New Computer!

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Oct 25, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I am typing this on my new 2.4 GHz pentium 4 Dell computer. Here are the basic stats:

p4 2.4 GHz
    533 MHz system bus
    512 MBs of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    (That is a lot of good ram :D)
    40 gig HD
    MS Windows XP home
    Floppy Drive (LOL sorta funny after using an apple for so long :D)
    Fast CDRW drive (40x-somethingx-somethingx) - too lazy to look up how fast it is
    Geforce 4 MX (64 MB)
    It did come with a mouse and keyboard, but I already had better ones, so I'm not using the dell ones. :rolleyes:
    What am I missing?

Well, I don't want to start a PC vs Mac thread. I like Macs better, and I would get one, but I can't afford it. I had $600 for a computer. I could either get a 400 MHz g4, or a 2,400 MHz p4, I choose the p4. They both have their advantages. I sure do like the speed.

This computer will definitely satisfy me until IBM 970 powermacs come out. Now remember, this is not a mac vs pc thread.

(BTW - it is really fast on the internet. I like ;))

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, I guess we won't have anyone ranting about how desktop macs are cheaper than pcs on this thread...

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Thank the lord. Non-close-minded people. I hope y'all understand. I just need a computer that ins't already obsolete. The 400 MHz powermac just wasn't fast enough. Thanks for understanding ;).

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. vniow macrumors G4

This may be a stupid question, but why didn't you build one?

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I didn't build one because I never have, and I am not familiar with PC hardware at all. I know you don't have to be very skilled to do this, but I would rather have someone else do it for me. Maybe next time though...

9. vniow macrumors G4

It's not that hard really, just time comsuming.

Gotta research parts, then decide on which ones, and then wait for the orders to come in, not for the impatient, unless you're also cheap.[​IMG]

Also helps if you have good computer stores around, that takes some time off.
    Of couse then THEY have to order it which then thows your whole schedule off.[​IMG]

I built my first computer and will probably continue to build PCs for as long as I need them but it's not for everybody.

If you don't want to take the time to build one, then don't, go and buy one, but if you want to learn a bit more about computers, and be aware that if it f*cks up it's likely your fault cuz it was you who picked out the parts, not the manufcturer, then building is for you.

I like having the control over it as well.

Enjoy your new computer and I hope you blow it up when you get your 970 Powermac.[​IMG]

And if you need ny tips, don't be afraid to ask, many people here use both platforms and have gobs of knowledge about both.

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I would never forgive myself if I messed up when building the computer, and destroyed it. WHen the powermac gets here, I am going to put it up in my room, and this computer will go to my sister (no explosions :D)

11. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Just curious, why wasn't it fast enough? Do you work with audio, video... or do you play video games...

- Springs

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulations on the new machine!

I'm kinda surprised you got a Dell/Pentium 4 combination. I was thinking that you would buy one of those machines :D to play games but the Athlons are faster than the Pentium 4s at playing games. I was thinking that if I buy one, I'll end up picking parts and having someone else put it together for me.

Anyway, have fun with it.

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Hmmm...wasn't there a guy named PCChris or something here on macrumors that built cheap PCs for those who was going to buy a PC...

I'm probablity just imagining this.

Anyway, $600 for a 2.4 GHz probably means you didn't get a moniter, DVD burner, 256 MB DDR, etc. right? Sorta a barebones PC?

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've built numerous PCs and do tech support on them all day (as well as Macs) so let me know if you have any questions.

The main thing is just to do a lot of research online to see what you need/want and can afford.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you are now a PC user why are you here?

I am not going to flame you for buying a PC. You might be a pro user which the PC has a lot more MHz right now and would do work faster for you, but I just surf, email, mp3's MS Office, Appleworks, iPhoto, hobby digital movies and for me the design of the Mac is just nicer for a fun computer with some light work. So congrats, but I have a question to ask?

Why do you post here so much? If you do not own a Mac and you own a new PC wouldn't you get a lot more out of the PC boards? I don't have a PC except for my old Win98 machine at my desk where I teach, and it is pretty simple to do what little I need with it, but I don't know anything about XP or the new machines so I would be clueless on their message boards.

Can you really give a valid opinion of a product if you do not own it?

17. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: If you are now a PC user why are you here?

Um, sorry to inform you but a lot of us are currently PC users. The point of this site is not only a mac enthusiest site, but also a rumor site. What better place to go to when you're about to do the switch than at a rumor site?

So yeah, I'm a PC user, edvinow owns a PC, etc. Don't assume.

18. Bradcoe macrumors regular

19. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

20. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Well, no monitor or DVD burner but definitely non a barebones. It has 512 MB of DDR 333MHz PC2700 RAM (See 1st post) and everything I need other then a monitor.

I own a 450 MHz g4, and a 333 MHz iMac. THis is my 1st pc. I like macs more, but I got this PC because my dad needed a new computer, and so I am giving him the 333 MHz iMac, and he said I could have 600 bucks for a new computer. I choose to get a PC because I could get a much better one for $600. I still like macs more, I just can't afford one :(.

I play video games :D. I do a lot of non-video game stuff too though. I was just sick of Mac's slow GUI speed, and all around speed, and there was no way I was gunna buy a less then 500 MHz computer. I just want current hardware. Something that will last me till I can afford a mac (the pmac IBM 970)

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Re: Re: If you are now a PC user why are you here?

Well then you guys need to get on with it and get a Mac. The problem with reading rumors is you will NEVER buy one, cause the min they introduce something new, you know in a few months there will be something new again. I have been using this iMac for almost 3 years and I love it just as much as the day I bought it. When I get a new one, I will just select a good machine and buy it and run it for a few years. I hope you guys will make the switch soon.

22. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

For me, I don't 'not buy' computer because I know something bigger and better is going to be out. I buy whatever I can get for the best price at the time. For $600 the best computer I could get was a pc. That is why I bought it.

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well in that case you will probably never buy a Mac again, because they will never be the best price at the time. I think you made a good purchase for the price, but if you are ever expecting a new $600 PowerMac or even an iMac, I don't think it will ever happen. Heck even the eMac, which I think is a great machine for the price is still around $1,000. The only way we will ever see $600 Macs is if we someday become bigger in the market then Microsoft and there are tons of little spin off companies building them and competing against each other...probably will never happen not to be negative.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: New Computer!

those are really amazing stats for jst six hundred dollars

it is sad how far behind the macs have become but either machine, mac or pc, is great for the price compared to just five years ago when you would have to spend more than three times as much (1,800 bucks) for a home machine just behind the ultimate speed curve which is now the AMD 2600+ or Pentium 4 2.8 ghz

dollar for dollar on the speed for dollar front, computer power user magazine gave the intel processor 3.5 stars and the AMD processor 4 stars

the AMD trails by a tiny bit but is two hundred dollars cheaper

so your intel based pentium 4 at 2.4 ghz in a complete and respectable system for six hundred dollars is totally unbeatable price wise

good job

25. vniow macrumors G4

Easy for you to say, but not all of us have hordes of ca$h just laying around to buy a new computer.

My PC works fine for what I do, I have no reason to buy a Mac now.

Having one isn't a requirement to read MR, it's a priviledge.

I consider myself a Mac enthusiast rather than a Mac user.[​IMG]