized iPad Pro.

[​IMG]
    Aftermarket case for new 9.7-inch iPad (Image: iGeneration)

A dummy insert provides a closer look at how the ports could be aligned on the new iPad, including a power button, 3.5mm headphone jack, and two speakers on the top; Lightning connector and two speakers on the bottom; volume buttons and a microphone on the right side; and a Smart Connector on the left side.

Multiple reports have claimed the new 9.7-inch iPad will have a faster A9X processor, Smart Connector, four speakers, and a LED flash, while a sketchier rumor from DigiTimes said the tablet could have a 4K display and up to 4GB of RAM. The tablet is expected to have both Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support.

[​IMG]

Apple is expected to issue press invites soon for its March 21 event, where a new 4-inch "iPhone SE" and minor Apple Watch updates are also anticipated. There is also a slim possibility that refreshed Macs could be announced at the event, as the time is right for updates, but there have been no rumors confirming that is the case.

Article Link: New Case Supports Rumors of Imminent 9.7-Inch iPad Pro With Smart Connector

2. ReneR macrumors regular

smaller tablet with pencil would be welcome, the current Pro is just too big for me, ...

3. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

4. arggg14 macrumors 6502

I have a feeling new macs at WWDC in June... When was the last time they were announced in the spring?

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. redheeler macrumors 601

redheeler

Last spring...

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Id be really surprised (and disappointed) if there wasnt at least apple pencil support added

8. pat500000 macrumors 601

pat500000

It appears that Apple is just throwing anything that comes in to their mind. First...they thought.."hey I have a great idea! Let's give them a large tablet and call it pro!" "Why?" engineers asked. "Because they will be a professional spender!"

Then Jon and his "pals" then came up with a legendary idea...."hey guys...since the first pro was successful, lets try to make it more cooler by making it small." "Why?" engineers asked. "Because we want them to think it's different by making it smaller and lighter." "We thought iPad pro was suppose to be big." "Not really...we're gonna make it small because people are suckered into buying new."

A legendary myth....ancient story about a consumer named, david vs. Apple, the Golith's brother.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

10. Dave245 macrumors 68020

Last spring when they announced the 12" MacBook.

11. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

12. xCharlieThomas macrumors newbie

Just my prediction. But with all of these welcome additions, especially Pencil support and 4K display, it'll be starting at $599 32GB

13. Mums Suspended

Mums

14. 0815 macrumors 68000

Really hoping that this one will have all the features of the iPad Pro (pencil, smart keyboard support, ...) plus all the features of the latest iPhone (especially the force touch) .... yes I use and love force touch.

To convince me to upgrade from my perfectly well working iPad Air, it needs to have all of the latest tech.

15. Seandroid macrumors regular

Are we just anticipating that the design is unchanging?

16. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Last year

17. iapplelove Contributor

iapplelove

i'm pretty excited for this one. my original air still does everything i need however if this air comes with all the bells and whistles of the pro they have my money for a 128gb model.

18. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Could you even attach a Smart Magic Keyboard Cover thing with that case attached? It looks like it'd hold the connectors too far apart.

19. 0815 macrumors 68000

Yes, I miss the times where they keynotes were full of surprises and not going through a checklist of 'known' items .... but I guess we won't get those times back (as long as we read rumor sites, but even main stream media is now reporting on those leaks)

20. Crambie macrumors newbie

Late mothers day present if it has pencil support.

21. CarlosQG macrumors 68030

CarlosQG

Is there a technical reason for the flash being below the camera or is it just a cosmetic change?

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

iPad Mini, iPad and iPad Pro. Where things are headed.

23. recoil80 macrumors 65816

Such a change will happen on the iPhone first, it is their main product.

I expect the new iPad to have the pencil and the smart keyboard. They are expensive accessories, so it is more profitable for Apple to sell them to a larger customer base.
    Maybe pencil and smart keyboard won't make their way in iPad mini so it will be a premium feature for the more expensive iPads. Besides I wouldn't use a pencil on a small tablet, and the smart keyboard needs a large form factor to have decent keys size.

24. mantan macrumors 68000

It's like the Conan skit from a few years ago...only with bigger sizes

25. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I'd like to see some refreshed product line ups that runs Mac OS X please :'(