New Dashboard Gadgets site

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by thePurpleGiant, Jul 6, 2004.

1. thePurpleGiant macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2004
    Hi guys,

I released a site about a week ago now called The Dashboarder which is basically an archive for user-created Dashboard gadgets. It's nothing too flashy, but will be a good resource as more and more people create their own gadgets.

At the moment there are a few gadgets listed, with a lot more planned over the coming week. So come take a look, and participate in the forum if you are into creating your own gadgets, let's get some cool gadgets out there!

I hope this doesn't constitute spam, since it is a free service, and I hope this is the right forum! Enjoy!
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    That's pretty cool!

Unbelievable that there is a site dedicated to software usable only on a pre-release of OS X!

I wonder how many illegal 8A162's are around on Macs today.... ;)
  3. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    i doubt many people have pirated copies working from what i read on a forums it doesn't run on lots of comps it says something about not having some driver for the installation and on on others there are kernel panics of coarse there will be some that work but i think there is things like this site and others for tiger development earlier than usual because what was it a 16% increase of people at wwdc so more legit copies are out there
  4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    This is a great idea! This way, when Tiger is actaully released there hopefully will be a huge ammount of third party gadgets (though Steve called them Widgets and I think that is the official name).

I can't wait for Tiger, make some cool gadgets/widgets developers.
  5. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I wish there was an SDK for Dashboard for Panther so I could write some gadgets/widgets of my own, since I don't have the Tiger Preview. I wrote a few Konfabulator widgets back when the app was first released, and it's a lot of fun programming "mini apps". *sigh*
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hmm hopefully when tiger gets released there will an abundance of gadgets or widgets to download and make life fun :) good job on the site hopefully it takes off
  7. thePurpleGiant thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2004
    Glad you like the site guys. It wasn't in any way intended to promote piracy of pre-release copies of Tiger, but simply to allow developers to have a single place to share gadgets they make. The main reason for releasing the site now, is so that by the time Tiger is actually released to the public, we should have an active community of Gadget-creators, and a wide range of interesting gadgets.

For those without Tiger, gadget creation is still possible in Panther, although it can be hard to test fully. I would still recommend taking a look inside some finished gadgets to get an idea of how it works, so you're ready to go when Tiger is launched.
  8. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    it's a really great idea to have a site like that, and even better to have a forum dedicated to the creation and discussion of Gadgets. :)

glad you posted it here, or else i probably wouldn't have found it.
  9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    That’s pretty cool

Thats cool there is already a site for dashboard.
  10. mowogg macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA
    Drop on Safari

What's really cool is that it appears you can drop these on Safari and they'll work in a browser window. Good way to get an idea of what's to come. Cheers to the site!
  11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Excellent! I'll have to try this out as soon as I get home to my PowerBook!
  12. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
  13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    ugh, downloads are slow, even with cable...

Oh, did I say something? No, no, never mind... :D
  14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Totally awesome! That's so great that you can view them in Safari. I'd love to write some of my own dashboard apps, it looks like fun :D. Man, I don't know if I can wait a year for the full version :D
  15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    better get cracking on making some, then! major props to the creator of the site! it's not only a good concept, but the site itself is simple and easy-to-navigate.