New Crysis Screenshots = Amazing.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/imgs_1.html

Now this is something I'd call impressive. If this comes to consoles I'd be happy, as I'm not building a gaming PC to run this... but it sure is looking awesome. I doubt my iMac with an X1600 is going to run this well, too bad. MS, bring this to 360 please. :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do you think this will be Vista only ?

I have a mac pro with 4gb ram and X1900 XT so I'm hoping it plays well on it, even though I know its not a DX10 card, Crysis developers have already stated that it will run perfectly in DX9, albeit with a few of the new shaders sacrificed, or requiring CPU instead of GPU.

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It does seem to be Vista/DX10 showcase, but I can't imagine they'd not support XP/DX9 when that is *the* PC gaming platform. They'd just be killing their sales, almost as bad as a company making an exclusive PS3 launch title. ;)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. V.True :D

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

They've already stated its definately "doable" on 360 and PS3, and they have talked with both companies, but that there are many "roadblocks."

Pretty much the same story as WOW.....

I will be playing this on PC. :cool:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Me too. I remember the tripe they turned my beloved FarCry into on console. :eek:

Besides were talking 12-18 months after PC launch before console, and there's no way in hell I'd wait that long :D

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

What's funny is that looking at some of these jungle shots remind me of when I first played Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on the N64 and thought that game was impressive (in every facet, but especially graphics).

Looking at the jungle/foliage shots of Crysis makes Turok look like poo. :D

It's amazing how far games have come thus far and I can only imagine what's next. :eek:

8. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Yeah the crysis shots make me stiff in the pants, but the majority of us won't get past the install screen from what I heard. It may be the first game my trusty iMac can't play :(

9. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well hopefully games like PREY have made people realize they can put a full blown PC FPS on a console with pretty good success, rather then the retro-fitted versions like Far Cry Instincts :p

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

We're not too far from the point where games are photo-realistic, difficult to tell from a screenshot if it's rendered or a photograph. Once we reach that point (bad news for graphics card manufacturers), what direction will they go in? Ever more realistic physics modelling? Better sound support? Heat/cold?

Or smell generation for that true "up to your knees in it" immersive feeling? :p

11. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I think after we reach that point of graphical perfection, developers will be foreced to focus on fun and originality. This will be a great time for gamers.

I think to a certain point, Nintendo realizes this, and has designed the Wii with that idea in mind. The thought that gameplay is more important than graphics. The perfect system will have that mentality but with super-realistic graphics.

Edit: This is also why Gears of War is so successful. Relatively original gameplay, very fun, and amazing graphics.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Good point. I just got my hands on a 360 & Gear of War on Friday and am really enjoying it - much more than I expected to from the reviews. But I do think the "curse of good graphics" strikes here too.

Even though the gameplay encourages you to just charge through from battle scene to battle scene, if you stop and look around you see the detail of the buildings and surroundings; and most of it is wasted as a lot of players won't even stop and look.

Which makes me wonder if part of the reason that so many games these days are so linear is because no game studio wants to be devoting precious man-hours to creating artwork for areas of the game that no gamer might ever explore! Especially these days with the amount of modelling and artwork that goes into a HD-resolution game.

13. darkwing macrumors 65816

Those screenshots do look good. Until today I thought it was for the 360 and the PC, so I guess you'll have to come into my little world to get it on a console. :p

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think (technically) graphics will never plateau because once they pull off polygon numbers, they have to deal with framerates. Once they get framerates down, then resolutions are bumped up and they have to start back over again to get those same poly counts and framerates at a higher resolution (which takes even more power). Rinse, lather, repeat.

I think in most other areas - they've plateaud. /shrug

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't know whats left for next gen/pc stuff...All of this visual is great but whats after that. I agree the developers now need to focus on gameplay...soon we'll be heading down that path where we can't tell the difference between games.

The game looks cool even though I don't do much PC gaming but i'm looking foward to it when I purchase a vista box.

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

? Its PC only for the time being isnt it ? :confused:

So no PS3 or 360 confirmation at this point so what little world are you refering to ?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been following this game for a while.
    It still looks fake, but it's the best looking fake I've ever seen.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think this game looks really good, too. But then it's done by the same people who made Far Cry, which makes me think that this is just a name change away from being Far Cry 2. I mean, the environments look very similar (which they ought to) and the story is also similar. I think Cryteam is a very talented bunch and I hope that they really get their stuff together for the consoles as I won't ever be buying a dedicated gaming computer ever again.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The story has my attention too. I dunno how true it is (heard from a friend). but apparently that huge rock jetting out of the ground fell from the sky and froze the world. i like that a lot for some reason, but that's typical Cryteam (or whatever they're called)... excellent story, graphics, audio, gameplay. But only for PC :eek:

20. darkwing macrumors 65816

I'm referring to my little world where we believe it's coming to the 360 and the PC. Until today I thought this was the case. I was mistaken.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

PC is the gamers platform and Crysis just proves it again. Like HalfLife2.:)

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

[​IMG]

DHM runs in - puts down consoles yet again - runs back out again

need to find a

[​IMG]

to get over it.

:p

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im pretty happy with Halflife2 Graphics. Anyone play Lost Coast? Its like a demo level and looks beautiful. Pc's rule for some some stuff. Im also loking forward to the next IL2/Flight sim game from Maddox games. DX9 can make some very great looking scenes so Im not even concerned about DX10 yet. A modern Cpu & MidRange card and presto.........GAMING RIG!

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Because clearly graphics=game play!!!:rolleyes: