Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
How are people "blown" away by this?

I like the look of the gloss finish better, but the matte is better for finger prints. My DSI is a matte finish and while it fairs better with scratches, it still scratches and usually looks worse.

I'm sorry but this is not something to be blown away by in my opinion. I'm still hoping for a little more change in design.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The glossy plastic looks nicer, but I imagine the matte will feel and wear better. It's hard to have it all.

Looking forward to it.

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
i was going to say the same thing .. shorter and thinner. Though thinner, maybe not. The photo looks to be a comparison of the Matte backing laid next to a full-up 3G, the bezel and glass adding to the total thickness. The camera hole is empty on the Matte and filled on the 3G backing.

I hope the matte is actually a grippy surface. Not necessarily rubberized, i think that would tend to pick up gunk.

my 1st-gen iPhone is about to get upgraded. The Home button action is spotty , not very responsive.

The camera hole is not empty on the matte. If anything, it is missing the chrome bezel around the camera which would substantiate the claim that the chrome bezel, on the front, would be gone in the next model.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I think the matte looks terrible, but if it fixes the cracking problems then I am all for it.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
The glossy plastic looks nicer, but I imagine the matte will feel and wear better. It's hard to have it all.

Looking forward to it.

I disagree, I find the matte finish kind of feels annoying and chalky after a while, I speak only from using a matte black incase slider and my matte black Nintendo DSI.

It just feels annoying after a while, then again so does a greasy gloss finish. I wouldn't mind a textured feeling like brushed aluminum. ;)

This however is not that impressive, calm your apple woodies down people, damn. This, as is, looks dull and boring.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
What I don't like is all the text on the one on the left (which I assume is the matte.) Hope that's not the actual look.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have the white 16GB iPhone there isn't a single scratch on the back of it what so ever. The chrome bezel has scratched at the bottom when I connect it into the dock, but the back and front are very robust, there is a video on youtube of a guy getting a key to the back of it, and only the silver apple on the back scratches mines not because I'm careful :D

You're so full of it. The plastic scratches VERY easily. It's just not as pronounced on white.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Whilst the matte won't scratch/crack it'll still be a fingerprint magnet

Plastic is plastic, it's going to scratch just as much. It will just be far less noticeable than gloss, obviously.

Matte will definitely not attract fingerprints as much as gloss. Mainly because you won't notice it.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Not feeling it too much, but having not actually felt/seen it yet I'd say it's too early to judge..we'll see the final product. I wonder if that rumor of the Apple logo lighting up could possibly be some form of flash for the camera? That would be cool I think if done well,

Macminiintel

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
You're so full of it. The plastic scratches VERY easily. It's just not as pronounced on white.

well i'm certain mines not scratched I'm holding it under my desk lamp as I type only the bezel is scratched on the bottom, i polish mine most night to get all the dirt and stuff off of it, iCleaner ftw

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Loving the matte back. My first gen is going up for sale soon. Any takers? Unlocked etc.
Dan x

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
if it fixes the cracking then excellent. as far as feel, I'll be putting an invisible shield on it either way, so no change there.

cgentry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I don't really dig the matte back. I understand the reasons as to why it's practical of it, but I still just don't like the overall look of the phone. I think the camera looks weird in this pictures, almost sunken. I'm sure there'll be better looking pictures after WWDC, though (if there's an iPhone introduced).
I'm going to need to be able to hold it and judge if it's really worth the upgrade.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
You're so full of it.

Seriously dude... if you wouldn't snarkily insult someone to their face (which I'm sure you wouldn't), what makes it ok to do it anonymously on-line?

Consider yourself called out simply as a token of all the others on-line who do the same thing.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Matte = better grip, less prone to drop? No?

Depends on how smooth the surface is.

If they actually spray it with that rubberized material then it will not only not slip out of your hand but it will feel really good in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.