new cinemadisplays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Mar 18, 2006.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

What could be the reason for the release of new Cinemadisplay dispays?
    What is lacking from the models that are on now?

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'd say that the only way they would upgrade them is to add a 33" display or something higher.

I think they have all they need right now.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Normally i would agree but look at Quad G5. Apple did move to Intel :D

4. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

A 33" Display? JEEBUS!

Why not just go with a 42" Plasma already! lol

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Hahaha, no kidding. Well, wait, that wouldn't really work, would it? I mean aren't Apple's displays PCs and Mac compatible?

The iSight couldn't work on the PC unless they wrote a driver for it in which I doubt they would.

7. munckee macrumors 65816

Some how I doubt that they're overly worried about catering to the PC market. I would expect to see an iSight in the new ones.

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Maybe they'll add ports to it and close that gap between them and 2005fpw's?

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If you look @ [URL="http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/'] this[/URL] that says the displays are in mid-cycle, so slim chance of current line-up of displays but there's a chance of adding another size of display ;) ;)

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple would really care. and it would work but it would require that you plug the display in via USB.

11. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

12. DragonHeart macrumors newbie

DragonHeart

the reason for the release of new ACD's is hdcp support, current apple displays will not support the blue ray dvd's, so you will not be able to enjoy full hd movies if they're protected ( blue ray dvd's are), you'll get a black screen or lower resolution. Apple will probably release new displays with the new intel-based power macs which will be released this year (august maybe). that's why I'll wait the new acd's, cauz with such high resolutions displays you'll want to see hi def movies (hd trailers work,they have no protection) on it.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, the new iSight is a USB device on the MBP and iMac so it could just be seen as a generic USB video camera by Windows.

You'd have to plug it into the USB port too but you do that anyway with the FireWire and USB hub on the current ACDs.

14. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Good point this - they could definitely do with expanding ports and interface options. Would help justify the price!

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'd love to see Composite ports at least on it, and some S-video loving. ;)

I'd buy it then.

16. odedia macrumors 6502a

They could really use an upgrade to the response time of the Cinema displays. It is currently 16ms i think, while most competition is below the 12ms. Very important for video/games.

Oded S.

17. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I really would like to see some ports like the dell display's and I would also like to see a really thin version because the current ones are really thick and a price drop.

18. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

With games it really does depend. For online FPS, 16ms is way fast enough considering that your pings to servers are generally higher than that... ;)

aussie_geek

19. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yes, 16 ms is fine for gaming. I use a Dell 2005FPW on my Windows box for gaming and it's great. You can notice slight ghosting, but ONLY if you really look for it. As for when Apple is revising their displays... I have no idea. I do know the iMac's screen has better specs, so I am hoping for an update sometime in the near future. And when that does happen, I'll probably end up selling my Dell display.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

There is room for improvements. The 20" iMac has a better screen right now than the 20" cinema display, so there's one big area for improvement right there. :cool:

21. p0intblank macrumors 68030

And not to mention pros like to use Apple's displays, so I can't see them holding off THAT much longer.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed. I hope they will not coincide the new displays with the release of the Intel PowerMacs, as I think August will be too long for many to wait for an update. Hopefully sometime in April we will see a refresh to the line.

23. jaysmith macrumors regular

erf

i think they should consider a 17" widescreen display, with around 1400 x 900 res. something cheaper than the 899 base priced 20"ers.

24. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yeah, whatever happened to the smaller models? Not everyone needs a 20"+ display... I do, but some people would love a 17" model. I actually see this happening... but when?

25. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

hmm..

these things are cool, compact, cheap, universal... the apple displays are nice, but the prices :eek: ... i know they look good, but this also looks good (not as good), but still good.