New Computer Lab

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I had heard a few rumours of new computers in our labs at school and today was the first day, I went to go check them out. Well I walked in, and it was pretty much empty, just 5 new shiny MDD powermacs with 17 inch Flatscreens. I whispered to a friend, 'so where are the g5's?', the teacher overheard me and said they were in a factory. Est. Delivery 1-3 of Sept. :D

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

That's awesome...

I'm starting my first college class in about 30 minutes (I'm sitting in a hall outside the class, using the university provided wireless network).

My major is currently Computer Science, and we haven't been bought out by microsoft (or so I don't think), because we still use Unix, and they teach Java, not C#.

With word out that Apple wants to fill education G5 orders first, and the fact that my university has this desire to be on the cutting edge, I don't think it'll be long before I see the first G5's on campus.

And, one of the CS advisors is a Mac person. I'm not sure if she's just a mac user, an avid mac user, or a fanatic, but I guess I'll learn soon.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

U lucky bastard, I think u need to bring one home as a "study" aid ;) Then I can pop round and "borrow" it :D

4. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Re: New Computer Lab

Don't forget to get some pictures soul brotha :)

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:sees thread:

Did I hear un-tapped computers?

You should really tell them about folding... or at least install it if you get the chance!

:)

We always need some new source of Points and to help disease research out!

::)

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

well, just make sure you get clearance from the school before hauling off and doing that... There's folks with jail time for doing that very thing - using unused clock cycles on off-duty computers.
    Look into it - I'm sure the school would say yes, but you need to ask, and get their confirmation in writing.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm jealous, the only Macs my school has are a few original iMacs and original PowerMac G4s running an older version of OS X server. It's in pretty sad need of a serious updating. If we had G5s in the computer lab, I know where I'd be spending my spare time!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A public middle school in my neighborhood got more than a hundred new Macs this year - all eMacs. But they put no training ("staff education") in the budget, so some teachers don't know what to do with them. And they were all told that the eMacs are for student use only, so they can't put gradebooks or other of the teacher's files on the eMacs. And many teachers didn't get a printer, just the eMac. It's like getting a new car and a pair of handcuffs that you have to wear while driving.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That sums up the state of our public education so well.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And that's not the only story about bungling by the Los Angeles Unified School District this week. A friend of mine is a teacher who spent the last month interviewing for a teaching job at various schools in the area. It turns out one of the schools decided to hire her. They added her to their faculty list, assigned her a classroom, and scheduled her classes, but nobody in the hierarchy thought to phone and tell her she was hired! She was job hunting for almost two weeks more before she happened to find out she already had a job!

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Jail time?

:eek:

Please link me, the first I've heard of it!

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Holy crap, I just checked my college email account for info on moving in and got an email about the Mac labs being closed for the next week due to "intensive upgrades in both hardware and software across the entire campus on all Macintosh systems". I can't wait to see what this could mean :)

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since a year ago in summer, the community college where I attend, had been receiving new iMacs as the teacher's machines in each of our Graphics Tech. classrooms but as of early this summer, the same old blue and white G3s and early G4s were in place for students.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, we have a lot of original rev. A iMacs, a few B&W G3 towers, and a couple of I think rev. B or C PowerMac G4s currently. I've never seen so many hockey puck mice in one spot before in my life! Not to mention colors everywhere. I can't wait to go back...I will love to walk in and see dual G4s or dare I say, G5s waiting and ready for us to sign in on. I'd love to spend some time on one of those beasts.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hehe...my school has around ten 15" 'new' iMacs, 2-3 MDD Dual 867s w. FCP:eek: , various B&W G3s, and a rather large selection of very undermaintained Rev A. iMacs.