Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
I have a 2008 entry-level iMac with Intel Core Duo 2.66 Ghz and 4 GB RAM. And thinking of upgrading.
I use Photoshop and Lightroom almost every day and do video editing on After Effects and Final Cut Pro often too. And a bit of web browsing.

- I recently saw that the entry-level MacBook Air geekbench is about of 6000 (double of my iMac) is it really twice as fast for everything? Please suggest other options too :)

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone!
I have a 2008 entry-level iMac with Intel Core Duo 2.66 Ghz and 4 GB RAM. And thinking of upgrading.
I use Photoshop and Lightroom almost every day and do video editing on After Effects and Final Cut Pro often too. And a bit of web browsing.

- I recently saw that the entry-level MacBook Air geekbench is about of 6000 (double of my iMac) is it really twice as fast for everything? Please suggest other options too :)

I guess it could be due to the new CPU but then again, the MBA is a low-power CPU and will not always perform at that speed. Now if you look at the mid-2012 entry level 13" MBP, the Geekbench is 7000 and you can get that refurb for $1,019.

You could also get a refurb 15" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7 cMBP with a GeekBench of +/- 11000 for $1,449. If you're going by Geekbench scores alone and then money, then the better money would be spent on a 15" MBP for the additional GPU, better performance, larger screen, and more expandability.

eloplayspolo

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
For Photoshop itself, your going to be using RAM more than the CPU.

For compressing files, videos especially, you are going to be using your CPU.

Don't pay attention to bench marking, they are not real world computing scores and aren't a SOLID thing to base a purchase off. If you are going to look at benchmarks look for benchmarks that are specific to what you do (rendering, compressing videos, etc)

If you do mostly graphic design, I would question why you would want a 13" screen? The resolution is going to be annoying to work on.

what about a new iMac?
If it was me, and I was in your shoes, and had the samish budget, I would get the base imac model and try the 8gb of ram (its going to be better than what you have now, and upgrade to 16gb at a later date - if needed. You could also replace the HD in the new iMac w/ an SSD (third party to save money).

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
I am looking down on the iMac because portability would be nice sometimes... And I would be using my current iMac in Target Display Mode. And I think the RAM is only upgrade able in the 27" model. But I think it is still my best chance. I would get the 15" cMBP but apple doesn't sell refurbs on my country :(.

I think I will try to hang on to iMac for some more time or wait for the next gen and buy the 27"

Thanks everyone!

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Actually about the Hard drive, do you think I should go conventional, fusion drive or SSD?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Go fusion or SSD. I had a 2011 iMac and it was quick, but my 2012 iMac with fusion drive is still quicker, noticeably quicker. I do many of the things you do and have noticed I get things done much quicker. SSD is slightly quicker than fusion but average people like you and me would not see a difference. Fusion will give you more storage at a lesser cost than SSD.

Remember though the fusion is only available on the iMac not Macbook. Macbook is either HDD or SSD. If you go with iMac, I would say get the 27" due to the ability to upgrade the RAM yourself. Can't upgrade RAM on 21" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.