New Crucial "Ballistix" Ram for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lssmit02, Jul 21, 2004.

1. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    Crucial announced it is selling a new type of ram, called "Ballistix," which is compatible with the G5. Crucial describes it as follows:

"Crucial Technology, a division of Micron, and one of the world's largest direct memory upgrade providers, today introduces the Crucial Ballistix™ high-performance memory line, designed specifically for computer gamers and power users seeking maximum system performance and stability at a competitive price-point."

You can get a PC3200 512 meg chip with lower latency, specifically CL=2. Would you see any performance advantage from installing this memory over standard brand (CL=3) memory? I assume you would have to replace all your ram to take advantage of it as well.
  2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    512 is the maximum size. It would also be nice if they showed some type of benchmarks to show the advantage.
  3. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
  4. lssmit02 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2004
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I mean, if the G5 can only use memory operating at a higher latency, aren't you wasting your money?
  5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Not worth it on the Mac platform. The new Crucial RAM is primarily for PC overclockers that stress their computers above and beyond normal levels. For a Mac I wouldn't buy anything other than regular Crucial RAM, its not worth it.