New Cinema Displays - Still A Chance?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by Mr.PS, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Is there still a chance that we might see a new Cinema Display before the 18th?

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

theLimit

5. macrumors regular

eddx

I have been waiting for a major upgrade to the cinema displays since I got my laptop in June 2006 - since waiting like the rest of you.

I wonder if eventually the iMac will be thinner than the current cinema displays, then they will have to upgrade.

To be honest, it doesn't need to be a major upgrade, take the price down by a third and half the thickness of the screen and I would be happy.

One day my friends...one day :confused:

6. macrumors member

Yeah I was holding off on an ACD. When's the next big Apple gig where Jobs does a similar keynote?

7. macrumors 6502

One of the other rumor sites (AppleInsider I think) is speculating that there is a secret announcement to be made today by Steve at the Final Cut Pro meeting.

8. macrumors regular

Sounds like wishful thinking to me :(

9. macrumors 6502a

I have to say that my loyalty to Apple dropped a bit. Mac Pro really tested my patience and the update was definately worth it but why in the hell did they not update ACDs to go with it? I really hope they will do silent update this week so I can buy my MP+ACD and forget Apple for few months (until I have money for a notebook) :)

10. macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

It will be this year. Most likely WWDC, along with a new refreshed, redesigned Nehalem Mac Pro (no kidding, another one will be out then). Don't listen to the others. I think Apple is holding off till this date.

11. macrumors 6502a

Well, if they don't release in January then I hope you are right. There is nothing worse than buying something and 1 month later Apple updates it. If ACD gets update at the end of the year with Nehalem (don't expect Nehalem sooner) then I will be more than happy with my february purchase. :)

12. macrumors 6502

too bad about the lack of acd updates. i'm not ready to buy one myself, but a friend i work with was buying a new setup for herself, so I told her of the upcoming mac pro refresh and possible acds, but i just told her this morning to go ahead and head up to NH to get a tax free MP (she also gets edu because she takes a few classes every year). In good news she's buying a HP 30" monitor from IT at work for $900. She also claims that ebay has some HP 30"ers for $900 shipped, but i try to stay away from the fleabay these days. Still, it was tough to tell her to pay $800 for a 23" when she could get a 30" for $100 more. The HP is ugly, but she's a designer with a rather picky eye and she used it all day yesterday to test it and just loved the actual screen.

13. macrumors 65816

Just out of curiosity, what do you want a new Cinema Display for, exactly, that the current ones aren't doing?

Reason I ask is because you seem pretty eager about it, but haven't really clarified your need.

14. macrumors 6502

gallagb

built in isight & ir receiver

& i'm sure folks want faster reaction time better graphics capabilities

& somewhere, someone wants it glossy

15. macrumors 65816

If they had them, and consequently added probably $100 or more to the price of the display, would you actually commit to buying one... today?

Possibly, but that's a limitation on LCD tech in general which will get better with time, but Apple LCD's at present are probably among the best computer LCD displays available. I don't know what else you'd do until the tech itself improves... except to say this: Those who are really serious about color, clarity and contrast should stick to CRT's for the time being. Nothing beats a Trinitron in this arena.

Probably... but the greater likelihood is that graphic designers who tend to buy the higher end Apple LCD's don't. Matte displays are far better for accurate color and contrast. Glossy displays falsely enrich the image, which is a problem if you're trying to maintain a color match from prepress to proof.

16. macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Graphics

Actually, I have been looking for a new monitor and was really hoping that the ACDs would be updated. At the very least, their price is almost twice that of a similar display from practically everyone else. Granted, they have a nicer design, but a 6ms refresh time is pretty slow these days.

I just bought a Mac Pro and really would love the remote/iSight to go with it. Since they have discontinued the actual iSight, I would have to buy a new laptop just to get one! That's just unreasonable.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The current ones are old tech - the panel hasn't been updated since March 2006. I want what we all want. Built in isight, updated display, and more connections.

I most certainty would, I would order right now. Even if the display was $2500 I'd order it. The Dell 3008WPF is $2000... Money isn't the issue, it's the lack of updates. Sure the current ACD's are great, but they're OLD TECH and no body will pay full price for that. I want the newest and the best when I buy something.

18. macrumors member

19. macrumors 68020

i'd like thinner ones. and more connections.

20. macrumors regular

Well, having had iMacs for the last few years the glossy screen is pushing me to a Mac Pro. I'm ready for the ACD 30" but am very concerned by the threads on the Apple Discussion lists about the "dancing pixels" etc (2.5 years and growing). It almost seems like there are no good ACD 30's out there.

I was hoping a product refresh would give Apple a chance to solve the bugs without having to admit there is a problem (at the moment they seem to be in denial)

I would have welcomed a built-in iSight. The original iSight stressed how much better it was than the competition (better fps, better contrast, better reaction to lo-light), seems like Apple has given up on pro users who want to video conference without extra cables and attachments sprouting out of an elegant aluminium bezel :-(

As a designer, i'm drawn to the colour reviews for the ACD 30 (swop LUT etc) but am nervous laying down GBP1199. Seems like some folks are on their 3rd dislay and are still unhappy.

I might hang on to see if there are any reports of the Geforce 8800 "curing" the problem before I dive in

21. macrumors 6502

I ordered my MP yesterday with the 30" ACD. I figured it might have been a godsend that the ACDs weren't updated at Macworld. What if they were all glossy? What a nightmare that would be.

22. macrumors 6502

it's not that ugly, and the screen is truly something to behold.

23. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I don't think you need to worry about that. Serious image editors would never use a glossy screen.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would never happen...

25. macrumors 6502

Hardly. The panel is a S-IPS LG.Philips LM230W02 (for the 23"). This is probably the very best panel you can buy anywhere for a 23/24". The displays you are talking about aren't similar displays at all - they are inferior PVA or TN types. Hence, the price. Faster response times (for gamers) don't appear in S-IPS panels - only in cheaper TN types.

A comparable display is the NEC LCD2490WUXi which you won't find for under about $1100. The ACD 23" is in fact for the quality of the display good value. The main problem with it is the lack of inputs and the 1 year-guarantee.

The only change that Apple could make to the 23" is to things like the inputs (which personally I would like to see) because there is no better panel. Of course they could change to a 24" but this is not a better panel. Just a slightly larger one.

One legit worry is if you buy the 23" now, and Apple changes to a 24" then buying a second panel will be a problem.