New computer time (iMac vs MacPro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Flyinace2000, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

my current PC is pushing 4.5 years and i have decided to stop fixing it when it breaks. So i am looking at two different computers to replace it, an 20" iMac or low end MacPro

iMac $2,043.00 (this config or whatever is release withing the next 2 to 3 weeks.
    or MacPro $2,578.00

2. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

What are you using it for?

Although my gut reaction tells me iMac.

3. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Have you not seen the new iMac updates today?

There's a 24" iMac out now, with superior graphics card, and the prices are pretty damn good too.

Brings the iMac range closer to the low-end Mac Pro that you are describing here.

4. relimw macrumors 6502a

I suppose it really depends on what you are using it for. My choice would be the Mac Pro (which is on order).

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, take a look at the new imacs.......they look good

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That MacPro is going to be pretty useless without a display. :)

(Do you have one already? That seems to be a factor in the decision.)

7. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Hly crap i can't believe i missed the iMac update. Take away my nerd points!

I think new iMac is the right choice. How is that 7600GT card?

Actually. Given that the price is really close now, maybe i will just go Mac Pro... I already have a 19" monitor and the MacPro gives me a much better graphics card.

8. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Actually, while the ATI card is superior (I think), general consensus is that the 7600 GT card is pretty damn good.

Oh, and 24" compared to 19" for the screen? Man, that 24" is going to be a thing of beauty - it's massive, 40% brighter than before ( :eek: ), and carries a 1900x1200 resolution. I think you should go with the iMac.

9. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

If you're only considering going for the 2Ghz Mac Pro, I would go with the iMac instead. If you're thinking 2.66Ghz, go the Mac Pro!

10. Flyinace2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I think your right, with the addition 19" monitor i can do some spanning (19"+24")

11. amack macrumors member

My Macpro shipped yesterday and when I saw the 24" imac I was beginning to wish I had waited. However having thought about it carefully I think the imac would be a fantastic home computer but the expandability of the macpro is what I really need. If you just need to surf the net, sort the family photo album and send e-mails then the imac is the one. If (and I think its been said already by others here) you are going to work with your mac (photography,film etc) the macpro is a must. just my thoughts.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Thats the common Apple syndrome; when i got my MacBook the 2.0GHz model started to look very attractive. Then i realised i had a dual core in the cheapest of Apple's laptops, and the 2.0 wouldn't be much faster than my 1.83. I still want one though :p

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Go the 24". Its going to be an amazing machine...but I would still suggest you wait until next Tuesdays past in case the mythical Mac Pro Mini appears.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The new 24" iMac and even a well equipped 20" model are pretty strong contenders even for some degree of professional use.

The Mac Pro is intended as a serious workstation that will handle heavy loads
    24/7.

Although I would go for the 2.66 GHz model, the 2.0 does have 2 X dual core processing, so it too will qualify as a workhorse.
    The extra internal storage, expansion capabilites and connectivity of the Mac Pro
    make it worth every penny if you need a system that powerful.

You have a decent display and the prices of displays are continuing to decline.

I think you need to base your decision on workload and how much you feel
    you will want to upgrade in the future.

If the MacPro helps you to increase productivity and generate more income,
    then it may be well worth the extra investment.

15. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

I would go iMac 24"

The 24" iMac's Core 2 microkernel is identical to the Xeon + a hudge display!

I was thinking about a 24" to test out instead of buying a 30" cinema for my Pro.

16. greenmac macrumors regular

The fps on the 7600 GT practically the same as the ATI card according to Apple's web site!
    http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html
    http://www.apple.com/macpro/graphics.html

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher