new corporate typeface?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by jipper, May 15, 2002.

1. jipper macrumors newbie

hey peeps,
    has anyone else noticed that apple seems to be moving away from its garamond typeface with its new products? Both the emac and the new xserve are sporting this new font in their advertising...
    what is the deal here???
    Tim.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Uhhh...the Xserve page looks the same to me.

I think (hope) the eMac page is an aberration, since Apple is so easily identified by their typeface.

3. jipper thread starter macrumors newbie

this is not garamond

i pulled this directly off apple's homepage
    it was the coverpage title.
    this is definately not apple garamnond.

Attached Files:

4. jipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: this is not garamond

No, but this is (from the Xserve page):

Attached Files:

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It seems to be sort of inconsistent at this point...I hope they are just trying it out, and then they'll take all the negative feedback and just stick with Garamond.

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I expect apple to use Garamond for corportate and banners and this new font (What is it called, looks like a modified version of Skia) for products.

Ensign

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I hope they never get rid of Apple Garamond. I love that font. I will cry if they stop using it :(

9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I very much doubt they will ever leave Garamond behind, its a great font!

Ensign

10. jipper thread starter macrumors newbie

another idea

i have another idea guys, i don't know what you'll think. it's a bit far-fetched i know. But, could apple be using apple garamond for consumer machines and perhaps moving towards the skia-like typeface for the others.
    Skia: xserve and emac
    Apple Garamond: iBook, iMac, PowerMac, PowerBook

Just an idea
    And i do realise that the emac could be classified as consumer, but it is directed towards the education market and not mass-consumer market.
    Tim.

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: another idea

Since they are mixing the fonts at this point, it looks like they are definitely trying to introduce a new look. I'll bet that in July they'll start using that font even more. I'm a purist, personally. I like Apple Garamond...

12. jipper thread starter macrumors newbie

me too!!!

i also find apple garamond a much nicer font. Apple garamond is so distinctively apple. I really dislike this new font-- it looks much tackier than apple's garamond.
    Tim

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

C'mon guys. Change is good.

Trends and styles change, thats what keeps it interesting. Apple typically has the upper hand when it comes to noticing new and changing styles, and they are usually the trend setters. Give this new font a chance. You may end up liking it.

It seems like Apple is just hopping like crazy nowadays, and maybe they are setting up for a nice, fat release MWNY.

New font, new style, new G5?

Yikes, I pulled that last line outta my ass......

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I do not know but, the PB G4 looks like a PC and the new fonts too.

May be Apple is trying to experiment a bit with a PC feeling, I mean, that would work to capture more people from the PC world. And actually make sense. Apple designs have been radical these years, may be the future look is gonna be a very nice, fancy PC look a like or lets call it "more corporative".

15. Hecubus macrumors newbie

New typeface

First case of the new typeface was actually with the 10GB iPod. It's on the box.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

To me Apple Garamand is almost as much an icon as the Apple Logo. Apple with out Garamand isn't Apple.

But the fact that their mixing up the fonts is interesting. I'd love to see where they go with a redesign of their website.

17. Skandranon macrumors regular

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Sometimes you need to use a serif font, like Garamond, sometimes, you want the look of a sans-serif font, like the one you are talking about. Having a favorite font face for both styles makes sense to me.

Read "the mac is not a typewriter" not that I have, but it is supposedly excellent.

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i love apple garamond, i'll be so unhappy if they abandon it... they changed their logo, i'm afraid they'll change their font. i don't mind them using it on other products, like they are now, but none of their equipment would look right with a different font on it...

:)
    pnw

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

What I think about the Apple Garamond font is that it would be suitable for an excellent-appearing aqua "X". As for this other newer font, I would rather see it on some sort of non-Apple product advertizing. I like the new font, but I do not see it as an Apple font. This may or may not be temporary.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

21. joshb macrumors newbie

Should Apple decide to dump Garamond in favor of this Myraid font i'll be first to print up the 2600 Style "Free Garamond" stickers. :)

22. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Where can I get this font for my OS X word-processing apps?

23. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I did a search on Google and came up w/this:

http://www.macparc.ch/nostalgia/applegaramond/

There are other sites too, but they seem to have the same thing.

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, that is it. We are all really friggin geeks. Not just ordinary geeks, we are Ubergeeks . Only Mac fans would discuss, much less notice, the change in fonts used on the company's web page. Either we are sick with no lives, or we are the most fanatic fans of anything to ever grace our big blue rock. :D

25. boymerang macrumors member

Correct me if i'm wrong - but the first appearance of this Font was Screened on the inside of the G3 blue and white cases (how soon we forget).

i sense that apple will stick to Garamond for it's corporate image, and use the new Sans-Serif font (which looks nothing like SKIA, i'd like to point out - i'm positive that it's a variation on Humanist...it's somewhere between Humanist 531 and Humanist 777. evidently i'm missing a font between those two...hahaha. uhh, incomplete thought - right, apple will use the Humanist typeface (which is rather elegant as sans-serifs go, contrairy to your belly-aching) for their model-names. i don't think it's anything more Sinister than that. and i DO believe that apple's changed fonts before...i vaguely recollect an old sans-serif apple logo...perhaps in something like AvantGarde.