NEW CINEMA DISPLAY AS A TV

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mashinhead, Jul 16, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

Can the nes Cinema Displays double as a tv?? If so how would you do that.

2. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Youll need a mac to do this. get EyeTV (search on google). Bam, TV.

OR

You could get a receiver with DVI output so you could get straight out of the box HD, pure digital (Im not 100% sure its capable of this though).

3. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I wouldn't count on it...

The only way one would be able to use the new display as a TV would be to get some software for your mac or pc suc as eyetv. The display has only a DVI input, therefore making it only compatible with DVI cards (i.e. computers). Althgough, there may be some RCA/S-Video>DVI adapter, or something to make it compatible with an analog input, but i doubt it. Can anybody else attest to this?

-ij

4. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

No you can't just it up to a digital cable/satelite box with DVI out, it won't work.

Here is a thread in which explain it in greater detail, and go into some of the caveats of EyeTV HD and VDVHS(a way to capture HDTV streams from a cable/sateltite box with firewire out).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79444

5. macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

what about a tv tuner card, what is the procedure for making that work?

-Bruce

6. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

TV tuner card could work fine, but there aren't any HDTV tuner cards for the mac, and only one coming out soon for the PC. If one wants to use the apple displays as an HDTV, then hardware scalers are really the best way to go.

As for watching SD TV on your display, EyeTV or a TV tuner card will work fine.

7. macrumors 6502a

Shh! Don't tell my "MyHD-120" card for my PC that HDTV cards havn't been released for computers yet. Hell, it'll be even more mad cause it's the second version of the card to be released. I think ATI has a card out now too and there's another company.

Your offending my PC! (not like I use it much anyways).

BEN

8. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

yeah, sorry I need to clarify, there are several HD tuner cards for PC and non (that I know of) for mac. I think that most (all) of them are over the air only, which means no cable HD on your computer like HBO and ESPN. I think that I read somewhere that the new ATI card may be able to tune in the cable and sateltite HD frequencies, but that is for a PC only for now, so not an option for most. That is why I mentioned the ATI card, becuase it may be able to tune in cable/satelite frequencies.

There is only one over the air HD broadcaster in my area, making it lame for me to get an EyeTV or an HD tuner card (if there were any for mac). The best option, (and most expensive) is to buy a scaler.

Here is a pretty nice one, I don't know if it is mac compatible though:

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.html

9. macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Wow, you really know you stuff, thanks for the informative posts.

I just simply want to be able to watch some TV on my Mac, maybe record Bronco football games and stuff.

So if I get a regular TV Tuner card I should be able to see basic cable (non-Hd) just fine, right? Are there any programs one should have to be able to record shows and such, somewhat like a TiVo?

10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm relatively ignorant about this stuff, but I'd think that the dual-link DVI plugs to the 30" wouldn't work with the standard DVI output on a receiver. Wouldn't it show up on only half of the display?

11. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

If using the monitor as a TV is a major feature you want, you might be (gasp) better off going with someone other than Apple. Sure, you'll lose that consistant look, but if the feature is that important to you...

Viewsonic, Philips, Samsung and others make LCD TVs that double as HDTV (But they don't have an HDTV tuner, you'll need a separate one of those) and computer monitors. Most also have an analog tuner. The Viewsonic model can do picture-in-a-picture between your computer and the TV tuner, or can even overlay the two semi-transparently over one another. Might be worth a look, if that's your thing.

12. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you get an EyeTV, you can program it via its link to some TV Guide-like site (linking to that site is included with the EyeTV software) that lets you click on a program (then EyeTV knows to record it).

Note that the EyeTV works as advertised, but that it doesn't come in as a DV device (even if you buy the Firewire version). So... you can record but not in a standard format (although you can export to standard formats), and you can't use the EyeTV as a video source for things like iChat. Minor detail.

Also, probably obviously, you can record only that which you could see with a TV hooked up to cable directly - i.e., not, say HBO - unless you use the RCA jacks on the EyeTV to connect directly to a cable box as input - and then you need to program the cable box and the EyeTV to record at the same time (well, the cable box just needs to be on the right channel at the given time).

Another suggestion: one alternative is to get a good analog->DV converter and hook up a VCR to it as a means to import programs (i.e., use the VCR as a tuner) - or use the cable box. That way, you can use the DV video source as input to iMovie, iChat (so you can broadcast the station to one viewer), etc. Might not appeal to you, but it's an alternative use case.

13. macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Thanks for the info!

14. macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hmmm, it's time for Apple to bring out their new device for the digital hub! I have been waiting for it for several years now... A nice new 20" iMac G5 (or bigger screen size) with built in HD tuner, comparable with the 5300's.

15. macrumors 6502

http://www.dvico.com/

Fusion III QAM for PC