Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
My daughter and I still play this together & I still see people at the local stop holding their phones, but not like a month ago, the "hotness" is definitely gone. There's not alot compelling to keep you going after you've played it a while - if you don't value the exercise aspect of it. By springtime, here in the U.S., I doubt it'll be played much - after everyone is quarantined to the indoors for the winter.

Well, it's not a game for everyone. Not everybody liked Flappy Bird either.

I see local Gyms are very busy getting taken over by a different team every other day.

Hopefully, over time, the developers will add some other features as 1 to 1 battle (without having to go to a Gym), trading items and Pokémon, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
It needs new features and new pokemons. Right now it's about grinding for stardust and hatching eggs. (Gym too but gym is like 5% of the total time) Anyway it will never feel like the real Pokemon game so I don't expect much.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
Thank god. I always found the game stupid. I have noticed even my friends have stopped talking about it as much. Except this one guy at work who is like 30 and literally can't stop talking about it. Even came up to work on his day off just to show everyone he got an Alakazam

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Many people have short attention spans. Many people downloaded and tried it because they were curious what the hype was about. Some were parents wanting to know what their kids were doing with their time. Many people are returning to school. What is foolish is some were investing money to create peripheral businesses dependent on the popularity of this one game.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I called this from a mile away. Right off the bat it just looked like one of those games that would be extremely popular for a month or two and then die out. When it first came out, almost all of my coworkers played it heavily. I would constantly see people in public playing. Now, there are only a couple coworkers left that play it, and most of them have moved on. I haven't heard a word about the game from people I know for a few weeks.

I also think this game lacks the long-term playing aspect. They need to make it more like the original games for the Gameboy, where you can battle other people using the Pokemon's attacks instead of just tapping rapidly on the screen during a gym battle. It would be much more engaging if you had to battle other people and level up your Pokemon through battling wild Pokemon in the grass. I feel like this would make the game much more engaging since you could battle against your friends and other players in real time. That's just my 2 cents though.

Or, better yet, Nintendo should just release the original Pokemon games onto iOS. I would pay $15 per game to play them on my phone since I loved them so much as a kid. A long time ago I downloaded an emulator on an old iPod Touch and put Pokemon FireRed on it, and it was a lot of fun. Nintendo would make a killing if they released their Pokemon games for iOS.

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Nobody is mentioning the region block?

So much potential in opening the game up in other countries. Slap on ads and you'll have a cash cow for years.

I don't really care about gen 2 and above Pokemon. Even though I played till emerald. Maybe I'll fire up a ds emulator to play black/white. The new Pokemon looks super weird.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Thank you Darwin.

raw

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Totally saw this coming. It probably didn't help that the game was literally impossible to play for nearly two weeks due to awful server problems. Also the fact that tracking was made nonexistent so the game was nothing but a disappointment, you know, seeing a Snorlax or Charizard on the radar but never being able to find it.

This shouldn't have been released until next summer to be honest. They would've had times to prepare and have better servers, would've had time to implement trading and battling from the get go, provide a more balanced experience, etc.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Why is this not on the front page like the many other Pokemon Go articles?
[doublepost=1471973863][/doublepost]
Many people have short attention spans. Many people downloaded and tried it because they were curious what the hype was about. Some were parents wanting to know what their kids were doing with their time. Many people are returning to school. What is foolish is some were investing money to create peripheral businesses dependent on the popularity of this one game.

Your last line reminds me of Pogs in the 90's. There were stores that only sold Pogs.

Last edited:

TheAndyB

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Did anyone take into account that school is back in session and the wandering herds of kids have been reduced during the daytime hours? I would have thought that thousands of kids suddenly reducing their play levels would have been expected. I also agree with all the cheats/hacks, etc. taking the fun out of it.

Uobio

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2016
Spain
People are finally realizing they look stupid searching for pokemons ( wich don't exist ) and start to do something better with their life, like not looking stupid, for example.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Apple should just release iOS 10 with Pokemon Go installed to our devices, people have no idea what their missing..the game is revolutionary!

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Apple should just release iOS 10 with Pokemon Go installed to our devices, people have no idea what their missing..the game is revolutionary!

make it one of the uninstall able stock apps. (even though they are now allowing you to hide most of them now)
[doublepost=1471986898][/doublepost]
Once they release the updated tracker and the trainer battles as well as trading it will resurge in popularity.

For a couple weeks then it will probably fade back down

uroshnor

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Because being outside and chasing around in all that fresh air was just too damned exhausting for the normally couch-surfing crowd.

PLUS having to keep you're phone on full bright probably caused many to have to recharge more frequently finally taking a further shine off.

It's probably a bit more than that.

Niantic kind of screwed up aspects of the game's design and balance, and they haven't communicated well over issues like server stability and regressing features out of the game.

The game balance issues mean it's relatively easy to get into the high teens, but by mid-20's it's starting to be a significant effort , and presumably by mid-30's is near impossible to level.

Basically people who go hooked by the early gameplay can spend money for a while to keep levelling up st the rate of effort they can afford, but they'll eventually fall off a (motivational) cliff, just a bit later .

eg let's say you can spend enough time at it to gain 20,000 XP per day. That earning capacity is mostly constant, and doesn't increase much as you level up. The cost to level goes up exponentially - eg 22-23 is 100k, but it's over 1 M at35-36. So 2-5 days playing (depending on use of lucky eggs to double XP earned) goes up to 20-50 days. Few people are going to burn cash on eggs, lures and incense for those returns, and their rate of appearance in poke stops is too low to do it on a continual basis by lots of walking. You could get a bike , so you can travel further, but you'll hit the same wall , just a bit later.

They really can't compete with people who cheat, particularly those who cheated early and continue to level with bots (approx 50-100k per day).

For all their experience with Ingress, they have perpetuated the same kinds of design flaws into Pokemon Go, but what works for the hard core nerd audience, does' retain the general population long term.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Enough Pokemon. I want Mario Kart for iOS, Nintendo!

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Games bore me very easy. Only games like FFX, Legend of Zelda NES, SNES games and N64 Orchard of Time I can't stop playing.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I don't know how any of this is a surprise. It seems that the faster something gets popular, the faster it eventually dies off. In marketing we call that "going viral."

Lots of people wanted to see what the buzz was about, downloaded it, tried it, and some people still play it, others didn't find it all that interesting.

When was the last time you listened to Gangnam Style? Let's be honest, we've all heard it but it had its 15 mins of fame, too. Not much different.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
It's starting to get old for me too. They need to bring trading, friend battling and gen 2 Pokemon

Agreed about trading , battling and Gen 2 mons

At least 2 of those were promised to be added "eventually"

Unfortunately it can't come soon enough

Ye it's just getting stupid now. Everyone that cheated at the beginning own the game, they have every Pokemon with insane CP so no one who hasn't cheated can touch them. I haven't even found a single rare Pokemon, haven't played it for 4 days now, think I'll just delete it, it was really fun while it lasted but it was never made correctly for the average player and the cheating ruined it. Sad
Did anyone take into account that school is back in session and the wandering herds of kids have been reduced during the daytime hours? I would have thought that thousands of kids suddenly reducing their play levels would have been expected. I also agree with all the cheats/hacks, etc. taking the fun out of it.

The cheaters and hackers are finally getting dealt with now.
And I'm not just talking the lame soft bans ( game lockouts up to 4 hours )
But actually locking, banning or terminating user accounts

A guy who runs a local GO player group in my city confessed to using an unauthorized locator tool once and last week his account was banned for just 1 use of said unauthorized tool

Reactions: BrodieApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.