New clamshell battery dies at 30%? Should I re-calibrate?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Littleodie914, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I just bought a new clamshell battery for my iBook, as the old one wouldn't hold a charge. It powers up just fine, the estimate of 2 1/2 hours sounds about right, and everything goes smooth until the battery hits the 30% mark. The computer just shuts off. Doesn't shut down, shuts OFF. Like you pulled the battery out. When I plug it into the wall immediately following the "death", it boots up and begins charging, starting at 0%. Does this mean that the battery actually is at 0% when it says 30%? So Mac OS X doesn't know to sleep? Is there a way to manually re-calibrate? I've tried letting it start at 0% and charge up to 100% while staying awake, and have let it wear down until it does, but to no avail. Any suggestions please? :confused:

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Maybe try restting the PMU. Im not sure exactly how to do it on that model, but the apple website should say how.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my snow ibook started doing that, but i use my battery heavily, i drain it once a day every day, and twice on weekends.

4. tamara6 macrumors regular

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Oh wow... That bottom part really is helpful. Especially the two graphs, I think those pretty much explain what's going on. Because I have a "dead cell", does this mean that a re-calibration won't fix the sudden death? (Thanks for the help so far guys! :D)

6. lazymuoio macrumors member

i would recalibrate and if it continues to die at 30% then you defintley have a dead cell and should replace the battery best of luck with the situaiton

7. tamara6 macrumors regular

There is another web page somewhere, but I just can't find the link to it, that suggests that continued recalibration when your battery has a dead cell can actually be harmful to the battery.

My Pismo battery was in this sort of shape last year, and I didn't realize what was going on. I tried recalibrating, resetting anything that could be reset, etc. and nothing helped - in fact, battery life only got worse. So my advice is don't let your battery run down completely - that seems to be really bad for it at this point. If you know your battery dies when it says 30%, then plug it in at 50% and recharge it.